Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

That's doable. It's just a matter of tweaking a few settings.

Now what I want to do with all spells that can potentially turn the battle in your favor with a single cast is introduce a fail mechanic... for example, summoning spells should have a chance to fail based on your skill, where then you end up summoning a hostile creature instead of an ally. Failed charm spells could maybe have a "mental backlash" with a short debuff and some visual effects (like getting a concussion, only short-lived). Stuff like that.

Work on the mod progresses, but slowly last week - RL takes it's toll. Good news is that I think I am finally on the right track concerning the script lag. Basically I have split the main script into several smaller ones, so that only damage is handled by the main script, while all other stuff, like animations, critical hit effects (wounds) etc. are handled by separate scripts. This reduces the footprint of individual scripts and, thanks to the threaded nature of the script engine, should reduce or completely eliminate lag.

So this week I'm hoping to finish recoding the entire thing and the core of the mod should be complete.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about balancing magic by introducing spell ingredients? Like, if you want to summon a skeleton you have to throw a bone on the ground and then cast a spell on it (not really possible, right?). If you played paper WFRP you will know what I mean - every spell had an ingredient that was used after casting the spell. Sulfur for fire spells, some shiny powder for electricity, etc.

I think I already suggested that... :psyduck:

You can have ingredient-based magic by setting up conditions for the spell (for example you have to have at least one bone fragment in your inventory) and attaching a script that removes that ingredient upon casting. But, a separate, ingredient-specific script would have to be attached to every spell in the game, so while I like the idea as a method of further deepening gameplay, it will have to take a back seat to more pressing changes. But it should be possible, yes.

Yeah, it would probably just increase script lag... Anyway, I was thinking more in the likes where you have this enchanted bone (finally a use for crafting!) in your inventory and when you throw it on the ground it changes from an item to a corpse that looks exactly the same as the bone item so you don't really see the difference. Now you can animate this "corpse" and spawn a skeleton or something. It would be interesting for a necromancer to actually require bodies (or magically enchanted bones) to create zombies and skeletons. Same for summoning daedra - you need daedric items to summon them. I hate it when you summon stuff from thin air.

I have an idea, dunno if its feasible or not, but maybe you'll also like it. I think it would be a nice and realistic addition to implement some kinda "armour fitting" system. The basic idea is to have different sized (not model, but rather script/cfg wise) armour pieces in the game world, and most of the people would use their own armour fitting for their body. So a skinny wood elf would have problems wearing an armour found on a big orc. I dont say make it impossible, but have some "uncomfortable" penalties, like slower movement, reduced armour effectiveness. So if you would want a really good armour, you'd have to order it from the smith.

Yeah, it would probably just increase script lag... Anyway, I was thinking more in the likes where you have this enchanted bone (finally a use for crafting!) in your inventory and when you throw it on the ground it changes from an item to a corpse that looks exactly the same as the bone item so you don't really see the difference. Now you can animate this "corpse" and spawn a skeleton or something. It would be interesting for a necromancer to actually require bodies (or magically enchanted bones) to create zombies and skeletons. Same for summoning daedra - you need daedric items to summon them. I hate it when you summon stuff from thin air.

Based on lore, I don't think reagents should be necessary for daedric summons. You're not using a body or anything, you're tearing a hole in the walls of reality to reach the planes of Oblivion. The only thing that doesn't make sense is the summons of skeletons, the zombies use actual corpses so that's fine.

But this is purely academic since Manny has better things to work on.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2700

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/691664-project-wars-in-skyrim-v/page__p__5479984__hl__gasti89__fromsearch__1#entry5479984

Do you think TRO will be compatible with either of these (ESPECIALLY the first one)? The second one looks like it's in early stages of development so it might be hard to tell, but how will TRO handle non-vanilla NPC/monster introduction?

Thanks for all your hard work. Looking forward to your first combat release!

Edited by frostypaw

TRO will handle all custom creatures/monsters/NPC's just fine, as long as they have the appropriate keywords set (TRO - Combat Overhaul uses keywords to determine the nature and type of enemies). So for example, if someone makes a new type of bear, they MUST set the "beast" keyword on them, otherwise that bear will be treated as a normal humanoid NPC, which removes the damage and defense bonuses beasts have.

As for gear, weapons and armor have their own hardcoded stats, and no special actions need to be taken.