FIX: Bow Engagment Distance Limit Remover

yasutaka

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/imageshare/images/932470-1321332888.jpg

To be clear, this is not the maximum "range" of bows, arrows can go much farther that this. The problem is that if you shoot at an NPC from any farther away, arrows will pass harmlessly through them.

Though I have some minor modding experience, I doubt I will know where to begin with this one. My hope is that, when modding tools become available, someone with more experience will step up and create a mod that either gets rid of or dramatically reduces this artificial limit imposed on archery. Please endorse/comment on this thread if you, too, want to see a mod to address this limitation.

FYI: This limit seems to also apply to magic (and any other ranged combat, I would assume).

EDIT (11/19): A possible fix has been posted by user Azula II on the official Bethesda Skyrim forums. Thanks to Nexus users saeb for finding the fix on the bethsoft forums and kaelling for bringing it to my attention, please give them some kudos here and here.

Add this code to your skyrim.ini file, located at [username]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000

This is three times the default value (4096.0), but you can change it to whatever you want (within reason, if you don't want to crash your game :wink:)

A useful console command to find the distance of an NPC (also provided by Azula II):

player.getDistance [actorID]

(Open the console by pressing "~" on your keyboard. Get the actor ID by clicking on an NPC with the console up.)

Edited by yasutaka

+1000m

lol, yes I agree and hate this so much. in oblivion I use to zoom in and take aim a full stealth eye above an enemy and get a 1 hit headshot kill... now I have to get close enough to be seen to take the shot... me no like.

Full support for this simple idea