WAR/BATTLE/INVASION

fozzie69

for all u great modders out there i have an idea that would make my oblivion experience so much better ok heres my idea

the elder council sits in the council chamber fearing for the fate of tamriel... an army of thousands of orcs marches from hammerfall planning to take over cyrodill the province is in a state of emergency with every cabable person suited up and trained for a epic battle but who will lead the battle ... you. battle starts with you on horse in front of hundreds of people issuing commands then you turn around to face a charging orc and the battle begins...objective kill all the orcs but a counter attack the argonians are in on it as well and they march from black mash you must leave the orc battle alone and fight an army of 100 argonians by yourself

just an idea of course alot of people makes it go slow but it dosent have to be thousands lol thats just to make it more dramatic but alot of people not just a lil troop so all u experienced modder please give it a shot cudnt be that hard but please message me if anyone has done or is doing this

100 NPCs? That's WAAAY too much. Besides, if I attempted to make the mod for you anyway, the game will take higher risk of lagging or crashing. If you want like NPCs in 3 vs. 3, that could be possible. I'd rather suggest that 2 groups would suit it best. But to make Tamriel a huge war zone, you must be optimistic or completely mad.

Anyway, that said. Your computer can never handle that much NPCs. Even if you say it's a super-fast computer, but I doubt it. That's too much. You can't obviously handle that much, otherwise if you put separate NPCs in certain places, that wouldn't be much of a problem other than starting a frontline assault against a hundred orcs or Argonians. My point said.

I once saw a video for a mod of a battlefield (don't think it was ever released), where the NPCs were loaded/unloaded as you moved from cell to cell, so there would never be more than 10 NPCs in a cell at a time, and as you left that cell they would be removed (presumably to a holding cell of some kind), and new NPCs would be loaded into the new cell. The player was also using a fairly unrealistic halberd, which was basically just a long axe.

However, I agree, this just wouldn't be possible to implement in anything like the way you want, so even if the mod in the video works, your idea wouldn't.

The limit on NPCs in a scene is one of those aspects to the engine that can't really be done away with. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but when you have more than 3-4 NPCs doing anything at once, their AI gets significantly dumber for every additional NPC in the scene. This is an issue of processing, the combat AI for all those NPCs just tends to lag behind what is happening at that moment. More NPCs mean having to process even more every frame. Making the scene complex can lessen this to some extent since it makes it so that NPCs no longer do path checking, but they still do alot of the other combat related things, and can still make things slow when you're dealing with 8+ NPCs at a time. Even if you had the fastest commercially available processor you still probably wouldn't be able to handle more than 13-15 NPCs at once. And that's provided that your videocard hasn't crapped out from trying to render them. Even if you could manage more, the reality is that others can't. If a modder is looking at 1 frame a minute they can't really make or test such a mod. Nevermind the headaches associated with getting anything like that working.

That's what I said to the guy who showed me the video :)

Nevertheless, clearly someone has found a way of getting something reasonably close to work, at least to some extent. I don't know exactly how they did it, but I do know it involves generating NPCs as the PC moves from cell to cell, and making sure no more than 10 are around at a time.

That's what I said to the guy who showed me the video :)

Nevertheless, clearly someone has found a way of getting something reasonably close to work, at least to some extent. I don't know exactly how they did it, but I do know it involves generating NPCs as the PC moves from cell to cell, and making sure no more than 10 are around at a time.

Yeah, the problem with that method is probably what isn't seen. Those NPCs are specific to that event, and don't exist outside. They are also no longer doing anything when they aren't loaded. They may not even retain information when they are disabled/removed. You'd accomplish more just by dropping the NPC view distance down in game settings, and without all the scripting. Any "it looks bad" comments could probably be done away with by adding some heavy fog. I may even be tempted to try something like this, now that I think about it, just for poos and giggles. It still wouldn't be this great war mod, but it might allow for the player to be at the center of a constant flow of enemies from all sides.

I once saw a video for a mod of a battlefield (don't think it was ever released), where the NPCs were loaded/unloaded as you moved from cell to cell, so there would never be more than 10 NPCs in a cell at a time, and as you left that cell they would be removed (presumably to a holding cell of some kind), and new NPCs would be loaded into the new cell. The player was also using a fairly unrealistic halberd, which was basically just a long axe.

However, I agree, this just wouldn't be possible to implement in anything like the way you want, so even if the mod in the video works, your idea wouldn't.

Well, yes. Terminator seems to have a point here, and you can probably make a video with hundreds of NPCs fighting each other, but it will not work in game. I made a fight scene in the Imperial Prison under attack by my influenced U.S.F. while it's in my project 'Assault of the U.S.F'. However, I have stationed about 30 troops in there using CS, and it almost caused me a lag, even since I wanted to cripple the Imperial Legion, because I've seen about numbers of Imperial guards coming in from all certain directions, firing their bows at me while my soldiers firing their guns at them, it needed to shrink down. Even if I DID wanted a hundred soldiers to take out the Imperial guards. But imagine a fight scene with 30 vs. 30. That will lag big time. If possible, the results will end up crashing the game, so I shrunk down my limit to 8 soldiers, and it was ok. A few lags, but it was ok. Even with the highest ram, no computer can ever handle that much NPCs. So, you can make the movie, but it won't be the same in the game. It will have a high possibility of lagging. Even if the graphics is very low.

Archived