Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting the feeling magic will be depleted rather quickly from spells even with the training perks, so have you considered lowering the magicka cost of runes while also reducing their power. This would turn their function more into traps; you would open with a fireball and those that survived would be weakened and susceptible to those finishing effects of the spells. It would lend the mage class to be more of planning-based/ strategic experience. Do you want to save every drop of magicka for a spell in the chance that you'll wipe them out? Or do you hold back on your opener to lay safeguards for yourself?

And, also, have you heard of the Dynamic Wards mod? I'd like if you'd consider adding something similar. Basically, the mod makes it so the Ward spell only drains magicka when it absorbs damage. Maybe you could modify it so that it drains minor magicka while just held and then eats chunks of it while blocking damage. Essentially, making it similar to the way a shield would function: you'll eventually get tired from holding up the shield and you'll get tired a lot faster if someone's smashing on it all day. It would literally turn the Ward spell into the mage's shield.

now that sounds nice. i never played mage in any game. im always the melee guy, but i guess th idea is so good because shield and ward would then fucntion the same way.!

coming back to the topic: i love that you release the mod in modules and dont make a complete overhaul.

for example i would like to have fasttravel, but no compass and no "your position"-marker active. so you can fasttravel to known locations easily, but have to find new locations by using ur f***ing eyes :P :D another example. your basic needs mod is immersive , yet not too realistic to break my gameplay experience. thats why i prefer ur mod over some other food and drink mods. but i think you have in mind that ballance is more important than realism. you have to find a good way in between. but from what i am reading you seem to get that point :)

so just to encourage you in your work: release the mod in parts is the best idea i think. for example i wont use a carry wight mod, but i use a food and drink and a a combatoverhaul mod. your mod series could make easy succes due to its versatality and the way you can pick single tweaks and changes. i wont activate a fire, water, hypothermia mod (or however it is called ^^) etc.

keep up your awesome work!

Mansh00ter, I have a suggestion that may not interest you, but I think it's quite fitting with your basic needs module (very much the sleep part):

A drugs, stimulants, and addictions system.

Skooma and alcohol are already in the game, but the former is absolutely lame and boring in vanilla Skyrim, and I'm not sure anyone has made a good mod for it, yet. Of course, non-magic stimulants make more sense in a non-magic world such as Fallout, since magic potions are just not available.

But a system like this could be a massive addition to the alchemy/ingredient system! It could also add a risk (addiction/side effects) factor to potions, risks similar to the raw ingredients, but different in magnitude. This could, in turn, make the raw ingredients more favorable in some situations (or to some players).

If this does not interest you, it may interest someone else on this thread :)

Addiction to Health Potions? Side effects of drinking too many Mana Potions? I sure would like to see that much more than alcoholism simulation - there is nothing in matters of gameplay that would make this interesting as you just don't have to drink alcohols at all.

Also, I was thinking about the way you want damage to be calculated and here is my two cents:

Damage in melee combat seems to me to not only depend on the weapon but also on the skill and strength of the attacker. Skill and strength actually should mean much more than you want it to be. I know you want to make combat dangerous at all levels and you have my full support in that but I don't think that making weapon damage a constant is the right way to go.

There is a huge difference between "I can swing this sword at you" and "I can cut you in half with this swords" and it all comes to skill and physical strength - weapon quality is important but it is not the deciding factor. We already have a skill stat and its only a matter of balancing it. The stat we are lacking is strength. Luckily, you have already established Health as a king of substitute for strength and I just would like to see it to make more of an impact.

What do I want to achieve? A situation where a mage or a cunning assassin in dire situation could drink a Fortify Health potion, grab a huge hammer and maul his enemies with his superior strength - not relying on skill or the weapon quality (he just took it from the body of a killed bandit) but on the superhuman strength he got from the potion. Obviously it would be balanced by the price and duration of the potion.

Edited by tomislawus

The problem with including HP in such calculations is that you run right into the same wall I created the whole system to bypass - Bethesda used HP offsets to artificially bolster certain NPC's, and you have scrawny mages with thousands of HP. While I did include HP ratios in calculations for block, they are included only partially and only have a little impact on damage.

From my experience with martial arts involving swords, I can tell you that physical strength isn't that important when combat-ready weapons are concerned. Most battle-ready weapons are balanced for ease of swinging them, and a sword swung by a scrawny person will be capable of killing or injuring just as well as when swung by a body builder. Sure, a very strong person may be able to cut your whole damn leg off with a single swing, but when it comes to killing, it doesn't matter if your leg or arm was loped off or if you just got your guts spilled or neck artery slashed by a much weaker blow - you're dead anyway. Just like in hand-to-hand martial arts, you don't have to hit someone as hard as humanly possible, you just have to hit them hard enough, which turns out isn't hard at all.

Weapon skill has greater impact on weapon damage, though even there I limited it to 15% - as I said, when it comes to actual damage, skill doesn't make a sword any more dangerous. Both skill and strength, however, do matter when defending and you can see some real difference in that area - the formula evaluates both the attacker and the defender, for skill, strength and weapon types to determine how much damage is blocked.

So in short - inflicting damage isn't hard in TRO, but landing blows is. A peasant can kill just as quickly as a knight, the problem is that a peasant doesn't know how to overcome the opponent's defenses and keep up his own. That's the kind of combat realism I'm going for.

And you don't want to chug any potions in the middle of a fight - you're going to get mauled if you do. Chug them beforehand. ;)

Personally, I enjoy throwing back a couple after a long day of killing bandits so bring on the alcohol effects! Addiction to health potions is interesting but really not all that game changing in my opinion. I would rather them be heal over time. It doesn't matter how hard you make combat if you can just spam health potions. Mansh00ter has it right in my opinion :thumbsup:

you don't have to hit someone as hard as humanly possible, you just have to hit them hard enough, which turns out isn't hard at all.

Nicely put :P

On the addiction thing, I never meant this to replace the planned heal over time system. It was simply an idea from Fallout that I found interesting and it would revive the lore around Moon Sugar and Skooma, as well as enhance (well, alter) alchemy.

Weapon skill has greater impact on weapon damage, though even there I limited it to 15% - as I said, when it comes to actual damage, skill doesn't make a sword any more dangerous.

So in short - inflicting damage isn't hard in TRO, but landing blows is.

I still don't quite have a grasp on the flow, but that may be faulted to my reading comprehension.

Skill should be the singular determining factor. A contest of skills determines whether a blow lands, and where. Strength and dexterity play some roles here: dexterity can avoid blocks and parries, whereas strength can overcome them. The subsequent concern is any damage reduction in the area of the strike - again, the skilled combatant will more likely have struck an advantageous location but others will get lucky occasionally. Strength may also help punching through here.

The one thing I really don't like about most fantasy games is the focus on “better” weapons*. At best, they should affect handling (dexterity-related) and bypassing some amount of blocks and armoring, or damage reduction.

* But, really, this is just a consequence of the simplification known as “hit points” upon which you touch. It's hard to work within such a system.

Edited by meh12345