HOWTO: Fix for Skyrim installation stuck at 26%

Wyrdfire

So you've got your copy of Skyrim today. Which would be great if it worked! :facepalm:

The installer terminates at 26% with a nice error message:

Steam.exe (Main Exception): ERROR: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there

or a slightly different version:

Steam.exe (Main Exception): Delete of steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 'Access is denied'

in which case, according to Steam support (Valve) you should:

• ensure that you are logged in as an administrator
  • make sure the read-only checkbox on steam.exe is not checked
  • disable any product which may be interfering with their cra...uh, I mean the incredibly useful Steam client.

Unbelievably, the huge list (here) of software "known to cause issues with Steam and playing games" includes legit system software such as Catalyst AI, ATI Hotkey Poller, ATI Tray Tools, K-Lite Codecs, and almost any conceivable antivirus, anti-malware, firewall or security application out there.

And needless to say, none of those suggestions work...

In my case, before throwing the Skyrim disc out of my window while cursing Steam in 3 different languages, I decided to ignore Valve's priceless suggestions altogether and try a different route.

I'm posting the instructions here in case someone else needs them:

1. Launch the Skyrim installer from the DVD as usual

2. As soon as the Steam dialog appears looking for updates, close it and reboot immediately

3. Hit F8 repeatedly during the startup process (before Windows appears) and choose "Safe mode with network support"

4. Go to Steam's directory (default is \Program Files (x86)\Steam\) and locate the darned steam.exe

Note: if you can't find steam.exe but steamnew.exe is there, you didn't stop the update process in time (see step 2), you'll have to repeat the process (in my case renaming steamnew to steam didn't work)

5. Now you can either double click on steam.exe and let the installation process begin, OR (better) if you want to install from the DVD, enter the following command in the "Run" box in Windows' start menu:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe -install D:"

replacing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\ with the path to your steam.exe and D: with the letter of your DVD drive

6. The installation should complete normally as long as you have a working internet connection. You'll be asked to create a Steam account. When you're done, reboot

7. Optional: if all game files have been successfully updated (i.e. the update status for Skyrim in the Library section shows as 100%) you can play in Offline Mode. Just go to the main Steam window and select "Go Offline" from the menu. Now you can close Steam when you play Skyrim.

You can also create a launcher on your desktop pointing to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\SkyrimLauncher.exe" (remember to change the path) if you want to skip Steam and see Skyrim's launcher directly

8. Play!

(Edit: typos...)

Edited by Wyrdfire