Mage Scaling

gamefever

Hm that's a bummer there are no spell making options in this game...my guess is they didn't add it in due to this being skyrim and the nords hate magic, so it kinda fits not to have much as you could in the previous games....no massive aoe 1 hitter spells for village raiding then :/

Thanks everyone.

@Goblin Girl

Ya I noticed that the Restoration School has Magic Regen pretty low in the tree, I'm figuring that those perk points I've spent into Enchanting were wasted considering how weak the stuff is that I can make at level 20 with 50 points in enchant. Would have gotten as much regen in restro with one perk point plus some nefty ward spells.

Yes I find I have to rely on minions to soak some hits for me. Lydia and often a flame attronoche seem to work fine. Although occasionally Lydia dies and I reload the game. I suppose that's nothing new in gaming :D

Still I'm having fun some of your ideas on how to use mages helps me focus on how they are played thanks again. Played a Sword and board toon through Oblivion and found that was the easiest class to play. But didn't feel rewarding. Not a big fan of Kiting, and the worse part is we need an attack my target quick button tired of being pushed into a room full of mobs so that my body gaurd can get to them. I guess my mage makes a good sheild for Lydia. Its funny though in mage fights I often have the right resists going and jump in front of her to soak damage with a ward spell up. Most melee stuff one shots me though so I kinda think I should be one shotting them with spells...only fair right.

I don't suppose you tried dual-casting the same spell? A lot of Destruction Spells do some pretty amazing things when you dual-cast 'em.

Oh ya man I dual cast Destro spells all the time, trouble is I miss a lot in shooters I tend to use shotguns or machine guns to hit stuff. I'm finding the Fireball really helps its just that it eats through my mana I get 2 or 3 of those for a full mana bar. I have hmm 20% Destro cost reduce and like 75% mana regen pushing past 280 mana I believe off hand anyway.

I'm not saying it's too hard or unenjoyable, I just think I haven't got it down and I'd certainly like some more pointer's on how to play a mage if people have them. The only toon I've been really good with in these games before is a sword and board toon with tons of health and restro 2nd skill for self heals. I've always liked mages though and even read lots of novels in college about them.

I really wish the flame thrower spell scaled better D:

Edited by gamefever