Maxing Out Graphics

wormywyrm

Make sure you run it with the GPU. I know that sounds stupid but when I first downloaded it I had to go on low because I was using my i7 processor like a GPU. Then I switched to my NIVIDIA GT 550 and I can play with all setting max, with little to no frame rate issues!

This may sound like a novice question but how should I go about doing this?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just loaded up Skyrim onto my computer and I am getting lag spikes every 1-4 seconds, and my settings are almost at minimum.

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 64-bit @ 3.17ghz

4.00 GB RAM

Radeon HD 5700 (1GB)

Part of me wants to blame the game, and I think there might be some issue going on since I obviously meet the recommended specs, but lets face it, my computers over a year old now and it might be time for an upgrade. If I am going to upgrade I am going to do it right: I want to put the settings on max or near max and still get a good FPS. Have any of you done this, and what is your rig (and if you don't mind, how much would it normally cost/how much did you pay for it?)

Here's the rig I built for Skyrim, BF3, etc. Every game I've tested was maxed out with at 1080p with no lag spikes. I also use it for autoCAD with OSX Lion 10.7.2

Motherboard: MSI GD65 G3 - $170

CPU: i5 2500k - $170.00

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600mhz - $84.99

PSU: Seasonic X750 modular - $129.99

HDD: Seagate 7200rpm 1TB - $69.99

OSX HDD: Seagate 7200rpm 1TB - $69.99

SSD: Corsair GT 120GB $160.00

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 - $64.99

Case: Cooler Master HAF X - $169.99

Video Card: Visiontek 6950 2GB unlocked and OC'd to 6970 speeds - $232.74

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MX 5500 - $100.00

Monitor: SAMSUNG S27A350H 27" 2ms LED-back lit - $257.99

Total: $1612.68

I chose the particular hardware based on what I was able to find on sale over the course of a month. If I found a great deal, I jumped on it. All the listed prices are after MIR and Cashback

Make sure you run it with the GPU. I know that sounds stupid but when I first downloaded it I had to go on low because I was using my i7 processor like a GPU. Then I switched to my NIVIDIA GT 550 and I can play with all setting max, with little to no frame rate issues!

Assuming you play other games and haven't done anything to turn it off (personally I didn't know they could be turned "off" aside from removing them), then it should be "on". If you're having low frame rates, post your specs, maybe we can help :D

I just loaded up Skyrim onto my computer and I am getting lag spikes every 1-4 seconds, and my settings are almost at minimum.

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 64-bit @ 3.17ghz

4.00 GB RAM

Radeon HD 5700 (1GB)

Part of me wants to blame the game, and I think there might be some issue going on since I obviously meet the recommended specs, but lets face it, my computers over a year old now and it might be time for an upgrade. If I am going to upgrade I am going to do it right: I want to put the settings on max or near max and still get a good FPS. Have any of you done this, and what is your rig (and if you don't mind, how much would it normally cost/how much did you pay for it?)

That's very very weird.

Infact should be able to run Skyrim on a stable 60 FPS on High(No shadow) settings.

My settings

Intel i7 920

6Gb Ram

Nvidia 260 GTX

I'm running Skyrim on 60 fps (40-50 in strenuous environments)

I lag more on Oblivion(Hgec etc) than Skyrim.

Must be some bug m8, give Bethesda some time to fix it.

Trust me, it's worth the wait :)

Assuming you play other games and haven't done anything to turn it off (personally I didn't know they could be turned "off" aside from removing them), then it should be "on". If you're having low frame rates, post your specs, maybe we can help :D

I'm running on a laptop, Dell (I know, I know):

Win 7 64bit

8GB Ram

Intel Core i7 2620M @ 2.70 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

1920x1080 display

The biggest issue really is the horrific cursor lag and audio delay... I'm able to play Portal on max settings with no issue, Sims 3 on med-high settings.

Win 7 64bit

8GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

1920x1080 display

The biggest issue really is the horrific cursor lag and audio delay... I'm able to play Portal on max settings with no issue, Sims 3 on med-high settings.

Even though it's a laptop, that's not too bad. Perhaps you need new audio drivers? For the cursor, have you disabled the Gamepad setting in game? Also, I think there are a few INI tweaks that are supposed to help with that. I'd suggest browsing around here and on the Steam forums, there might be a solution.

Win 7 64bit

8GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

1920x1080 display

Even though it's a laptop, that's not too bad. Perhaps you need new audio drivers? For the cursor, have you disabled the Gamepad setting in game? Also, I think there are a few INI tweaks that are supposed to help with that. I'd suggest browsing around here and on the Steam forums, there might be a solution.

I disabled the gamepad, and did both the vsync and disabled mouse smoothing and no change... I have it on medium settings and it lags like no tomorrow. My laptop actually has two graphics cards, the NVIDIA one and an Optimus one... maybe that makes a difference? In the Skyrim Options when I go to select my graphics card the only option is "Intel HD Graphics Family"

I'm so frustrated... its a good thing I got it for PS3, but I really want to play it on PC as well :/

I disabled the gamepad, and did both the vsync and disabled mouse smoothing and no change... I have it on medium settings and it lags like no tomorrow. My laptop actually has two graphics cards, the NVIDIA one and an Optimus one... maybe that makes a difference? In the Skyrim Options when I go to select my graphics card the only option is "Intel HD Graphics Family"

I'm so frustrated... its a good thing I got it for PS3, but I really want to play it on PC as well :/

Yeah, the two different cards might be confusing it and if you can only pick the onboard one, that's why you're lagging so badly. Does it run well if you set everything to the lowest? Getting programs to recognize the different cards might be something you have to Google around for and probably isn't specific to Skyrim.

EVGA GeForce 550 ti

4g Ram

Windows 7 32bit.

AMD Phenom II X2 500 Processor 3.1GHz

Ultra Graphics + Some ini tweaks: Smoth no lag,

only problem is my PC likes to over heat if i run it that way for too long.

Need to clean that out and get some new fans :P