Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

I posted this on the mods request thread, but I thought I would post a suggestion to how the melee combat could be addressed. To get rid of button mashing, you could make pressing the mouse the backswing of the sword/axe, just like it is the pullback of the bowstring. The longer the pullback, the greater the damage, and no pullback = no damage. You could also slow the characters down when they are backswinging to make combat tense and slow. You could also make aiming sword blows to head and legs a tactical possibility. Would love it you could implement something like this.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Bethesda has completely snipped locational damage from the CK, you can't even touch it. So for the foreseeable future, no real locational damage is possible. Similar with the combat system (you're basically talking Mount&Blade style, right), weapon swings are fixed animations, and there is no way to separate them into stages.

I'll get rid of the button mashing by making sure that's pretty much the best way to get killed quickly. You WILL have to be very proactive at defending yourself, armor will only help you so much.

Water is actually pretty heavy, 10 pounds per gallon. Not sure what size water bottle we are talking about here...

Water has a density of 1 kg/L. Iron has a density of 8 kg/L.

1 US gallon is 3,78541 L, 1 US pound is 0,45359237 kg/lb.

This makes 1 US gallon of water weigh

3,78541 L/gallon · 1 kg/L = 3,785 kg / gallon

(3,785 kg / gallon) / (0,45359237 kg/lb) = 8,3454 lb / gallon.

In my opinion, one "sip" would very much equal 1 pound, maybe 2. No more. Drinking more than a liter of water would make you completely bloated!

Edited by Lokiron

Are you planing do add your mod to Steam workshop? I have some problems using the Nexus manager and Steam workshop together.

Total Realism will eventually be added to the Workshop, but while in the WIP stage I prefer to have only Nexus as the download option for the mod - that way all the feedback is contained to one official source and I can better track all impressions, bug reports etc.

@Lokiron, the way Toral Realism calculates weight is by taking into account weight AND volume of an item, so the number is no longer tied to weight only (can you fit 50 bottles of potions in your pockets/pouches?). Final aim is to make it pretty hard to lug half a dungeon's worth of swords in your pockets and the game will be quite challenging (people complain about being able to carry a ton of food around, for example) simply because you will have to always decide what to drop and what to carry with you.

There will be pack horses and backpacks to help, but for general inventory, you will want a pack horse, backpacks will help you with food and potions a little, but forget about weapons.

Actually, the pain in the rear for me is that the game takes weapon weight into account when calculating damage for power swings, and since weight is going to be totally overhauled, I'll need to balance that too.

@Lokiron, the way Toral Realism calculates weight is by taking into account weight AND volume of an item, so the number is no longer tied to weight only (can you fit 50 bottles of potions in your pockets/pouches?). Final aim is to make it pretty hard to lug half a dungeon's worth of swords in your pockets and the game will be quite challenging (people complain about being able to carry a ton of food around, for example) simply because you will have to always decide what to drop and what to carry with you.

I can see the sense in that. The unit on weight was never concrete, anyway.

Thnx Manshooter for this mod! I'm looking forward to the changes you plan to implement. I really appreciate the work you have put into the mod and it has made the game that much better. As mentioned before there is way too much gold available (especially when looted off dead bodies or dragons) I myself have almost 100,000 pieces and i don't steal or loot everything i see. There was one mod for Diablo (i forget the name) that actually removed gold entirely forcing you to use what you find in the environment. You couldn't even repair it...when it broke it was gone. I'm not suggesting that for skyrim but making gold very very scarce should be realistic. Why would a dragon be carrying gold? Where would he put it? :-) Anyways, i can't thank you enough...

Seanxx, that's purely down to your personal preference. Imp's mod looks way more in-depth and complex than TRO - Basic Needs (I haven't played it, so my opinion is based on what I saw on the Nexus page), so if you're looking for high detail and knowing every parameter precisely, then the choice is clear.

I designed TRO - Basic Needs with simplicity in mind, following in the footsteps of the original Basic Needs for Oblivion, so that you have a very real need to eat, sleep and drink, but do not have to pay too much attention to the "how" in the end.

I'm not saying IMCN is a chore to play, far from it, actually looks like a whole mini-game by itself, I just personally find that level of data and management a bit overwhelming for a fantasy game. But as I said, de gustibus non disputandum, choose by your own preferences.

One little caveat though - Basic Needs is just a little portion of the Total Realism Overhaul, which by itself is going to be a massive mod, with thousands of changes and tweaks. When it comes to sleep, hunger and thirst simulation, I can only guarantee compatibility with the TR - Basic Needs.