.fuz file voices

Aluminumfoil

Skyrim stores its voice files in .fuz format. I've never heard of it - presumably it's proprietary. Do we have any method of editing these? Do we expect to be able to edit them once we have the sdk?

*Bump, I am also curious as I'd love to edit the "Ugh, Agh, rawr, etc" of power swings/shouts!

*Bump, I am also curious as I'd love to edit the "Ugh, Agh, rawr, etc" of power swings/shouts!

Me too! It's really annoying what they did with the music and voice files.

FUZ is a container file for the lip-synch and the xwma audio. I found that you can isolate the xwma audio with some careful trimming in a hex editor to recover the xwm file buried in it. You can then use a tool like xwmaplay to play it or another tool to convert to wav. Not all .fuz files have xwma data, however. Maybe just lip-synch data? Don't know.

To trim a .fuz file to a .xwm:

1. Open in hex editor

2. Find "RIFF" and delete every byte before it so the file begins with "RIFF".

3. Change the file type to .xwm and play or convert.

FUZ is a container file for the lip-synch and the xwma audio. I found that you can isolate the xwma audio with some careful trimming in a hex editor to recover the xwm file buried in it. You can then use a tool like xwmaplay to play it or another tool to convert to wav. Not all .fuz files have xwma data, however. Maybe just lip-synch data? Don't know.

To trim a .fuz file to a .xwm:

1. Open in hex editor

2. Find "RIFF" and delete every byte before it so the file begins with "RIFF".

3. Change the file type to .xwm and play or convert.

Fantastic, thanks :) I'll give that a try sometime when I have the time to spend trying to learn how to do anything useful with that knowledge :P

Okay, well, I've gotten one of them open and played it, so that's a start. I'm hoping that I can just paste the header onto the front of the file after editing it and reencoding it, and the game will run it properly.

Of course, I also have to try to find the voice files I want to edit by trial and error, when checking a single file takes more than a minute... :facepalm:

Okay, well, I've gotten one of them open and played it, so that's a start. I'm hoping that I can just paste the header onto the front of the file after editing it and reencoding it, and the game will run it properly.

Of course, I also have to try to find the voice files I want to edit by trial and error, when checking a single file takes more than a minute... :facepalm:

If you do manage to get this to work, do update! =)

Right, so.

After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I can extract an xwm from a .fuz, generate a .wav from an xwm, edit the .wav, generate an xwm from the edited .wav, and paste the file header from the original .fuz onto the new .xwm and rename the altered file to .fuz.

Does this accomplish anything?

Heck if I know!

More weeping and gnashing of teeth is clearly required to test this.