Do you have to start the main quest for dragons to appear?

SpellAndShield

You must of started the main quest lol the game forces you to accept/start it, you just haven't gone on with it. Way I understand it dragons become more common the further in you are in the main quest line, and there is a certain amount you must do for them to start appearing. Edited by peteed1985

Yes you do. I explored half of the map before i started with the main quest and never seen any dragons, that reminded me of oblivion and oblivion gates. Also, you will find dragons in certain locations marked with the dragon head, i found several of those so i just revisited them again.

Oh yeah and once i had a random encounter with the dragon, he attacked some imperial post where i was, so i guess it can be random too.

dragons start rising in force...

After you finish the Greybeard Quest to get the horn. You will be redirected to a Dragon Burial Ground and one will be awakened, then they start showing up at world locations with Word Walls and randomly.

that's as far as I have gone with the main quest. But it got dragons into the world so I could suck out their souls to power my Voice ;)