PSA: You can disable automatic updates in Steam and avoid F4SE breaking.

NorthWolf

This takes some effort (you have to remember to do it every time), but whenever you boot your computer, open steam IMMEDIATELY and pause the update. I've been doing this every day since the patch was released and can still play the previous FO4 version with FO4SE.

Depending on your connection speed this isn't necessarily viable is the problem. Still, that works provided you're willing to remember every time and you actually have enough time to stop the download.

I would still back up your executable at least.

Edited by NorthWolf

Just popped in to say.....

this has been working like a charm for me! Well, since i figured out how to stop steam keep changing the setting back (deleting the Steam user data folder works if anyone else has problems with that). The last 2 updates i've been able to do at my leisure with zero agro.

Can't thank you enough Northwolf cause that update sh*t was seriously interfering with my 'Calm'! :happy:

• 2 years later...

Don't know how recent this change is, or if this has been covered yet in this thread, but here goes:

We've seen variations on "Just run f4se_loader.exe" and "set Fallout4.exe to update only when I run it"

Both seem spot on. But as of today, 9-1-2018, every time I run f4se_loader, my steam client shows Fallout 4 as "Running", and then does an online sync afterwards.

Don't know what they changed, but running Steam in offline mode whenever you play Fallout 4 may now be the only way to prevent an update.