Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

sorry, what does RWT stand for?

Will the inventory/weight component of your mod be included this weekend? planning on pulling a sickie and diving back into skyrim early next week.

thanks

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, what does RWT stand for?

Realistic Water Texture i guess..

@Mansh00ter

enjoyed your TRO for quite some time, but the messaging is kinda disturbing to me, so is it possible that you'll bring back the version with no messaging at all, or best it can be configure ingame..thanks and keep up the good work..

@lokiron Channeling tremendous forces to perform magic should be taxing on the individual. In my opinion, it's better to model it at least partially through stamina, than just through an opaque ‘magicka’ concept.

@Mansh00ter OK, I definitely get that. People are, by and large, squishy. I'd also generally go with the GURPSy approach of having a low number of hit points and focusing on the dodge/parry style (this may obviously be limited by how much you can work with/around the game engine, but the principle of a level 50 not being able to take any more axes to the face than a level 1 can be implemented in many ways). I can also appreciate that it is rewarding to add all these things! It also sounds like you're well aware of the various other mods, so you can take interoperability into account when working on your stuff.

The new stuff is looking good.

Channeling tremendous forces to perform magic should be taxing on the individual. In my opinion, it's better to model it at least partially through stamina, than just through an opaque ‘magicka’ concept.

Ok, I see your point. So you'd want magicka gone? I think this would be a shame, but I have an idea you may like. What if magicka was a measure of mental stamina. Being low on magicka would imply some penalties equivalent to how you can't sprint without stamina. Such penalties could be vision blur, can't walk straigt, reduced hearing, and/or increased sleep requirement.

This would be sort of cool, I think.

Refined Dual Wield parrying today, now you can parry fluidly, just like you do with standard blocking. Works quite nicely!

As for hitpoints, right now I managed to even out the damage across all levels, and damage is mostly based on actual weapons, not character skill. Skill plays a factor, but a much smaller one than before. Combat damage perks will also be reduced, so that the highest perk gives only about 30% more damage, instead of 200%. This means that a level 1 can dish out about the same damage using a steel axe as a level 50.

The other discrepancy I am working on is hitpoints - higher level NPC's have a LOT more hitpoints than low level ones. This ends up making lower level weapons obsolete. The 4x damage increase for all weapons helps a bit though. But in the end, it means that a lvl 70 player, if they had put all their points in health, will have about 800 HP sans equipment, which translates to about 16 hits with an iron axe if they are not wearing any armor and are hit by a fully skilled NPC (+15% damage from skill), less if they get hit with a more powerful weapon. Same goes for NPC's, although some more epic ones usually go into thousand of HP's. Not very satisfactory, but can be done with minimal editing, in other words, quickly.

Another solution is to absolutely minimize the stat gain through leveling, both for the player and NPC's. This reduces a level 70 player to max 170 HP, which means they could take about 4 hits with an iron axe if naked and hit by a fully skilled NPC. Same goes with generic NPC's.

The problem here is that Bethesda used a lot of individual settings for named NPC's to make them more epic, and they used hefty health offsets, sometimes in the thousands, so you would end up pitting the player with 100-170HP against an NPC who has 1000-3000HP. With epic weapons and excellent playing skill, not impossible but hellishly difficult. The offsets can only be changed one by one via the CK and would require individual editing of hundreds and hundreds of actors.

A dilemma indeed. Thoughts?

Refined Dual Wield parrying today, now you can parry fluidly, just like you do with standard blocking. Works quite nicely!

As for hitpoints, right now I managed to even out the damage across all levels, and damage is mostly based on actual weapons, not character skill. Skill plays a factor, but a much smaller one than before. Combat damage perks will also be reduced, so that the highest perk gives only about 30% more damage, instead of 200%. This means that a level 1 can dish out about the same damage using a steel axe as a level 50.

The other discrepancy I am working on is hitpoints - higher level NPC's have a LOT more hitpoints than low level ones. This ends up making lower level weapons obsolete. The 4x damage increase for all weapons helps a bit though. But in the end, it means that a lvl 70 player, if they had put all their points in health, will have about 800 HP sans equipment, which translates to about 16 hits with an iron axe if they are not wearing any armor and are hit by a fully skilled NPC (+15% damage from skill), less if they get hit with a more powerful weapon. Same goes for NPC's, although some more epic ones usually go into thousand of HP's. Not very satisfactory, but can be done with minimal editing, in other words, quickly.

Another solution is to absolutely minimize the stat gain through leveling, both for the player and NPC's. This reduces a level 70 player to max 170 HP, which means they could take about 4 hits with an iron axe if naked and hit by a fully skilled NPC. Same goes with generic NPC's.

The problem here is that Bethesda used a lot of individual settings for named NPC's to make them more epic, and they used hefty health offsets, sometimes in the thousands, so you would end up pitting the player with 100-170HP against an NPC who has 1000-3000HP. With epic weapons and excellent playing skill, not impossible but hellishly difficult. The offsets can only be changed one by one via the CK and would require individual editing of hundreds and hundreds of actors.

A dilemma indeed. Thoughts?

Make the weapons hit for way more hp and leave character and npc hp alone? I dunno I have no clue about modding.

Edited by Elissiaro

If I do that, most lower level NPC's will be one-shotted, making archery extremely overpowered. At 4x damage increase, as it is now, both the player and low level NPC's can take about two arrow shots.

I will probably go for the no.1 solution. It will mean that occasionally you will have the porcupine situations, but for most generic encounters at the worst a character will be able to take six arrows from an iron bow, much less from a daedric one. Boromir took 4, so I guess it's ok. :P

This will free up time to focus on other features such as wounding system and combat fatigue, while also leaving the mod compatible with mods that add new creatures etc.

As it stands, the mod is already quite challenging to play, even against paltry "trash" NPC's you encounter at the beginning of the game you have to watch your step.

A good idea, if possible, would be that if you attack IMMEDIATELY (note: Within a 3rd of a second or something) after a parry, you should have a chance to disarm the enemy (read: knocking it out of their hands when they're off guard). I think it would be pretty cool, and while not always going to happen it would make the combat feel a lot more real and immersive :) Edited by 3cheesed