Mod porting from Oblivion

Zachcuden

Will some of the armors and weapons that are totally custom made be able to port to skyrim? Obviously we don't have the creation kit yet but what do you think? I really hope some of the really good work comes back to Skyrim. I mean can it be as simple as putting it from A to B or would it have to be completely redone? Say something as simple as a sword made from a 3d modeller

Considering people have taken items made for Morrowind and put them in every GameBryo game through to New Vegas, I don't see why there would be any problems with it. Of course, that all depends on the creator of the content porting it or giving permission.

It's freeware, so it's probably just polite to ask permission. Plus, I doubt any sites would host your mods if you stole things. I'd ask permission whether I was planning on republishing or not, but for personal use I doubt anyone would take offense. Best to be safe though. That's my two cents.

Oh okay sounds good. So if I somehow learn how to port I still have to ask for permission right? Or do you only need permission if you're reuploading it?

You need permission from everyone that created assets for the mod, unless otherwise noted in their readme's or whatever. Some people don't mind if you use something as long as you give them credit, but if you don't see anything like that, you should ask. Also, most people are probably going to want to port over their own stuff. It's likely you won't get many permissions to do it for them. You can always port over that stuff and use it yourself, though, as long as you don't distribute it.

It's freeware, so it's probably just polite to ask permission.

Generally, no, it is not.

Most resources and mods for Oblivion contain files which were either directly from Oblivion or which were derrived from Oblivion resources. Both of these would be illegal to upload or use within Skyrim, even if you made the necessary conversions. Since many authors are not upfront about how much of their work is 100% their own, or may have forgotten that they used a small part of an Oblivion resource, there is considerable risk for anyone porting these mods over.

Additionally, if it comes to light that many people are porting over mods and resources from Oblivion without gaining permission, porting by 3rd parties may be blocked outright and be a bannable offense in the first few weeks of release.

Put simply, it's best to just start new, with a fresh slate.

It's freeware, so it's probably just polite to ask permission.

Generally, no, it is not.

Most resources and mods for Oblivion contain files which were either directly from Oblivion or which were derrived from Oblivion resources. Both of these would be illegal to upload or use within Skyrim, even if you made the necessary conversions. Since many authors are not upfront about how much of their work is 100% their own, or may have forgotten that they used a small part of an Oblivion resource, there is considerable risk for anyone porting these mods over.

Additionally, if it comes to light that many people are porting over mods and resources from Oblivion without gaining permission, porting by 3rd parties may be blocked outright and be a bannable offense in the first few weeks of release.

Put simply, it's best to just start new, with a fresh slate.

Ohh okay gotcha. Eh by my first run through the mods I'm looking for will probably be released anyway! thanks!

If you wanted to take a mod form Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV then it would be best to ask permission now as usually modders take their time to reply to your request if you’re lucky, sometimes you will never hear back and you can't just take any mod and use it, without permission.