Steam preload is available

tylitalo

Downloaded. At 1.0Gb/s, sorry. BT got their fibre optic act together just at the right time.

I find it hard to believe you were getting a 1gb/s downstream from the Steam servers even if your bandwidth is that large.

Well, I did, so please don't call me a liar. I frequently get download speeds like that since my broadband got upgraded, and I have unlimited service, for which I pay rather a lot. Despite being out of work at the moment it is worth my while to pay for a good service as I don't want it crapping out on me when I am doing internet jobsearches and uploading my resume everywhere. Note I said frequently, not always. It CAN go slower than that. I was just pleased how fast I got the files down. Last game I bought on Steam also came down a lot faster than the estimate they gave me. So can the personal attacks please.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be confusing the internet speed. It's impossible to download at 1gigabyte per second.. I mean by Steam measurement it is 1000 mega byte per second. That's like 200 MP3 songs per second!!

Even if you mean 1000 megabit per second that means 125 megabyte per second by Steam measurements and that's still 25 MP3 songs per second. That's just impossible; I don't care if you have 10 optic connections. Upload speed is not that high on Steam

Edited by babis8142

Well, I did, so please don't call me a liar. I frequently get download speeds like that since my broadband got upgraded, and I have unlimited service, for which I pay rather a lot. Despite being out of work at the moment it is worth my while to pay for a good service as I don't want it crapping out on me when I am doing internet jobsearches and uploading my resume everywhere. Note I said frequently, not always. It CAN go slower than that. I was just pleased how fast I got the files down. Last game I bought on Steam also came down a lot faster than the estimate they gave me. So can the personal attacks please.

Personal attacks? You must have a hard time getting through a day in society if you get offended that easily, calm down. The Steam servers have a cap on the downstream rate, so even if you have a 1000mb/s fibre optic connection, you're not going to be pulling that kind of speed from the servers. It's just facts. Furthermore, it's not a race. You can't play it untill the 11th anyway, so it dosen't really matter how fast it pre-loads.

Downloaded. At 1.0Gb/s, sorry. BT got their fibre optic act together just at the right time.

I find it hard to believe you were getting a 1gb/s downstream from the Steam servers even if your bandwidth is that large.

BT Infinity, which is their fibre optic service, has download speeds of up to 40MB/s.

I was looking at the wrong thing actually, it's as babis8142 says, and DyingAtheist, sorry about that, but it did come down considerably faster than some people seem to be getting. I know a lot of people particularly in remote areas who get snails pace downloads/uploads.

There's still no need to get abusive. It started off as just a quip about download speeds, as (see above) I actually do know that the internet connection issue is a big source of contention for a lot of people (hence my initial sorry) I got the figures wrong, but there is no need for people like FoolyFooly to make jeering remarks like they did. No need for anyone to get so over excited about it.

I'm more wondering about, is it going to really unlock at 12 midnight local time for all? As the Steam counter has been a bit off of late. I know that's what Beth are saying, hopefully they have talked some sense into Steam.

I was looking at the wrong thing actually, it's as babis8142 says, and DyingAtheist, sorry about that, but it did come down considerably faster than some people seem to be getting. I know a lot of people particularly in remote areas who get snails pace downloads/uploads.

There's still no need to get abusive. It started off as just a quip about download speeds, as (see above) I actually do know that the internet connection issue is a big source of contention for a lot of people (hence my initial sorry) I got the figures wrong, but there is no need for people like FoolyFooly to make jeering remarks like they did. No need for anyone to get so over excited about it.

I'm more wondering about, is it going to really unlock at 12 midnight local time for all? As the Steam counter has been a bit off of late. I know that's what Beth are saying, hopefully they have talked some sense into Steam.

I'd hope it will unlock in time. Steam don't have a great history when it comes to this sort of thing, but I think most people's countdown timers are showing the correct times now.

I got the figures wrong, but there is no need for people like FoolyFooly to make jeering remarks like they did. No need for anyone to get so over excited about it.

Just so we're clear, I made a single sentence reply stating that your figures had to be wrong (and they were), you wrote a paragraph getting bent out of shape over it. But that translates into me getting 'over excited'.

Edited by FoolyFooly

I'd hope it will unlock in time. Steam don't have a great history when it comes to this sort of thing, but I think most people's countdown timers are showing the correct times now.

Mine still says 11pm tomorrow night, so Im kinda excited to see how that works out :)