Realism Overhaul ideas thread

tomislawus

add more animations :)

When you sleep - the character needs to go to bed and lay in it (the animation for that is already in the game)

Animation for picking up items or looting corpses and chests...

When you step too deep into water (so that it reaches about the waist) the character is no longer able to run...

Just a few ideas I had already at the very beginning while playing the game :)

woot I hate new game design techniques. they start with a good foundation then add layers upon layers of hand holding UI garbage and an intense amount of easy playing. meh

I am more on the UI side and have been adding silent sounds as well as removing a lot of hand holding text. What I am looking for now is a complete gut of the map and a total removal of on screen quest updates and maybe even quest descriptions in journal as well as on screen message for location discoveries.

I am having a really difficult time with the map as when I convert it out and then republish its some of the code breaks and it causes a ctd. For me the only map I want is one I can place my own markers on. I do not want my map updated with new locations over and freakin over again unless I find them and mark them.

As for quest text updates on screen I cant seem to find how they are called. So aside from gutting the strings folder of any reference I am at a loss. I also dont know how the locations are called either.

If you want to put this in the overhaul I would be extremely happy. Wish the Ck was out already!!

You know how enchanted items have a usage bar that decreases after each attack? Maybe you could make that into something like a weapon condition type thing.

Also you could make lockpicking in real-time so you can't lockpick containers in the middle of a fight.

Edited by Scklyic

What i want for realism is for Stalker style inventories. Where you have a certain amount of space AND a certain amount of weight where the space is shown graphically.

In addition I want a total revamp of the weapon and armor weights. Seriously, 20 pounds for a claymore? IRL they weigh ~ 4.5 pounds. You CAN'T use a 20 pound sword. SLEDGE HAMMERS don't weight that much.

Technically speaking the Elder Scrolls weight system might not be measured in pounds - but I agree that it needs rebalancing, and a Diablo style inventory would be kind of nice, so that you can't carry ten swords, three bows, several hundred arrows, four suits of armor, enough food to feed an army, 150 potion bottles, and whatever else your character can shove in their pockets.

What i want for realism is for Stalker style inventories. Where you have a certain amount of space AND a certain amount of weight where the space is shown graphically.

In addition I want a total revamp of the weapon and armor weights. Seriously, 20 pounds for a claymore? IRL they weigh ~ 4.5 pounds. You CAN'T use a 20 pound sword. SLEDGE HAMMERS don't weight that much.

Why do you think weight in Skyrim is measured in pounds? Why not kilos? Weight of items in game is custom made measurement unit that reflect both weight and space items require to carry (at least I assume this). Therefor lowering weight limit to something about 100-150 should be a quick (but dirty) fix to the weight problem.

You know how enchanted items have a usage bar that decreases after each attack? Maybe you could make that into something like a weapon condition type thing.

Also you could make lockpicking in real-time so you can't lockpick containers in the middle of a fight.

Yes, very good idea!

Please read some modder these ideas are great ...

I want a more accurate Skyrim to real life

- limted capacity backpack... of space

- Modification of the interface of the items (no interface console)

- Dismemberment of legs and arms

- Physics of NPC's corpse when you hit

- Underwater viewing

- Iron armor, heavy armor, complete sets... make your move slower and less agile

- The player can be equipped with only 1 Armor

- Equip the player with less weapons

I modded my own Stalker game yrs back.Wanting high realism and I scoured all real weapon charts and came up with a system that used effective range of rifles to get their accuracy.Was a month long process and when I was done I found that realistic weapons are a *censored* since weapons are actually very accurate.I then added in bullet drop and opened up a new game play.Sniper rifles were great with little drop off,assault rifles had decent drop off and min machine guns had a lot of drop off.No other mod did that instead had this huge spray of bullets from sniper down the scale.This way you were actually using skill by gauging bullet drop to the weapon you had equipped and worked well in Stalker.

Then I modded in animals to drop food stuff and made it so you had to eat and then sleep 8 hrs to regain your health.This was a huge stumbling block that no modder could overcome.Reason was that a health regen stat in the ini files was actually not functional and when I found that out I could make for realistic feeding/healing rates by causing one to have to sleep with a full belly.I then made another mod where you actually needed to head back to the Stalker camps to see a doctor and then lay down in the beds to rest for 8 hrs.This was excellent and really opened up the realism since you now were creeping around trying to keep your health up to make it back to base.Some of the situations I got into trying to get back to the camp with 1/4 health and bloodsuckers surrounding the camp were thrilling.

I had to make a change to the game to allow this change from medkits=instant health to actually surviving a few battles all beat up and needing to head back to camp.So I lowered damage a good amount so that 2 head shots and your dead or 6 bullets to body with high armor and your dead.You could take a few bullets at which point you needed to waste a medkit that now only stopped bleeding and had stimulants to offset your limping for 1 hour to be able to at least walk back to camp.

This is great in Stalker but Skyrim is a different game in a fantasy world with magical potions that restore you to brand new.Not realistic feeling but theres a way to make it feel realistic or at least more realistic than it feels now.So to make a really fun yet realistic feeling game you would need to mod the damage amounts first and foremost so that blocking attacks,especially power attacks,a lot more of the damage gets blocked.When blocking a fight should last awhile and your skill in timing and blocking becomes important.Instead they made Skyrim so that you just spam attack and if you have better stats you win....sucks!!!

Then make it so that when you get hit you start to bleed out and your health bar slowly starts to drop.Stalker was great becuase big caliber weapons could cause greater blood loss compared to smaller caliber but Skyrim is no where as detailed as the Stalker engine is.This is where your healing potions come in....they actually heal up wounds so no further health loss happens.Then you make food act to heal you but 1/4 speed of normal health regen we have now.You would need to play with the regen because at 0 which I have my game right now the potions that heal over time no longer work.

This way after a fight you would eat a meal and walking to next objective the health will SLOWLY rise back to normal.I am talking about like this....right now heal potions can heal for 300 seconds will now say heals over 28800 secs or 8 hours in game time.Meaning you have to sleep with food in you for 8 hrs.

It is very likely you won't be able to alter the way the game handles inventory, because that sort of thing is usually hardcoded, so we are probably stuck with the Giant List inventory style.

One way to simulate item weight/volume accurately is to simply modify the weight parameter for items according to their actual weight AND volume. So a sack of feathers would have a rather large weight, preventing you from stuffing a hundred of them in your pockets.