Follower Overhaul

korenogamer

I completely agree with all points, but the default equipment one cracks me up. Even if you console remove the default equipment, the followers would rather revert to nothing at all than wear your cruddy duds when you aren't watching :ohmy: I mean, I suppose it's nice to come home and see the ol' wife in her leather bikini and all, but I'd rather her not be walking around town like that all day!

Some way to level them up. Lydia is a lifesaver for my Khajiit mage from 1 to 20, but then she starts sucking. Bad. I want companions that scale with your level, and hopefully, allow you to level them up and specialize them with perks.

i have a simple suggestion, it would require a UI edit, but still.

when you use the issue command feature (which should be bound to a key) and target something a radial menu comes up with all the actions the follower can do to that object. using this will override the AI temporarily.

these actions can include:

for items: take, equip, steal, etc.

non-agressive npcs: talk, pickpocket, distract, attack, etc.

agressive npcs: attack, distract, sneak attack, pickpocket, etc.

you get the idea.

also, it would be nice if one could specify how the follower acts based on your actions. I.E. when i draw my bow my follower targets the same thing and we loose the arrows at the same time. or i want my follower to not use melee untill an aggressive enemy is in melee range

Some way to level them up. Lydia is a lifesaver for my Khajiit mage from 1 to 20, but then she starts sucking. Bad. I want companions that scale with your level, and hopefully, allow you to level them up and specialize them with perks.

would add a lot to immersion when your companions grow with you...

My biggest annoyance has been the followers ruining my attempts to sneak. Followers' sneak skill should be set to equal or better than the player's. Someone already mentioned them wearing the armor you give them, and that affects sneaking too.

My second biggest annoyance is how some temporary followers cause your primary follower to quit, while others don't cause such jealousy.

The problem is their AI, not their skill level. They still walk out of the shadows regardless of their skill.

They should try and match the player's actions while using their own path creation algorithms keeping the focus on being undetected and hidden away in shadows and corners of rooms. If they can't form a safe undetectable path, as in they know there is 0% chance of pulling it off.. then they should just stay behind and let you proceed without them.. not daftly follow you through a horde of falmer knocking into each one along the way.

======================

* Stay behind when necessary

* Catch up when it is safe

* Don't do anything stupid when someone's life is low

* Use the player's path as a good starting point for path creation inserting player actions appropriately (rolls, jumps, etc)

* Don't block the player

======================

With not blocking the player, I would have the AI stay to the sides of rooms primarily. When they inevitably do block you, walk up to them.. natural action trying to push them out of the way. Then if you turn around have them follow closely behind you but then when possible to do so without detection (if sneaking) move up to your side to leave the path open.

Post your ideas on how to change the follower system here....

1- Hand Gestures - Gesture to your follower to stay or follow. This would help for when you tell the follower to stay while to navigate a trapped hallway and deactivate it on the other side. It would keep you from having to go back to them and tell them to follow again.

• Stay
  • Follow
  • Distract (then you click a location to perform the distraction)
  • Sneak/Stop Sneaking
  • How did you get stuck/lost? (would summon the follower to you if this happens)

2- Whisper - When in a dungeon or near enemies, the follower talks way too loud. They need to whisper.

3- Run Errands - Would be nice to load your follower up with items, and then tell them to take them home or go sell them and then come back.

4- Change Perminant Equipment - As of now, when you give a follower gear, they wear it initially, but when you see them later after dismissing them, they still have the gear in their inventory, but they are not wearing it. I give my archer follower a good bow, but he wont use it.

5- Tactics Menu - A place to set specific tactics perameters.

• Exit combat at __% health
  • Use heal potion at __% health
  • Use mag potion at __% magika

6- Make home here - This would allow you to change the place your followers go to when you tell them to get lost

7- Essential / Not Essential toggle

8- Leveling Companions

9- Adjust their colision so that the player can walk through them

Lets keep this list going for an all inclusive follower overhaul mod.

i really thing you got some cool ideas the ones i like the most are 1 3 4 5 8 and of those i like the best is 3 where they take stuff and sale sort of like the game torch light and also a timer can be added for when they return i thank also maybe a mod where more than one companion can be with the player

I like the setting companion home to wherever you want idea. Would be cool to have a follower party at one of the houses lol. Companions should be able to wear regular town clothes when they aren't actively following you. Just for immersion purposes, no biggee.

Also...can Lydia stay in her OWN effing room? She owns that damn bed but shes always in my room...sitting in the chair...munching on cheese....watching me sleep...

It would be nice it they would actually use the best armor/weapon for themselves.

I have Kharjo and if he has an iron shield and and steel shield he will use the iron shield. On top of that if I give him a steel battle axe he will use it instead of the orc mace with +20 fire damage for some reason.