Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

I love the idea of forcing the player to bring a big toolbox and not just one big wrench. As it is, I have a lot of tools that are fun, but not strictly needed because Invisibility+Sneak Attack almost always works. Edited by Lokiron

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have been suggested, but a Survival skill to go along all the food/drink/sleep requirements might work well.

This could reduce requirements altogether, but more interestingly, it could increase resistance to food poisoning, mitigate penalties for unsteady sleep rhythm, maybe increase awareness while sleeping, and ability to camouflage a camp etc. Of course without making this skill a must, it could synergize with other skills (or maybe snuck into other skills with through new perks).

Edited by Lokiron

i have a question. if you're always one or two hits away from death (i like realistic) how do you up your armor skill? or do i have to be hit like million times and heal myself constantly to get some armor perks? i especially love to play on expert/master difficulty where u don't wanna be hit at all, but with this mod it seems to progress your armor skill is completely impossible. or can it be overcome by gaining armor skill through blocking (heavy/light shield). sorry if this issue was already discussed.

i have a question. if you're always one or two hits away from death (i like realistic) how do you up your armor skill? or do i have to be hit like million times and heal myself constantly to get some armor perks? i especially love to play on expert/master difficulty where u don't wanna be hit at all, but with this mod it seems to progress your armor skill is completely impossible. or can it be overcome by gaining armor skill through blocking (heavy/light shield). sorry if this issue was already discussed.

That is a really good point. Maybe you'd also get armor experience on dodges and when you hit (you learn to move in it).

Yeah. I think I'm going to do away with armor skills determining protection you get from armor. In any case, you won't need to rely on skill in order to get the most from your armor where it counts, which is preventing bad guys from bashing your skull in. As for armor-related perks, I'd like to relegate them to something a bit more active. Maybe, if possible, have combat actions while wearing armor of a certain type increase the relevant skill. We'll see. I have to test things first and see what works best.

Yeah. I think I'm going to do away with armor skills determining protection you get from armor. In any case, you won't need to rely on skill in order to get the most from your armor where it counts, which is preventing bad guys from bashing your skull in. As for armor-related perks, I'd like to relegate them to something a bit more active. Maybe, if possible, have combat actions while wearing armor of a certain type increase the relevant skill. We'll see. I have to test things first and see what works best.

To defend the realistic aspect of protection increasing with skill, it represents your reactions and experience with armor. Like raising the arm at the right to make a blow a little less dangerous. Also skill with armor should have a significant impact on ones mobility and offensive capabilities. I imagine it takes quite a while to get used to the weight of heavy armor and to learn, not only with your mind but body as well, which movements are possible and which are hindered by the armor.

I'd say it would be a shame to take this expertise away from the experts.

To defend the realistic aspect of protection increasing with skill, it represents your reactions and experience with armor. Like raising the arm at the right to make a blow a little less dangerous. Also skill with armor should have a significant impact on ones mobility and offensive capabilities. I imagine it takes quite a while to get used to the weight of heavy armor and to learn, not only with your mind but body as well, which movements are possible and which are hindered by the armor.

I'd say it would be a shame to take this expertise away from the experts.

Perks which lessen negative impacts of armor, yes, I am all for them since they do represent your character growing accustomed to wearing armor. But the way armor protects you from the blows is pretty much the same regardless of how used to it you are. Furthermore, since I am also going to lessen the impact weapon skill has on the damage weapons do, it only makes sense to do the same with armor. And no, a total amateur can do lethal damage with a two handed sword just as a master can. A master does it more easily, but that should be represented through other factors, not weapon damage. Same with armor. This way character skill stops having this magical influence on the nature of an item and instead starts having an influence on how the item is used.

Any thoughts on my suggestions for improving Dragons?

Just curious.

also,

Food, I quite like the fact that food has some actual role in the game. Of course it doesnt make sense for it to heal damage, at least not so directly, realistically speaking but if that is stripped from it then what other role it could have?

I like that the ingredients and recipes and preparing food serves some purpose.

What would be more appropriate? Other than just getting hungry and then being forced to eat in order to avoid some negative effects. I really dont like that - if its the only thing the food does. That just feels as if someone is forcing one negative thing on me in order to blackmail me into using the other feature to prevent it.

I guess affecting stamina is realistic? Giving the player a boost against the cold? Or reducing some types of natural cold damage (either from the weather or swimming).

I hope there can be more useful effects for the food.

Weapon damage and skill

In a way, increasing the skill with a weapon would indeed produce greater damage as end result, since a master swordsman can strike much faster and much more precisely thus inflicting greater damage overall.

Still, that can be broken down/translated into more direct increases in swings per unit of time and increases in critical hits.

Apart from that i think that a skilled fighter would know how to break or avoid blocking by enemies more readily and easily.

Its really a shame there is no parrying whatsoever, which makes combat really stupid, if you think about it. Especially for dual wielders.

I really doubt parrying can be modded in though.

Armor

I think the armor should sometimes completely negate any damage. And when the hit does "get through" or "finds a gap" then the damage should be greater to compensate.

To me, that sounds much more plausible and realistic.

Nice. Looks like you're going further into what I had in mind for a little mod, great idea!

I've started putting a little food mod together mostly for myself, playing around with tessnip (atm actually, which is how I found this thread.) Anyhow, just say this and thought I'd dump my ideas here so that you might find something useful. More than welcome to add the ideas that I had for it in as little or as much as you like, with perhaps a 'thanks' hidden away somewhere if you use them, I'll be switching to your mod on it's release anyhow ha.

/Cut n paste laziness sorry for any duplication /

Skyrim mod ideas

Food system

- food levels effect your regen rate. ie. you MUST eat to keep regen levels up. Otherwise they drop to practically zero. finally we have a use for food.

Implementation

- Adjust all food regen effects

- some food favors magakica, verus others

- duration based on size of food

- change potion regen

- play sound effect at end of event to say hungry

- may have zero regen when not eaten at all.

Problems

- regen is probably stackable so might have UBER regen rates

- could work around with fullness, not sure how I would do without CK

- clear out old food effects first?

- may effect other mods that play with regen rates.

- may have to eat whenever saving, have to check [probably not]

- possible fast travel problems

Other ideas

=============

Rotting food,

- will go off over time.

- A few days most of the time, depends.

- run a % chance system/duration, whatever, saves tracking individually and problems with stacking

- keeps inns busy.

- Eating rotted food = sickness [very slow poisoning effect and reduced stats]

- fruit and vegitables = 1 week

- meats = 1-2 days

- cheese = 1 month

- allow for 'fresh' food, so perhaps stages or give benefits for fresher food. fresh/stale/rotting

- add rotted food to leveled lists and do some adjustments depending on area. Ridiculous that food's LYING around for 1000 years and perfectly ok.

Fatness. Adds weight to people who eat too much and takes off weight for those who don't eat much, leading to starvation? Implement the 'weight'

Water needed

- not a bid deal, there's water EVERYWHERE

Coldness

- need furs for warmth

- cold water = really bad

Sleeping intergration

- Sleep effects magicka mostly

- combat skills are reduced if not 'well rested'

fast travel

- needs food for journey

Food effects carry weight - could just take off 10 and add +10 carry weight or whatever for duration, like strength potions

More powerful and useful potions to go along side.

- longer duration of potions generally

- no 'instant' health, but rather rapid healing

- poisons much more virilant and dangerous, lasting possibly hours with -1 or faster acting.

-