Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I posted this in another thread but it got largely ignored so maybe ppl havent read it and maybe it will work for others as it was successful for me

im 89% :thumbsup: sure I found my issue with constant ctd'ing with no warning after the solution (or solutions) ive played uninterrupted for hours

1) Nvidia users control panel 3d settings > adjust image settings > let 3d app decide

This is practically the only thing ive done that was made a concrete difference, hope it helps u guys it certainly did me

Also since doing this I havent notice any (purple things) but the occasional low texture bug

feel free to reproduce and repost this info

If it doesnt help you, i'll try and help with cross referencing settings

p.s. im also using the Large Address Aware app but I did experience 1 final ctd before I applied the 3d setting change.

also 1st post hawwo

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, people that are having the CTD, the problem this topic is about is NOT the CTDs, there's another topic for that (and on top of that 4gb patch fixes it), so, sorry if I sound rude, but people please read what the topic is about and stop confusing others. Edited by elopjd

I have the same exact problem.

My specs.:

Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Asus Crosshair Formula IV

Phenom 1055t X6 @3.5

Gigabyte HD6850

Kingston HyperX 8GB

Corsair 650W

Everything was fine for more than a week until today when I installed these mods:

Detailed Faces V2 (upgraded from 1.0)

Skyrim Sunglare

Detailed Bodies

Large Address Aware (I suspect this was the cause, but after reverting the settings and replacing exe with original the problem did not go away)

Glowing Ore Veins 300

At first I was running it on Catalyst 11.09 so I updated the drivers to 11.11 but after ~10min in Skyrim my GPU stopped working again (had to use force shut down as the Reset button does not do anything when this happens).

Now I deleted all the mods I installed today and will try to see if the problem is still present.

CPU temps never don't go over 40C (mostly 30-35C when playing Skyrim) and GPU stays <70C when gaming.

Edited by Pumper

So I did the following 4 things and was able to play the game for over an hour without GPU shut down (only had a couple of 'not responding' issues when loading but the game woke up in both cases after a few seconds):

- changed system sound settings from 16bit/48hz to 16bit/41hz

- disabled GPU OC (was overclocked to 850/1150 in AMD Overdrive from the default 775/1000)

- deleted all of the mods I installed today (look at prev post)

- ran the game in windowed mode.

Next time I will try to overclock my GPU again and see how it goes.

After 6 hours of playing the game, it finally crashed, the 70% CPU failed me.

Of course it did. There is no "fix" guys.

Wait for the patch or ask for your money back.

Fortunately, I tried to lower my CPU further to 60% plus lowered my graphics with the draw distance set to high and it worked, been playing for some time now.

How are you lowering your CPU?

im 89% :thumbsup: sure I found my issue with constant ctd'ing with no warning after the solution (or solutions) ive played uninterrupted for hours

This is about Skyrim causing a hard system restart, not a Crash To Desktop. You are in the wrong thread.

Played 10 hours, mostly of it discovering new locations and didn't get black screen crash yet. Also I might add that I had this very same problem with World of Warcraft and Dragon Nest mmorpgs. Anyway, I read some guys post on SC2 forums that updating chipset drivers helped him solve this problem. Never really bothered to update them as I read it was kind of dangerous (?) and s***. Well, I took a risk and so far I didn't crash once. Have a read if and before you decide to do it: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3082251808

[22nd November] Crashed after 4 days of playing. f***.

Edited by Qcio

Just a guess: could it be related to the Frostbite engine ? When a program stops working, we are usually taken back to the desktop since we have left the win98 era. This is why I think of some kind of library which would contain a bug with sufficient power to make the hardware reset (guess: 3D acceleration). I also noticed users complaining about the same crashes with Battlefield 3 or NFS the run (games also using this 3D engine AFAIK).

Again, it's just a guess, and maybe nothing more than a stupid idea.