CTD (crash to desktop) every few minutes

nahtanoJ

Dont quicksave, ive had issues with quicksaving in the past. Make sure to turn off all ingame save features, save on wait, save on sleep, etc. Now that the only way is to save manually and its a hassle; get CASM. Its a auto saving mod which saves for you every _ minutes with _ number of increments.

Now on topic; i believe your issue has to do with your load order and the number of mods your running. If you havent created a mergepatch with FNVedit try it. Then run masterupdate, just these two simple steps gets rid of many mod conflicts and gives a better crash free game. Just a note; creating a mergepatch doesnt get rid of every single conflict so i recommend you learn how to do it manually. You can get rid of every conflict if you do it manually; it isnt hard to learn and FNVedit is very user friendly once you know how things work.

Try getting rid of some mods that are unnecessary. If you cant at all; and you need every single one mentioned above, i suggest you learn how to merge .esps to lessen up your load order. Again you can do this in FNVedit as well.

Try the FakeFullScreen mod. For some odd reason, FNV seems to run much better when its in window mode. All fakefullscreen mod does is basically let you run in fullscreen when your actually running in window mode. So, its a win win situation for both you and the game.

For load order i suggest you try BOSS, it comes with fallout mod manager, but to make sure you should get he mod itself from the nexus. Use BOSS, then rearrange the mods that it doesnt recognize yourself. Make sure to read up on the readme load order portion of the mods you downloaded for more information, but BOSS does a pretty good job keeping the load order nice.

Try not to reload saves a lot nor tab out too much. Tabbing should be okay if your running the fakefullscreen mod but from personal experience i tend to get CTD's when i reload saves or tab out frequently. When you die and reload a save its perfectly fine, what i mean is manual reloading.

Always make sure you have the latest NVSE, nvse gets updated quite frequently and sometimes people tend to update their mods but they forget to update NVSE; in which the mods requiring the latest NVSE screws with the game.

And yes do get the 4GB loader, its a life saver.

Dont forget to grab the New Vegas Configurator mod; its a nice handy utility that lets you modify ini values you normally cant through the launcher setting menu or from FOMM. It comes with a nice performance portion in which lets you edit them directly from this mod.

Take a look at this for a more in depth ini tweak http://segmentnext.com/2010/11/02/fallout-new-vegas-tweak-guide/

Dont forget to look at the tweak guides from TweakGuides.com, they have some handy information you can always use.

Thats all i can think of from the top of my head mate. Will update this if i think of anymore, but i think thats a lot of viable information that'll keep you busy for a couple of days. Goodluck and have fun :)

Dont quicksave, ive had issues with quicksaving in the past. Make sure to turn off all ingame save features, save on wait, save on sleep, etc. Now that the only way is to save manually and its a hassle; get CASM. Its a auto saving mod which saves for you every _ minutes with _ number of increments.

I've already stopped doing that. I've come to the conclusion that the quicksave function is faulty like sh*t!

Now on topic; i believe your issue has to do with your load order and the number of mods your running. If you havent created a mergepatch with FNVedit try it. Then run masterupdate, just these two simple steps gets rid of many mod conflicts and gives a better crash free game. Just a note; creating a mergepatch doesnt get rid of every single conflict so i recommend you learn how to do it manually. You can get rid of every conflict if you do it manually; it isnt hard to learn and FNVedit is very user friendly once you know how things work.

I've already used BOSS. If the load order is bad then you know what to blame:) Not me! :P

Try getting rid of some mods that are unnecessary. If you cant at all; and you need every single one mentioned above, i suggest you learn how to merge .esps to lessen up your load order. Again you can do this in FNVedit as well.

Then FNVedit it is!

Try the FakeFullScreen mod. For some odd reason, FNV seems to run much better when its in window mode. All fakefullscreen mod does is basically let you run in fullscreen when your actually running in window mode. So, its a win win situation for both you and the game.

I know for a fact that some games don't work well with VSync and windowed mode. When in windowed mode on ex. Sims 3 I get thousands of FPS. I don't want to put unnecessary stress on my GPU.

Try not to reload saves a lot nor tab out too much. Tabbing should be okay if your running the fakefullscreen mod but from personal experience i tend to get CTD's when i reload saves or tab out frequently. When you die and reload a save its perfectly fine, what i mean is manual reloading.

I've changed the damage to 100% in GECK, which in turn leads me to dying and reloading the game very often. Unfortunately the mod is essential to me because I'm kind of a milsim nerd.

Always make sure you have the latest NVSE, nvse gets updated quite frequently and sometimes people tend to update their mods but they forget to update NVSE; in which the mods requiring the latest NVSE screws with the game.

I'm quite the opposite actually:) I tend to update NVSE more often than any other mod I happen to have installed for the moment.

And yes do get the 4GB loader, its a life saver.

Already have it:)

Dont forget to grab the New Vegas Configurator mod; its a nice handy utility that lets you modify ini values you normally cant through the launcher setting menu or from FOMM. It comes with a nice performance portion in which lets you edit them directly from this mod.

Already have that too:P Hehe!

Take a look at this for a more in depth ini tweak http://segmentnext.com/2010/11/02/fallout-new-vegas-tweak-guide/

Thanks, I'll do that.

Dont forget to look at the tweak guides from TweakGuides.com, they have some handy information you can always use.

Well, performance isn't really an issue here. My GPU is pretty close to a GTX 570, which I bet is more than enough for a game with such outdated graphics.

Thats all i can think of from the top of my head mate. Will update this if i think of anymore, but i think thats a lot of viable information that'll keep you busy for a couple of days. Goodluck and have fun :)

Yeah, thanks for the lengthy post. I appreciate it a lot, but it really turns me off that I'll have to go through all of that trouble just to play my favorite game. Luckily I have a lot of time on my hands so I'll be sure to follow your tips within a couple of days time. Thanks again!

edit

I just remembered that we're very close to the release of Skyrim. I guess I'll do the above in a couple of months instead. :P

edit

Sorry if I've missed something, I'm really tired.

Edited by nahtanoJ

• 3 weeks later...