Perk Theorycrafting!

DrKvothe

Smithing is a circular tree, so no you don't. Work around light stuff up to dragon, then down to daedric. And why not take them all? Good money in it. :thumbsup:

That would change a few things. Are you sure that is the case?

I am pretty sure, not absolutely certain, but everything I have read about it on the net indicates it is.

http://i.imgur.com/ZZhwL.jpg

^^Smithing tree

Although to work your way down to daedric starting from the light armor side would require getting to 100 skill in smithing to get dragon, even though daedric only requires 90. Getting glass only requires of skill of 70, meaning you would have access to it earlier than even ebony.

If you don't completely ignore the main quest, I'm pretty sure you'll have access to the mats for dragonbone weapons pretty early in the game. Frankly, I can handle using crafted glass weapons or other things I find rather than crafted daedric until I get access to crafted dragonbone.

Just a reminder, it seems that the heavy side of the tree has one more perk than the light. So getting glass requires 4 perk points, getting dragon from the heavy side requires 6, and getting glass, dragon, and daedric from the light side requires 6.

Another point to make, one that's eluded to in my first post, is that spending perks on light or heavy armor trees seems like a waste early on. I'd rather improve my dps through the 1h or 2h trees, my dps and surivability through enchant tree, my dps and survivability through smithing tree, etc. etc. etc. The armor tree feels like the last main thing I'll work on. Not because it's not useful, just because I can think of about 20 points I'd rather spend first. That said, without the weight reducing perks, heavy armor is completely impractical if you want to pick up phat l00ts. I will probably wear a hodge-podge of light and heavy gear to level up both skills, and when smithing is sufficiently high to make glass, I'll wear that simply because daedric is too heavy. Whether I end up using heavy or light dragonbone armor depends on how they look and the stats.

With all the perk information out, I think it's easy to forget that the skills are all excellent in their own right without the perks (other than smithing?). I mean, I'll be using a bow long before I decide to actually put any perks into the archery tree.

I have been whittling down my list. There are a few perks I can drop if the circular trees work that way. I have also taken some out of Armsman and overdraw. That leaves me with 73. Depending how hard lock picking is, and if the skeleton key is in the game, I might be able to drop the lock picking perks, that would leave me with 68, which is still a long way from 49.

Armor will be the last thing I put points into as well.

One Handed

Armsman 1

Bladesman 3

Fighting stance

Savage strike

Paralyzing strike

Light Armor

Agile defender 5

Custom fit

Unhindered

Wind walker

Deft movement

Matching set

Sneak

Stealth 5

Muffled movement

Backstab

Deadly aim

Assassin's blade

Shadow warrior

Silence

Alchemy

Alchemist 5

Physician

Poisoner

Concentrated poison

Benefactor

Experimenter 3

Green thumb

Snakeblood

Purity

Pickpocket

Light fingers

Night thief

Poisoned

Extra pockets

Lockpicking

Novice locks

Apprentice locks

Adept locks

Locksmith

Unbreakable

Archery

Overdraw 1

Critical shot 3

Eagle eye

Smithing

Steel smithing

Arcane blacksmith

Elven smithing

Advanced armors

Glass smithing

Dragon armor

Daderic smithing

Enchanting

Enchanter 5

Soul squeezer

Soul siphon

Fire enchanter

Insightful enchanter

Corpus enchanter

Extra effect

I have decided to drop enchanting, archery, paralyzing strike and extra pockets.

That gets it down to 50

One Handed

Armsman 1

Bladesman 3

Fighting stance

Savage strike

Light Armor

Agile defender 5

Custom fit

Unhindered

Wind walker

Deft movement

Matching set

Sneak

Stealth 5

Muffled movement

Backstab

Deadly aim

Assassin's blade

Shadow warrior

Silence

Alchemy

Alchemist 5

Physician

Poisoner

Concentrated poison

Benefactor

Experimenter 3

Green thumb

Snakeblood

Purity

Pickpocket

Light fingers

Night thief

Poisoned

Smithing

Steel smithing

Arcane blacksmith

Elven smithing

Advanced armors

Glass smithing

Dragon armor

Daderic smithing

Not sure on the race I will play yet, but I will probably lean towards Nord, Redguard, or Imperial.

The builds I'm looking at are these;

Restoration 6

-Avoid Death

-Recovery 2/2

-Regeneration

-Respite

Block 13

-Everything

Alteration 10

-Stability

-Adept Alteration

-Mage Armor 3/3

-Magic Resistance 3/3

Destruction 12

-Two elements maxed (Shock and Fire probably)

-Master Destruction

-Rune Master

One-handed 9

-Paralyzing Strike

-Armsman 5/5

Idea is to open fights up with Destruction, and swap to a defensive style of play with Mage Armor and Block when enemies get close. Once I run out of mana I have enough in One-Handed to still maintain offense while Magicka regenerates. I'm not a fan of the lack of "life" skills, and I would really like to have enchanting and smithing.

Restoration 6

-Avoid Death

-Recovery 2/2

-Regeneration

-Respite

One-handed 12

-Paralyzing Strike

-Armsman 5/5

-Bladesman

Sneak 10

-5/5 Stealth

-Backstab

-Muffled Movement to Shadow Warrior

Alteration 10

-Stability

-Adept Alteration

-Mage Armor 3/3

-Magic Resistance 3/3

Illusion 4

-Novice Illusion to Quiet Casting

Destruction 8

-Master Destruction

-All Shock abilities

Going for a "mage assassin", idea is to use Shadow Warrior, Alteration, and Restoration to bolster defenses. I grabbed Illusion, so I could possibly do a backstab->disintegrate combo without making much noise. Dragons are going to be tough though. Hopefully Magic Resistance/Armor will give me enough defense.

One-Handed 15

-Armsman 5/5

-Bladesman 3/3

-Dual Savagery

-Paralyzing Strike

Light Armor 10

-Everything

Alteration 5

-Magic Resistance 3/3

-Apprentice Alteration

Smithing 6

-Steel to Arcane

-Elven to Dragon

Enchanting 10

-Enchanter 5/5

-Fire to Storm Enchanter

-Extra Effect

-Corpus Enchanter

Restoration 4

-Avoid Death

Don't know how I'll cope without any ranged abilities(get a dragon down), but I should hit like a truck with uber enchants, smithing, and dual weapons for whatever does get in melee range.

Edited by Kenrik