Skyrim REALLY looks like BEOWULF right?

Diso

Lol I'm not happy, doesnt really matter if its ripped or not. Just saw the resemblance and wanted to share it :].

I don't think anyone is disrespecting you for sharing; it's just that a little quick and easy research can do wonders.

I Googled "Beowulf" and the first entry in the results was indeed regarding the film, but the second was for the wikipedia entry where you can learn more about the epic poem.

I dont know about a poem, all I know it was quite a good movie and it WAS about dragons. Because the treasure in the movie ought to be from the dragons throat or something like that.

But back to the main subject, there is quite a resemblance right? I mean even the music sounds alike..

1. It wasn't a good movie, anyone serious about folklore wouldn't even use the DVD as a coaster.

2. It WAS NOT about dragons, it featured a single dragon who was spawned in the last 20minutes after Beowulf got down and dirty with Grendel's mother, the offspring of this formed a creature who could TRANSFORM into a dragon.

3. Treasure? Wut!? He rips out the 'Dragon's' heart from it's throat. C'mon I hated the movie and I can still remember what happened.

Skyrim's artistic direction flows closely alongside that of the Norse/Viking/Olde English theme, so yes the music and style of buildings is going to be alike, the themes of that age are massively popular, they celebrate a time of brutal combat and superstition - something Skyrim is delivering in bucket loads. I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread was the connection between the two medias was obvious, however I can 100% guarantee Beth aren't copying Beowulf if that's what you're getting at.

I'll depart from this convo now as I'm not sure this back and forth is beneficial. HF GL

Excuse me, is your name google? I dont think so right, so stop acting like you know everything.

Back to the thread, I was just saying that Bethesda might be inspired by Beowulf. Actually I'm pretty sure they DID get inspired.

That explains the resemblance and I agree to what Hejpadig is saying. Both are in the same era.

That was what I was getting to, Bethesda got inspired by Beowulf.

Although some people state the movie is bad, remember those are justs opinions ofcourse. I thought Beowulf was a very nice movie.

I am not acting like I know everything at all, my apologies if the manner of my post offended you but it was entirely accurate. I have agreed with the OP in that style of the content is similar which is what I believe he was getting at. Simply because someone knows more than you there is no need to feel belittled and be rude.

Enjoy your time in Skyrim!

• 1 year later...

Sorry OP but Beowulf is not 'a movie' it's an old English Poem, the focus of that appalling film was largely on the dragon. In Poem the dragon is barely mentioned, the main focus being on the monster Grendel, who was likely just one of the hill folk.

The story of Beowulf has no doubt inspired every fantasy game you've ever played in some way, in the poem Beowulf also waits 50 years to fight the dragon and subsequently die from his wounds. I will admit that the two storylines have similarities but Skyrim seems more about helping an entire world, those of us familiar with Beowulf tales will know he was a greedy and selfish man, who thought only of himself and how he would be remembered.

i cant remember anything about him being greedy or selfish, after all he helps denmark (he kills grendel and grendels mother) and sweden (he slays the dragon). how is that selfish and greedy?