Vilkas -- odd bug

savagegreywolf

I'm having a weird issue. I entered the Companions' mead hall and Vilkas drew his sword and ran over to me. Then he sheathed his sword and initiated conversation. when I clicked out of it, he drew his sword, then sheathed it and started all over again. He just keeps going around in this loop no matter what I do. If I leave the area he follows me, showing up immediately in the area as if he was in my party, even if he is not.

Quite a few things have changed in my game since the last time I was in an area and he was normal. One possible cause is I have a Reach bounty on me that's high enough to cause guards to auto-attack. Whiterun guards do -not- attack me. It could be something else as well, I suppose. I raised my carry weight with the console, dunno if that could be having a weird effect.

All the way back on my autosaves this occurs, unfortunately my last non-auto save is about five levels back and I'll lose nearly an entire evening worth of questing... If I can repair this I'd rather do that. Serves me right for not constantly saving today I guess... Any ideas of what it could be and/or how to repair it?

Here's one of the affected saves.

Well, I couldn't fix him using any of those methods. I could turn off his AI but I didn't want to do that every time I wanted to talk to him. Turns out I actually -did- save my game just one level back though, so I didn't lose as much time as I thought.

Made it back up Smithing :D

Weird bug though. Anyone else get this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Found this post using a search because I am having the exact same problem. No matter where I go, he follows forcing dialogue even if I'm talking to somebody else. Which means I couldn't do any of the other quests around there until I shut his AI off.

I have zero mods.

I think I do have a bounty in The Pale. No idea how or why - not even sure where The Pale is. I do get the message "Cannot fast travel while a guard is chasing you." The actual guards don't chase me. I guess he must be marked as a guard somehow?

This was the first thing I did when I started playing yesterday so I would have to revert back to some other of my 250+saves to guess at what was wrong - not doing it.

Edit: quick update, I just popped in game, paid my bounty off at dawnstar, went back and turned his AI on and he seems to be normal now. Maybe he got flagged as a guard without a city somehow?

Edited by pantherfern

I haven't run into this problem, but as pantherfern suggested, this is a glitch that I've heard comes up when you carry a bounty. Apparently, Vilkas and Farkas are "guards" and will chase you when you have a bounty.

Check the wiki for him at: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Vilkas

or at http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Vilkas

and look at "bugs".

Edited by PositivelyNegative

• 2 months later...
I found a Bug where Vilkas wants to cleanse himself from his Werewolf Curse, so i Fast Travel to Ysgramor and Vilkas is nowhere to be found, even the Quest Log is Completed, si i travelled With Vilkas to Ysgramor and i helped him Cleanse his Curse, now i need to talk to him, but theres no Dialogue.