Turning and returning to some secret place inside

kvnchrist

I was wondering if with the advent of the occupy Wall street movement, we are now returning back to a place we were in the 60's. I was born in 1958, so I wasn't that old, when the civil rights issues and the anti-war movement turned into mass protests, but I do remember the 70's when I was a teenager. It started out with the same spirit, but without the same issues. I remember the bell bottoms and the long hair. The smoking weed and doing drugs. People here, know well my past. I also remember, as the 70's progressed into the 80's. The hippy movement morphed into the yippy movement and flower power was forgotten. The new attitude was more into personal wealth to the exclusion of all else.

After a period of 40 years, has the me first generation reached the pentacle of their power and has taken the rest of the country with them. Are the protests the beginning of a new generation of selflessness. where greed and prosperity are placed on the back burner. Are we about to return to the hey days of the 60's with a new issue. Corporate greed.

It's perfectly fair to compare the Occupy movement to any previous protest movement. The civil rights protests, women's suffrage movements, labor & union movements, temperance movements, etc... none of these sprang into being full-grown. All began small, and all took time to accomplish their goals.

I'd hope that what we're seeing isn't a "turning back" to some romanticized heyday, but a dedicated effort to forward progress based on solid ethical considerations and compassion that makes good use of the historical lessons of those past movements.

"Slavery is a fabricated belief that a person may be considered owned property. Corporate Personhood is a fabricated belief that owned property may be considered a person."