Skyrim Music Addons?

F9zRazor

Hello. Is it possible to add music to the game? In Elder Scrolls IV and III, the game data folder had a MUSIC folder in which you put music, and were categorize as EXPLORE, DUNGEON, SPECIAL, ect....and I guess the game played it along. I've put in the music from the III to the IV and it has worked fine. Oddly thou, Skyrim doesn't have the music folder, so I created one. DATA>MUSIC>EXPLORE like the other Scrolls, and added the songs I wanted the game to play, but I haven't heard a single song. Does this just have to do with modding or something, or am I just doing this too early that the game can't do that yet? I absolutely didn't do nothing but added the songs in the previous games, and that's all, so I'm guessing I don't need to check off anything or activate. Edited by F9zRazor

Please - when you do make music mods do not upload copyrighted music. What you do on your own computer is your business, what you upload here is subject to copyright restrictions imposed by people like the RIAA who seem to hold a grudge against music lovers. :rolleyes:

Almost all commercial music is copyrighted. You will just get banned for distributing copyrighted materials - And YES, even if you buy the cd, or find the music on a site where they allow downloading and possibly even claim its OK to copy (They lie a lot) :facepalm: - It's probably still copyrighted and cannot be uploaded here.

If you do find some music that is not copyrighted by one of the big music companies (RIAA members) It is still copyrighted by the author - However some artists do allow free distribution of their works - please include the info on where you got it to make it easier for the Moderators to check. If you don't have some proof, we will just probably ban you as we don't have the time to comb the internet for your source. :wallbash:

Other music that is copyrighted and not allowed - music tracks from other games, including other Bethsoft games. Music from movies, Music from TV shows, Music you recorded live at a performance (unless you have written permission from the artist)

If you don't like this policy - we don't like it either. But in order to keep the ravenous bottom feeding RIAA lawyers from shutting us down we follow the LAW on this. If you want to argue , debate or discuss this rule in any way - please take it up with the RIAA lawyers who have saddled us with these restrictive legal shackles and NOT here as we cannot change the LAW. :verymad:

Link to a good site on copyright law in the US, Ten Common Copyright Myths.

http://www.copylaw.c...copy_myths.html

Bben46, Moderator

I looked in the Sounds.bsa file with FOMM and searched for music and found that all the music files were .xwm files. I haven heard of this extension before (not that I'm particularly educated on the subject) but it seems to me that perhaps if you want to add music to the game you may have to convert the files to .xwm format for the game to read them.

I always replaced a bulk of the ambient music in past Bethesda games, 'cause it's fun, and was super bummed to learn that you can't in Skyrim. As I am computer idiotic and was not able to figure the above out at all, I too will watch this topic with great interest in hopes of a simpler alternative.

Other music that is copyrighted and not allowed - music tracks from other games, including other Bethsoft games.

Bben46, Moderator

Just to be clear, we can't upload a mod that "Adds Oblivion tracks to Skyrim" ? Is that what you mean?

What if we wrote to Bethsoft and they gave permission would that be okay?

Scorpionhunter,

That explains how to record the files, but not how to make them actually work in Skyrim, or where to put them to make them work etc