What do you think of "modding" ?

bloa2

What do people think of modding, do you think it is good, or bad? Why do you think that?

Good, of course. They make the game better - in a sense of either improving it (graphics, gameplay, extending/adding quests, etc.) or making the game more suited to your personal tastes.

How did you get into modding?

Every "moddable" game I played on PC had at least one mod that I liked but that wasn't "perfect" the way I wanted, so I had to learn to... mod the existing mods, and later to create my first mods for personal use.

What is your favourite mod?

Kyoma's Journal mod for Oblivion (yep, I <3 roleplaying.)

Why do you think people bother making mods?

Because they can? For example, in Oblivion I wanted my house to be in a specific part of a forest near a river and so I created one.

Why do you download and play mods?

They help enhance the gaming experience and make Oblivion's replay value practically infinite (well, almost...)

I'm gonna have to disagree with most people, I don't really like mods. When I started Oblivion I started it with mods, and then I asked myself why do I start with mods when I don't even know if the vanilla is good enough? I restarted and it turned out that I actually prefered the vanilla version. It's hard to explain but, modded versions just feel like it's a different game for me. I want it to be pure, it's part of my personality to like things pure. What makes the game is it's quality, it's bugs, it's items, the annoying little things like stupid NPC's (adoring fan) or the very good things. It makes it unique. If you take that away, can you still say it's the same game?

Let's say you have an 80's Ferrari. It's old, not everyone likes the aggressive red color, it's nowhere as powerful as modern super cars, but it's a good old Ferrari. But then you paint it blue instead of red, change the engine, the tires, suspension, everything until the only thing you have left is the overall looks. Will you still feel like you're driving a Ferrari afterwards? That's where I'm getting to.

Now I don't wanna convince anyone, I know this is a mod community, and I get why people like mods. It's just like some people prefer to buy pre-made sports cars, others prefer to buy normal ones and then power them up into sports cars, if that makes any sense (money reasons set aside). But if you want different views here you have one :)

Edited by StormTemplar

They are like fan fiction, you either love them or hate them. I like certain mods but hate tons of others. In the end, it's all about mods that fit the seting for me and that's why I always download tons of armour, building and weapon mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Greetings.

What do people think of modding, do you think it is good, or bad? Why do you think that?

I think it's good. It greatly extends the life of the game.

How did you get into modding?

I downloaded a few, then decided I wanted to start making them.

What is your favourite mod?

I can't answer that. There are so many amazing mods out in so many different categories that I can't choose just one.

Why do you think people bother making mods?

To "fix" what some deem to be flawed, to create strange new worlds to explore, to add great quests, to expand existing quests, just for fun...the list could go on for several pages. Some people just like to tinker with things. I certainly do.

Why do you download and play mods?

To fix what I deem to be flawed, to explore strange new worlds, to play entirely new quests and extensions to existing quest lines, to learn how something was done so I can do it myself...I could keep listing things, but it all comes down to personalizing my game. Mods allow a levels of personalization that most games simply don't have. What makes this so appealing for games like Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas is that they are role playing games and mods add a much greater ability to actually role play.