Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

Oooh, that was a nice video, if anything it shows the potential the engine has. :)

I would love to have seasonal changes, but I think that will have to wait for laaater releases of the mod. Much higher priority is just sorting out weather (as in dynamic weather, no perma-snowstorms or snow-free frigid lowlands and such) and making weather interact with the player.

true very true... I think the guys trying to make this should keep a constant look out for other mods that they could ask permission to bundle with theirs, for instance there is already a blood mod and a darkness fix (makes night like night)

Absolutely, no reason to reinvent the wheel. Where possible I will look if others have made changes outlined in this mod and, if those are of decent quality and the authors don't mind sharing their work, incorporate them into TRO.

Though I am testing some stuff for interior darkness, that needs to be done in such a way to preserve ambient coloring to a degree. Just setting everything to pitch black won't do. And it can't be post-process based.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea, in the rough, but regardless

first off i would suggest you make this overhaul in "moduals" so that each individual portion is easier to manage. or replace should someone else do it better (god forbid)

well here's the idea:

-on tutorial you get incredibly shoddy equipment; "rusty" weapons, "Dry-rotted" leather, "Rusted steel", and so on

-"passable" armor should be the most common kind of armor in the game, you'll be seeing a lot of leather and iron armors (perhaps a "light iron" heavy armor set)

-good armor is expensive as hell (2000 or so gold), and you probably won't find whole sets of it in the wild, a bandit chieftain may have a set of nice boots, but the rest of his armor is bad.

-same goes for weapons, a lot of iron and wood and basic bows, decent weaponry is hard to find

-if something degrades far enough it's lost forever

-repairs take specific items

-coinage is hard to come by, quest rewards are reduced

-smithing needs to be more involved, but that's a whole other mod.

Maybe I should put it in big red bold letters in the OP - no worries, the mod will be totally modular so everyone can pick and choose what they want. For certain aspects and gameplay mechanics there will also be an in-game menu, once I figure out how to make them (and once there are enough changes to warrant the effort).

Otherwise, work is progressing nicely. Version 0.1 should be out next week probably, and the first changes being rolled out will touch on environment realism and combat realism (damage/defense, lethal magic, etc.)

Just as an example, Spark spell has been transformed from a basic electric damage spell rendered useless at later levels into a very useful crowd control spell. Now it has an 80% chance of a light stagger if the target is already wounded and when dual-casting, and will knock the target completely down in spastic convulsions if it is under 45% health, even with one handed casting. So you could, for example, blast a group of enemies with a fireball, and then proceed to go all Palpatine on them. Doesn't work on Dragons or creatures otherwise immune to paralysis.

If you think that may be overpowered, remember that a lowly bandit can kill you with a couple of axe swings so imagine what three or four Draugr could do. You will need crowd control and lots of it.

Oh, and it should also work on you, so watch out. :P

I'v not been keeping up on the pages, but i would like to know if this is finally being worked on now?

I know that the vampire and werewolf overhauls are being worked on now, so all 3 of these are going to be awesome when they're finally able to be downloaded!

Environment realism includes less gold/resources, right? Also, making food less available would be another good realism option. Skyrim is a war-torn province, food should be hard to come by, but in vanilla game you bump into piles of goat cheeses, breads, cabbages etc at almost every house.

Unfortunately, going through every cell and removing objects such as food by hand would simply take too much time. There will be a lot less edible items in containers though, since I can go through those via lists. So effectively the player will either have to buy food or steal it most of the time. Considering you will need to eat several times every day, I think the food will not seem overly abundant.