Purple Textures, Black Face

Zachcuden

Restart your game, fixes it when I occasionally get it (which is rare).

The problem is related to your GPU not being able to properly render and display the texture required so it instead shows purple (or on a face black). Bethesda would be right in the assumption that it's GPU overload of the GPU memory (which can occur on cards that are not really high end or even on those that are but it's rare on super high end cards). The reason it occurs is because the GPU will store stuff in it's memory, the same way RAM does, but sometimes fails to clean it out after it's not needed resulting in build up to a point that forces the program off and a complete flushing of the GPU memory.

The problem is related to your GPU not being able to properly render and display the texture required so it instead shows purple (or on a face black). Bethesda would be right in the assumption that it's GPU overload of the GPU memory (which can occur on cards that are not really high end or even on those that are but it's rare on super high end cards). The reason it occurs is because the GPU will store stuff in it's memory, the same way RAM does, but sometimes fails to clean it out after it's not needed resulting in build up to a point that forces the program off and a complete flushing of the GPU memory.

Is there a setting to help with this? like something to "remind" it to dump that stuff before crashing or bugging out?

Is there a setting to help with this? like something to "remind" it to dump that stuff before crashing or bugging out?

Not that I'm aware of. As far as I know, usually the Game Engine (In this case Creation Engine) would handle helping it clean out. That's the only assumption I can make (my last post) at this time, it could also be a bug (Memory Leak more accurately) but since it doesn't seem repeatable (not reliably on every type of system setup in any case) it's hard to tell. Hopefully Bethesda will figure it out and patch it, in the meantime you'll just have to deal with it I'm afraid. Sorry :(

I have a Intel Core i7 820QM, 8GB DDR3 ram, and a Geforce 460M 1.5GB card. The purple texture thing happens to me after about an hour of playing. I also frequently get intant CTDs when zoning. Nothing overclocked, latest Nvidia beta drivers. It seems to get worse the farther into the game I go. Really wish Bethesda had spent a few extra months polishing this...

• 5 months later...