Thoughts on Fallout 4's DLC ending in August?

Deleted4363562User

I don't know how to feel about Vaults. It was already a little logic bending that we could create large cement structures in the Wasteland, but the technology and infrastructure to make Vaults just should not exist outside industrious organizations like the BOS and the Institute and even then they should take a while to make. Although, the idea of building underground storage to complement my settlements does sound pretty cool.

To be fair, the Romans did some pretty cool things with concrete. I mean, they didn't have radiation and deathclaws to deal with. But they did have a lot of lead in their drinking water, so that's kind of similar, right?

Though to seriously discuss your point, I think you've made me realize another serious problem I have with a lot of what's getting released. A lot of it is just thematically inappropriate and I think it's another reason I haven't cared for it. Wasteland Workshop seemed like a gimmick to me, as does Contraptions Workshop. Vault-Tec is thematically inappropriate but at least it makes up for it with having some potential to be genuinely interesting. They don't really feel either feasible or like they would have a genuine role if you were trying to actually build a settlement in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I mean, it would've been boring, yeah, but I would have more happily paid money for a pile of new settlement building objects if they took the time and energy to make them good quality.

I think you have to approach the Vault build set differently from building "just" a settlement. You build it to your liking and then have to look at it as if it was build pre-war and you only discovered it. Or you were more then just a soldier/lawyer you were Tony Stark lol and build that vault pre war. On the other hand, with automatron it's not that hard to imagine you use robots to build it all for you. They can work 24/7 and you can have other robots maintain the worker robots.

Back on topic, not disappointed because i grabbed the season pass just before the price raise. If i did not and bought it later i would be disappointed. Bethesda should have had a good look at how CDprojekt handles DLC and what it is they release they have people paying for. Now those 16 free dlc's are nothing, they could have easily been in the base game and nobody would have noticed, but you get them for free and since you do not know what you are getting for free you keep playing and looking forward to it. And even though it's all small content you like those guys for giving you free stuff of good quality, imagine what the paid DLC must look like, so you buy a pass. And it's worth every penny. On a sidenote, offcourse they had high quality source material from the books for the Witcher, but just imagine CDprojekt had made Fallout 4 :-)

Anyway as with everything Bethesda we will just have to wait what model they will be going for. I read they have 2 other projects not related to ES or FO, we can only hope they make more story DLC for FO 4 even if it requires a new season pass, and perhaps even for remastered Skyrim just to keep the games "alive" until the next episode in ES or FO.

The general consensus seems to be if you got the season pass at the reduced cost the DLC's provided are fair for the price.

The settlement packs would make more sense if they used existing content better. The foundry for making steel. Quarries for stone and concrete. The lumber mill for lumber. Taking and holding existing resources and the logistics of moving the refined materials about. You could have various factions trying to horn in on your action or threaten to take your resources if you don't side with them. All the elements are there its just not very well organized. The big DLC's could include resources bases not included in the main game. Like glassworks from nuka cola.. My guess is we will get a glass tileset with nuka cola but it wont be as immersive as what I suggest

I'm fine with it as long as they keep patching out problems from the game like bugs or if they add in new free content like they did with survival mode. But bug fixes are necessary imo.

As for the vault and settlement building stuff, yes it's silly you can craft things instantly but if you were timed that would be INSANELY boring and I'm happy with it not doing what Hearthfire did since I can build however I want. I know the vault thing is silly but c'mon, Fallout is filled with silly stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to it was nanobots building everything or something lol

I'm fine with it as long as they keep patching out problems from the game like bugs or if they add in new free content like they did with survival mode. But bug fixes are necessary imo.

As for the vault and settlement building stuff, yes it's silly you can craft things instantly but if you were timed that would be INSANELY boring and I'm happy with it not doing what Hearthfire did since I can build however I want. I know the vault thing is silly but c'mon, Fallout is filled with silly stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to it was nanobots building everything or something lol

The whole settlement system is silly, but it's fun for a lot of people. It is weird how much focus they put on that aspect of the game, I love crafting systems and having a few places you could build up and populate sounded really cool, but I didn't realize that was going to be like half the game. I agree with you though, adding realism to the settlement system would drive me crazy.

As for the bug fixes, I figure we'll get a few more patches, they will fix some stuff and as the purchases start to slow down they will taper off leaving the community to fix the rest. From what I have seen, they haven't really fixed a lot, but the community patch as done most of their work. But who knows, maybe someday you'll get crazy larry to your settlement without the console.

Seems no-one has noticed by the whole 'size=price' thing that Nuka World is smaller than Far HArbor based on the steam price. Honestly for me that is the most upsetting. While I expected for there to be more dlc, the fact that they didn't end on a bigger dlc than Far Harbor is what upsets me the most-given how long it will be until more Fallout (Even if they announced a NV style game at next year's E3).

The whole settlement system is silly, but it's fun for a lot of people. It is weird how much focus they put on that aspect of the game, I love crafting systems and having a few places you could build up and populate sounded really cool, but I didn't realize that was going to be like half the game. I agree with you though, adding realism to the settlement system would drive me crazy.

As for the bug fixes, I figure we'll get a few more patches, they will fix some stuff and as the purchases start to slow down they will taper off leaving the community to fix the rest. From what I have seen, they haven't really fixed a lot, but the community patch as done most of their work. But who knows, maybe someday you'll get crazy larry to your settlement without the console.

I felt they did a nice focus between Settlement building and expansion content for FO4.