Skyrim Armor Dyes

droscoe2

Hey guys,

I'm posting this to half 'announce' and half 'monitor demand'.

I've always been upset that there are not armor dyes in Morrowind and Oblivion. I've been editing some Oblivion armor textures just to get a feel as to how long it takes per texture, per armor set, etc etc. And it take a long...long time. Not too long though. :)

Anyway, I'd really like to see armor dyes or some type of dye system in Skyrim. However, I don't want to just hope someone will do it. So I'll do it myself. The process itself is quite easy, but the amount of time it takes can be staggering.

I'll start working on this ASAP for Skyrim when I feel, IF I feel, like there is enough demand for the project.

EDIT:

As noted in post below, it is also my opinion that the colors I'll choose will be less saturated, earthy, more realistic colors. Don't expect bright neon green and ultra pink. I'll use following colors and neutrals

Red

Blue

Green

Yellow

Brown

Black

Grey

White

My initial concept is to have bottles of dye throughout the world in chests, but I would also create a shop/NPC, or 'Artisan' that does the craft itself. In 2 hours he could dye a piece of armor. <??

I'd also like to consider some armor plating for armors that are predominately made of metal. Like steel armor in oblivion. I'd like to also include Gold Plating, Silver Plating, Copper Plating, Ebony Plating, and Ivory Plating. MAYBE just use Gold, Silver, and Copper.

Any mod that adds armor to Skyrim will be untouched, I am presuming. I'll work on the default list of armors included in Skyrim.

Below is a picture of Fur and Leather armor. The top level is default colors,and the second level of armors is my preferred color scheme. (less saturated, more realistic) And just a couple others to the side for example.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9710/armorcolorlist.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Would this work? For the community?

Take care,

droscoe2

thats a great idea, im always trying to make my character like Elric at the end of time. He is an Albino, and well im a huge fan of having everthing Black so to be able to die everything would be great, after all isnt that why we all play it? fantazising about are bad ass character.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree. I don't like the dye bottles, just messin around on that one.

Update*

I just finished the Male Chainmail in exactly 1 hour. Double that for female~+/- a few minutes. then multiply that by 16 (number of basic armor sets in Skyrim) Looks like around 32 hours worth of work.

Have you considered writing a shader to handle the color changes? Each outfit could have a single texture to mask of different areas, like main/trim/collar, or something similar. Simple code could handle the color changes, which gives you a much wider range of selectable colors and combinations with a huge savings on disk space.

Throttlekitty* - I would absolutely LOVE some kind of script like that. Do you think thats possible?

I ask, because my scripting experience and skills are null. I've never written one.

Bigger question, who out there knows how to do that? lol

I'll keep that in mind, and try to seek out someone. Great advice/suggestion

Learning to code and write shaders is still on my to-do list. I've tried a few times... But I'd say it's certainly doable.

I forget the names offhand, but there's a group already working on a Skyrim Graphics Extender. It's on the official forums but I can't seem to find the thread... But they'd be good people to ask, shader work is more their bag.