Decided to finally get Morrowind.

Deleted1662706User

The absolutely best point? The Main Quest. :D Seriously. It's awesome.

Best factions? Depends on how you play. If you like fighting and looting and dungeon delving, Fighters' Guild is perfect. It's much more dangerous (and lucrative) work than in Oblivion.

Do you like to think, solve puzzles, and complete quests in unusual ways? Tribunal Temple is for you.

Conceivably, you could join every single faction (but only one of the three Great Houses) with no ill effects. There's no infamy in Morrowind...so you could be an assassin for the Morag Tong at the same time that you're an acolyte in the Imperial Cult and no one will care.

There is a TON of stuff to keep you interested. Trust me. ;) I dare you to find the Talking Mudcrab Merchant. I'm not kidding - there really is one. And he's drunk. :P Plus, he has the most barter gold of any merchant in the game. I told you to trust me. :D

There is no compass, no quest markers, no horses. This game does not hold your little hand for you. You can seriously get lost in the wilderness. On top of that, you can get in over your head very easily...the leveling system of Oblivion is out the window. There will be times when you have to walk away and come back later. But to me, that's fun. :)

Hope this helps.

I suggest checking out Morrowind for Oblivion players. That should help considerably.

There's definitely more of a roleplaying feel about Morrowind, because lore is an essential aspect of the game, and not something that feels tacked on, as it does in Oblivion. And since quests don't hold your hand, you have to actually work to find an do things. It helps, too, that dungeons don't auto-refill with monsters, and that most (but not all) caves, dungeons, etc, have unique, non-scaled encounters. Just my opinion, mind you.

The depth and strength of the MW lore is a major advantage for roleplay. The main quest is kinda ambiguous too which means you can put your own spin on it (pawn, plant, hoax, or the real deal?)

Factions have more depth to them than in Oblivion, and there are more of them too. They're all characterful and joining them tends to make more of a difference to your character than Oblivion factions - you'll definately notice strong Disposition changes, often negative ones from those of rival factions. As I said there are lots of factions, which means lots of faction sidequests to keep a player interested.

Look into the LGNPC series of mods for even more RP depth and if you want a side-order of extra hack-and-slash, Morrowind Comes Alive with the More Enemies add-on provides lots of random respawning hostile NPCs.

Look into the LGNPC series of mods for even more RP depth and if you want a side-order of extra hack-and-slash,

An excellent suggestion. Be sure to check the LGNPC webpage for the latest updates.

Morrowind Comes Alive with the More Enemies add-on provides lots of random respawning hostile NPCs.

I'd throw out a caution on this. I had characters fresh out of the character manager killed by MCA thieves and such, as soon as they emerged--not once, but repeatedly. These were roughly level 10, as well--as were the ones who popped up in Pelgiad, who were killed after first taking my PC out. If you do get this mod, consider one of the patches that takes out enemies and run with it for the first few levels, and be sure your character has an excellent weapon and good skill.

One thing that Morrowind had that Oblivion and Skyrim didn't is the political factions. Unlike Skyrim with their rebellion, Morrowind gives you the option to join one of three main houses(Hlallu, Telvanni and Redoran I believe) each has their own beliefs, architecture, and even guard uniform, and also ally themselves with other factions and methods. So depending on your play-style, you can join one of those three houses, which makes for an interesting role play.

• 2 weeks later...

Morrowind certainly has a more 'role play' feel to it. Update the graphics with some mods, and I doubt you'll find anything lacking from Oblivion. Plus, Morrowind's cities are almost entirely open, and there are some really crazy custom spells and strategies.

Remember the good old days from 2000-2005 when games were just starting to look modern, but the developers had no idea how to restrict the player, so you end up with amazing glitches, unorthodox strategies, and hours upon hours of experimentation? That's Morrowind. But huge. And there are so many options (way more than in Oblivion) that your head may explode.

Sure, if you need to steal a magical stave you could just grab it and run...

or you could grab it, use a scroll, and jump a thousand feet into the air like a demonic frog...

or you could levitate the stave and get it that way...

or you could aggro the group of giant flying jellyfish that's hovering over the village and use that as a distraction during your escape...

the list goes on.

Edited by Rennn