Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

All above will be in the mod (I believe) or already was suggested, thank you nonetheless for your input ( I'm like the mod spokesperson now, I feel important:D ).

You cant fill your bottles in standing water as its not realistic (drinking water from lakes and such is not sanitary, only Bear Grylls does things like this) and because it would be a pain to implement (as I understand).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the inventory grid? :Q___

I really hope there won't be any weather conditioning, like darker nights, as suggested before cause there is already a bunch of mods changing the lighting effects in the game.

Edited by Ulchishy

All above will be in the mod (I believe) or already was suggested, thank you nonetheless for your input ( I'm like the mod spokesperson now, I feel important:D ).

You cant fill your bottles in standing water as its not realistic (drinking water from lakes and such is not sanitary, only Bear Grylls does things like this) and because it would be a pain to implement (as I understand).

Id say let the player drink from standing water, but it will make them ill.

Much of the combat realism mod is being covered in Duke Patrick's Heavy Weapons Combat mod, which (if anything like his Oblivion mod) will be a well thought out and practical combat overhaul. I suggest taking a look at his readme, and concentrating on a "mod of a mod" for any areas where you disagree with him, thus saving yourself oodles of work by making his mod a pre-requisite.

Much of the combat realism mod is being covered in Duke Patrick's Heavy Weapons Combat mod, which (if anything like his Oblivion mod) will be a well thought out and practical combat overhaul. I suggest taking a look at his readme, and concentrating on a "mod of a mod" for any areas where you disagree with him, thus saving yourself oodles of work by making his mod a pre-requisite.

wow duke patrick is golden, is this fresh out of the oven?

Toning down the reward system would be a nice addition as well.

The game gets ridiculous since rewards scale up, and even a simple merchant can eventually rewards you with 2000 gold. Rewards should make more sense.

Duke Patrick has some great features that I would certainly like to include in the Combat Overhaul, like headshots. Need to ask him how he managed to pull off that one, awesome. I guess he used a script extender.

BUT, unless I missed something, Combat Overhaul is still the only mod which aims to *completely* replace the damage model (and not bog down your game in script lag hell). So yeah, there are already great combat enhancement mods out there, but afaik all of them still rely on vanilla damage and leveling system which makes challenge consistency impossible to achieve (and boy did I try). You simply cannot avoid all the weird situations where one bandit gets killed by a single hit and his boss, although clearly human and wearing pretty much the same armor, soaks up about 20 arrows to the face.

So what I'm doing is looking at all the best combat mods out there and incorporating their features to work with the new damage system Combat Overhaul brings. So in addition to getting rid of the level challenge inconsistency and bringing *realistic* damage model (also impossible to achieve with the vanilla system), CO will have all the popular features of other mods, such as dual wield parry, damage based hit staggering (works on the player too), tripping and falling when walking backwards during combat, combat endurance and locational damage. But the distinguishing feature of CO is the revamped damage model. It is actually so thorough I had to include a special config command just to re-enable god-mode for testing, since the vanilla god-mode command gets sidestepped. ;)

As for release, working on it, I got busy last week with RL work, that's how it is with modding. I'll post more news as soon as possible.

Also, thanks to all for their input and suggestions, I'm reading the thread even if I don't always have the time to write a response.