Planning a mod for combat

topeira

Hi guys.

In the past couple of months i've been thinking hard on what the combat in Skyrim is likely to need in order to be really good, since from the videos we've seen it's not far from oblivion and will probably suffer form a lot of the same pros and cons. until we get the game it's impossible to be sure on how the combat should change and what is in it and what is not, HOWEVER i took a lot of thought on what the combat SHOULD include.

some of my ideas were already in older Oblivion mods, some are likely to already be in the game and some are taken from other action games where they proved to work.

Thing is, these ideas shouldnt require new assets, new animations or even new buttons to perform new actions.

i am not a modder myself but i have some good experience with games and mechanics so If anyone is considering creating a combat mod for the game, please let me know. we can start discussing what MIGHT be required and what might be a good idea.

the game is not out yet, i know, but getting to know modders that might actually do a combat mod early on can not hurt and can help getting a conversation rolling. I will gladly share my ideas and thought with any modder who wants to discuss this subject.

anyone here to pick up the glove? PM me or reply here.

cheers.

Edited by topeira

Isn't it a little early to start thinking about something like this? I mean, we haven't really seen how the combat plays entirely, only bits and pieces. I guess I don't understand why you would want to change something you haven't even experienced for yourself yet.

You're also talking about game-changing mechanics, not something relatively simple like new assets. It's a little more complicated than your initial thoughts, and will require changes to the code among other things. Aside from that, what else you can you really do in a game like this that isn't already being done in the game?

Edited by Madae

Isn't it a little early to start thinking about something like this? I mean, we haven't really seen how the combat plays entirely, only bits and pieces. I guess I don't understand why you would want to change something you haven't even experienced for yourself yet.

You're also talking about game-changing mechanics, not something relatively simple like new assets. It's a little more complicated than your initial thoughts, and will require changes to the code among other things. Aside from that, what else you can you really do in a game like this that isn't already being done in the game?

i know it is about coding, but it's more like having certain events that are already a part of the code happen if u time your actions differently or gold a button instead of tap it or visa versa.

for example, in older oblivion mods there was a mod that made it so blocking just at the right time cause the enemies to stagger, or mods that made it so timing your block would prevent more of the damage. or mods that slowed your movement backwards. these are SOME of the things that can be added.

are these complicated coding mods?

i'd really like to know if these kind of changes are considered hard to pull off.

the reason im thinking about this already is because im positive the combat system isnt going to be deep. it's going to be, probably, 80% like oblivion. minor tweaks at best. having a conversation with a modder that is also passionate about turning the combat into something more rewarding and deep can help when the game DOES come out and u taste the combat and look for stuff to see how they work and what is missing. just me doing it isnt going to convince a modder that my ideas are good.

also bouncing ideas with a modder can show what is likely to be possible and what is probably too hard.

naturally we will know more in 10 days, but you can see many modders already sharing their ideas and plans for skyrim mods. i thought i'd share mine once a modder actually say he's planing on doing combat mods.

Edited by topeira

I think it should be made a mod where blocking would be crucial like in dark souls and also a dodge mod would be good but that is harder to make.

Also its stupid not to be able to block if you dual wield,i mean you must be a expert in sword fighting to use two swords properly and it just looks stupid how you hold two swords in first person,its like you hold two torches so a mod should be made that if you dual-wield it should switch automaticaly to 3rd person cause i guess the animations are better and a mod where you can block like in the witcher 2

are these complicated coding mods?

i'd really like to know if these kind of changes are considered hard to pull off.

It depends on what is already in the system, which no one can say yet. Coding is not something you can pick up and do easily enough, unlike adding assets - that is comparatively easy compared to altering the code of the game. There would be more to it, as well, like animating staggering effects on every creature. You might be able to grab a generic animation already included in the game, but who knows if that will "look right" when it's all together.

the reason im thinking about this already is because im positive the combat system isnt going to be deep. it's going to be, probably, 80% like oblivion. minor tweaks at best.

Definitely possible, but I've already seen a lot of different things in the videos - like "deathblow" animations, and the "dual-wield" magic thingy.

having a conversation with a modder that is also passionate about turning the combat into something more rewarding and deep can help when the game DOES come out and u taste the combat and look for stuff to see how they work and what is missing. just me doing it isnt going to convince a modder that my ideas are good. also bouncing ideas with a modder can show what is likely to be possible and what is probably too hard.

Most of these things come around when someone is disappointed and would like to see it changed. In effect, you're basically planning for something that may or may not be in the game already, and that's what's confusing to me. I'm actually kinda curious as to whether or not you'll be disappointed if the game is everything you wanted it to be, because then there wouldn't need to be any combat mods. ;)

naturally we will know more in 10 days, but you can see many modders already sharing their ideas and plans for skyrim mods.

That's a wee-bit different. A lot of the stuff I've seen is adding new quests or plans for clothes/armor/weapons - not really the same thing.

Also its stupid not to be able to block if you dual wield,i mean you must be a expert in sword fighting to use two swords properly and it just looks stupid how you hold two swords in first person,its like you hold two torches so a mod should be made that if you dual-wield it should switch automaticaly to 3rd person cause i guess the animations are better and a mod where you can block like in the witcher 2

I imagine the reason they show both swords in first person is the same reason why most games choose to not show your feet when you look down. People like to see what they're doing, and many times the outside look of the character is much different than what you see in first person.

You could also block with one weapon and no shield in Oblivion, so I don't see why they wouldn't let you do it in Skyrim with two.

Edited by Madae