NPC & Location Spawn Delay

iSamurai

Hello everyone,

Issue 1: So, I've recently started playing Skyrim again and I'm having a huge issue (kinda game breaking tbh). So, this first issue is if I wait in Whiterun (havent tested in other cities) the NPCs do not spawn when the work day starts which I believei s 8:30 or something. I normally wait till 9 or 10 to be safe. When I do this no one is out except guards. Then after a few seconds (about 10-15) the NPCs spawn & the game immediately crashes.

Issue 2: Sometimes locations spawn late. I went to Valheim Keep to get Amrens sword & there was nothing there except the base items. The door was missing there was nothing inside & there was no NPCs this lasted for about 30 seconds to a minute the items spawned. Then it took about 10 more seconds for the NPCs spawned (assuming its related to issue 1)

Issue 3: Sometimes theres a delay in sound & the drawing of my weapon. I was getting attack by wolves for 5 seconds before my sword drew. Before being attacked I was on my horse being chased by the wolves but they made no sound until I got off the horse & they attacked me.

Any useful help is appreciated!

Laptop Specs:

ASUS N550JK-DS71t

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz (Turbo 3.4ghz)

Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: GTX 850m (2GB)
Load Order (42) + I Cant Believe Its Not Enb 3:
Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=1
ApachiiHairMales.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
Duelist - One Handed Perk - Lowered Values.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp=1
Ish's Respec Mod.esp=1
WondersofWeather.esp=1
Beards.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp=1
Vivid Weathers.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Beautiful Whiterun.esp=1
RealisticWhiterun.esp=1
[+]K's_Faendal[+].esp=1
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp=1
SMIM-Merged-All.esp=1
SFO - Dragonborn.esp=1
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1
Imaginator BETA.esp=1
Ish's Souls to Perks.esp=1
Disband the Thieves Guild.esp=1
GuildStarter.esp=1
Glass Variants.esp=1
Immersive Weapons.esp=1
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp=1
Bijin Wives.esp=1
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp=1
NPC_Overhaul_V_1_.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Dawnguard.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Dragonborn.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp=1

Most of these are signs of severe papyrus/scripting issues due to stress overload (too many scripts going or bad scripts running) or improperly set/edited INI papyrus configs for the base game by the user or possibly from removing mods with scripts from a save and continuing to play and save the game without them. Particularly the weapon sheathing and sound thing and AI packages being off reeks of script problems.

How large is your save file? IIRC 20 MB's and higher the game is dangerously close to being instant CTD on load, but I imagine possible issues will arise prior to this if some of that save bloat is from scripts going out of control.

AI packages can also get a bit out of whack if there is a lot of CPU strain, the engine is a bit clunky and even with a 5 GHZ Intel beast, the engine can have CPU related strain problems (and not even break 25% CPU usage) if there are a lot of NPC's, items, objects, particle effects, animations, scripts, really complex meshes are doing all sorts of interesting things that are not in the base game all at once or in a particular area which has a lot of them.

The engine is also not a huge fan of soft cores/hyper threading (i7 cpu feature), it cannot tell a soft core apart from a hard core (due to it's age), so it might be using a slow fake CPU thread. You can test this by disabling hyper-threading on your CPU for a bit and see if it helps any.

Edited by Darthsith

• 2 weeks later...

Most of these are signs of severe papyrus/scripting issues due to stress overload (too many scripts going or bad scripts running) or improperly set/edited INI papyrus configs for the base game by the user or possibly from removing mods with scripts from a save and continuing to play and save the game without them. Particularly the weapon sheathing and sound thing and AI packages being off reeks of script problems.

How large is your save file? IIRC 20 MB's and higher the game is dangerously close to being instant CTD on load, but I imagine possible issues will arise prior to this if some of that save bloat is from scripts going out of control.

AI packages can also get a bit out of whack if there is a lot of CPU strain, the engine is a bit clunky and even with a 5 GHZ Intel beast, the engine can have CPU related strain problems (and not even break 25% CPU usage) if there are a lot of NPC's, items, objects, particle effects, animations, scripts, really complex meshes are doing all sorts of interesting things that are not in the base game all at once or in a particular area which has a lot of them.

The engine is also not a huge fan of soft cores/hyper threading (i7 cpu feature), it cannot tell a soft core apart from a hard core (due to it's age), so it might be using a slow fake CPU thread. You can test this by disabling hyper-threading on your CPU for a bit and see if it helps any.

So, my save files total to about 993MB (SKSE & ESS & BAK) :ohmy: I have been saving pretty frequently incase of crashing before an auto save. Do I just delete past saves or will that cause problems? How do I see script problems like what do I need to change/check. I've used Loot & TS5Edit ( not sure if I did properly but I got it to stop giving me notices in loot) I feel like the AI isnt really that different from vanilla besides Apachii hair, Faces, & the npc overhaul. As for the hyper threading Im not too informed on CPU thinks where exactly would I go to change this setting?

Thanks!

So, my save files total to about 993MB (SKSE & ESS & BAK) :ohmy: I have been saving pretty frequently incase of crashing before an auto save. Do I just delete past saves or will that cause problems? How do I see script problems like what do I need to change/check. I've used Loot & TS5Edit ( not sure if I did properly but I got it to stop giving me notices in loot) I feel like the AI isnt really that different from vanilla besides Apachii hair, Faces, & the npc overhaul. As for the hyper threading Im not too informed on CPU thinks where exactly would I go to change this setting?

Thanks!

Here is one link to a guide on disabling hyper-threading, if it does not help other guides for your specific version of windows might be more useful.

Identifying script problems is usually done on a mod by mod basis, look at your load order, identify script heavy mods or any mod with scripts and investigate their mod pages and commentaries to see if anyone is talking about issues. There are a number of well known bad script mods you should stay away from, some but not all are on a list here.

Others not on that list off the top of my head:

Footprints

WondersOfWeather (IIRC)

Wet and Cold

Headtracking (aka Player Headtracking)

Enhanced Blood Textures (a minor offender)

BFSEffects/Burn Freeze Shock Effects

Also, I was talking about individual save size, particularly the ESS file, not the entire folder of saves, although a large amount of saves in that folder can cause game menu latency. You can delete as many saves as you are comfortable with, although you can simply back them up in another folder just in case.

And what I meant by 'AI' was how NPC's think and make choices, (when to eat, sleep, go home or to a tavern etc etc), not hair additions or statistic or aesthetics changes and so on.

Edited by Darthsith