Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

I like your idea of making fights against monster more difficult. However, your mod will in conflict with mod like Skyrim Monster Mod. In reality, your overhaul combat mod won't be ony about technical aspects.

As long as new or modded creatures have the appropriate (vanilla) keywords attached to them, then the scripts will correctly sort them and apply appropriate modifiers. That's not much to ask. Worst come to worst, compatibility patches can be made. And yeah, Combat Overhaul, as part of the Total Realism project, goes further than just adjusting technical aspects of combat. The goal with the project is to create a very different playing experience than that of the vanilla game, with a much higher level of world interactivity and immersiveness - and to achieve that changes must be comprehensive.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Distinguishing enemy types is just brilliant.

I remember a "hardcore" mod for Oblivion that made me take into account the actual strengths and weaknesses of my enemies. For the first time of my life, I had realized that using fire against a Dunmer was the silliest idea ever. And it was so much fun.

So I'm definitely seconding that.

About magic, I recently downloaded a mod that scales magic damages with your skill level in the corresponding magic school. This is brilliant. Finally playing as a mage makes sense. Are you going to implement this in any way?

Distinguishing enemy types is just brilliant.

I remember a "hardcore" mod for Oblivion that made me take into account the actual strengths and weaknesses of my enemies. For the first time of my life, I had realized that using fire against a Dunmer was the silliest idea ever. And it was so much fun.

So I'm definitely seconding that.

About magic, I recently downloaded a mod that scales magic damages with your skill level in the corresponding magic school. This is brilliant. Finally playing as a mage makes sense. Are you going to implement this in any way?

I am currently experimenting with adding alternative damage support for magical attacks, though it's not as simple as for weapons due to how spells are handled. The idea is to make magic efficient and deadly from day one. If you can gut someone as a lvl 1 with a simple iron sword, it would make sense that you can also burn them to death with flames (of course the same can happen to you). But I'm not yet done with testing so I can't comment on how magic will be handled by the mod. If successful, it should make spell power entirely dependent not on your actual level but on your skill in that school. In either case, spells are going to be reworked to be lethal in Combat Overhaul so that mages can hold their own against archers that can kill them with a single shot (to the head) or warriors that can gut them with one or two strikes.

As for script lag, it is sometimes difficult to test properly since it seems that the level of performance depends on how "stressed" your system is. But there is progress. Simplifying the damage calculations and shortening the overall script is showing results. I am also tinkering with splitting the script into several smaller fragments that then can run parallel to each other, so weapon damage is handled by one script but magic damage is handled by another and so on. This should take advantage of the threading framework Bethesda has built for the script engine and further reduce chance of script lag.

Edited by Mansh00ter

Hello,

I read in the comment of this mod that it is somewhat bugged. Now I found a similar mod to this called Imp's More Complex Needs.

I don't want to make both modders competitive or something, but I have the bad feeling I'm doing something wrong.

All I want to know is what is the difference between this mod (TR) and the other one (Imp's) and which one should I choose?

To answer the last question I'd say that I prefer to have plain simple mechanism of eating/drinking/etc for my character nothing too complicated, just to spice up the game.

Looking forward for answer, thank you.

Hello,

I read in the comment of this mod that it is somewhat bugged. Now I found a similar mod to this called Imp's More Complex Needs.

I don't want to make both modders competitive or something, but I have the bad feeling I'm doing something wrong.

All I want to know is what is the difference between this mod (TR) and the other one (Imp's) and which one should I choose?

To answer the last question I'd say that I prefer to have plain simple mechanism of eating/drinking/etc for my character nothing too complicated, just to spice up the game.

Looking forward for answer, thank you.

As far as I know, Basic Needs are pretty stable for the majority of users. The only "bugs" are usually due to people not updating their game or because of a conflict with another mod, both of which I have little influence over.

As for gameplay, as far as I am aware, Imp's mod is more complex one by definition. I designed Basic Needs to mesh well with the medieval setting of the game, so there are no nutritional values present and the mod tries to keep things simple for the player. If you are hungry, eat. If you are tired, sleep. See water? Drink water (or fill your bottles for later). Got drunk? Fall down the mountain. Stuff like that. :)

I was reading about a mod named ''Legacy project'' adding a lot of immersion-friendly/useless things to skyrim like bread growing over time, character aging and such... And the lead modder talked about how, in the lore, magic is some kind of a taboo... And I got an idea... This mod and Mansh00ter's being the only mod i'm really looking for, i'm trowing the idea here too... Since magic become so deadly with the CO why no make it harder to be a mage ? The idea was, that the player could start without any knowledge of magic and would actually need to go to the college of Winter-thingny to learn how to use it... So, to be able to be a mage, you would have to make and epic voyage to the north of the land...

Anyway...

Keep up the good work and take your time Mansh00ter... Perfection is an hard thing to grasp!

The only problem with that is that players actually do not always start as Nords. They may have different background stories. Maybe they are a Breton or a Dunmer, or High Elf just passing through when they got caught in the events? Their cultures do not have magic as taboo, on the contrary.