An idea: Path of the Dovah

NeoH222

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/Neo_Hikato/PotDLogo.png

Playing through the main quest in Skyrim, I felt that there could be more to it. I am already close to the end, and I felt that there should be more story more quests that involves the dragons, more battles against Alduin, and of course more emphasis on the dragon soul that resides in the player. Alongside the quest, I felt that dragons should be, well, better. I heard many stories of dragons being killed by simple NPCs or creatures, being far from the feared creatures that they should be. As soon as a dragon appears, as I heard, almost everyone tried to kill it like it was just a normal creature or just downright ignore it. They should be more powerful, have more behavior and attacks, and be a creature that everyone would fear. And me, being the writer that I am, thought of things for this while trying to make it lore friendly.

The Main Quest

Tapping into the Dovah's Power

At a certain point in the main quest, the player would receive a letter sent by someone claiming that they know about the dragonborn's true heritage, and that they can help the player harness their true power if they meet. There is no name on the letter, only that this person is a friend of someone they know. Heading to the location mentioned in the letter, the player meets a red dragon named Dreth, who was apparently the one who sent you the letter. Dreth explains in advance that there is more to being a dragonborn than the legend tells, that he or she can tap into the dragon soul that resides in them. It turns out that the dragons are loosing faith in Alduin, and that some actually didn't swear their loyalty to him upon resurrection. Not only that, but there is a much deeper history with the dragons.

Accepting the dragon's offer, the dragonborn then must head to a dungeon in order to obtain the three words of power needed to activate the transformation. Unlike normal dungeons, this one is filled with puzzles. Any person can simply fight through hoards of monsters, but solving puzzles is harder. After obtaining the three words of power, the player returns to Dreth, who is pleased that they succeeded. He soon gives the player knowledge on the words of power, and insists the player to use it right away. Upon use, a scene starts showing the transformation, and soon, the player has both mortal and dragon forms.

Dragonrest

Despite acquiring this new form, Dreth warns its not enough. Alduin had years building up his army, using his Thu'um to convince them to join his cause. In order to combat Alduin successfully, the dragonborn must do the same. Dreth explains that he was a part of a faction known as the Order of Akatosh, a group of dragons who defied Alduin's rule and went for what the believed would be Akatosh's true wish for the dragons. The Order has long been scattered, but Dreth explains that there may be a way to rebuild it and continue it's goals. This invokes the main part of Path of the Dovah; the construction of the dragon sanctuary and city, Dragonrest, and rebuilding of the Order of Akatosh. This further extends playtime in the main quest, as well as build lore up and some roleplaying opportunities.

Dragon Behavior

Dragons, in a sense, would get a massive overhaul. Not only will players encounter dragons who are hostile, but upon getting to a certain point in the questline, they will encounter friendly dragons as well as encounters with two dragons battling each other. The dragons would all receive new attacks alongside their usual ones, including finishing moves against other dragons, including gaining new behaviors to keep the player on their toes. I haven't fully thought out this one.

Shouts

Besides the dragon transformation, I don't have much ideas for this. Possibly using abilities dragons use outside of Skyrim lore, I don't know.

This is just a bit of some ideas I got, and I would like suggestions. I don't have modding experience, sadly, but I felt like I should put this on the table just in case someone is willing. Hope its good.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1735/supportsdragonmod.png

Ω Copy this and support Playable Dragon Mods! Ω

Edited by Neo Hikato

Spoilers I suppose. warned.

I was dissapointed when I found that while I was -told- Some Dragons did not see Alduin fit for leadership only -one- decides to join you and I was rather hoping to join with the Dragons.. and.. stop playing them. perhaps they would give you a small bit of their essence that acts like a Dragon soul to add a word if you -proove- your worth to them rather then out-right slaying them. I'm rather fond of Dragons and whenever I have the option I'll side with them and kill Dragon-slayers or supporters of such things... like the blades.. I want to kill them so bad now.. I mean yes you'd still have to kill adleast 2 dragons to get to that point but it would be far more.. saticfying to turn a Dragon to an Ally. rather then kill it and have it fall and leave a messy skeleton.

Perhaps different methods of turning them friendly, some you have to use Corrosponding Shouts to the ones they're using, or have to match wits in conversation, or even do a small task for them.

But yes, I don't.. really care how its done to have the option to Ally a Dragon rather then slay it would be pretty Awesome.

Spoilers I suppose. warned.

I was dissapointed when I found that while I was -told- Some Dragons did not see Alduin fit for leadership only -one- decides to join you and I was rather hoping to join with the Dragons.. and.. stop playing them. perhaps they would give you a small bit of their essence that acts like a Dragon soul to add a word if you -proove- your worth to them rather then out-right slaying them. I'm rather fond of Dragons and whenever I have the option I'll side with them and kill Dragon-slayers or supporters of such things... like the blades.. I want to kill them so bad now.. I mean yes you'd still have to kill adleast 2 dragons to get to that point but it would be far more.. saticfying to turn a Dragon to an Ally. rather then kill it and have it fall and leave a messy skeleton.

Perhaps different methods of turning them friendly, some you have to use Corrosponding Shouts to the ones they're using, or have to match wits in conversation, or even do a small task for them.

But yes, I don't.. really care how its done to have the option to Ally a Dragon rather then slay it would be pretty Awesome.

Agreed. Not all dragons are evil, as we know about Paarthurnax. The thing is, I thought of this expansion to start off just after you defeat Alduin for the first time, and being close to the end of the game, I was hoping to have some sort of epic battle before the final confrontation with Alduin. Not only that, but there is a big deal in being Dragonborn, and yet your not given much. Most of the shouts you get are those you have to find, the Greybeards only teach you all of two shouts and 1/3 of one, and besides that its mainly an advance version of some spell I guess.

A Shout to make dragons friendly would possibly be one part of this idea. Since dragons respect those whose Voice, or Thu'um, is stronger than theirs, the player could possibly learn this shout at some point in the expansion to increase their own forces against Alduin's. The recruited dragons can then offer their own knowledge of the Thu'um to the player instead of having to be killed to gain it, but of course there should be a factor that determines if or if not the recruitment shout would work, just to make things fair. Another factor could be someway to determine the amount of dragons you recruited. Say, you recruited 24; in the large scale battle, 24 friendly dragons would fight with you alongside those you meet beforehand. Though I doubt this will work, with lag and all, it would be a good idea to have the amount of dragons you recruit to effect the progression of the quest. Possibly the more you get, the bigger the stronghold will be.

Edited by Neo Hikato

i agree, Dragons are actually weak (i have more Problems with Bears than with Dragons).

I understand Beths decision though. If Dragons were properly difficult (flying Lizardlike Creature weighing tons with thick armored skins who can toss Fireballs at you from a safe distance) it would be a game breaking ordeal for casual players.

Thats why we need a mod that at least makes Dragons harder to kill. Not impossible but so hard, that when you hear the Shout of a Dragon approaching your instincts tell you to "run for your life".

Since a mod is something optional and not needed for the game to run, everybody would be happy.

They should at least be tougher than normal creatures like bears and giants, but not too difficult that the player can't kill. The idea is to make the dragons more realistic and have wider range of behavior and attacks, but still having it so that they player can still kill them. Create more of a challenge in a way and also giving the player more strategies when dealing with a dragon.

The dragon transformation, in my own views, would help with that since it would bring the player on the same playing field as the dragon, making it less likely that they would be killed but still providing a challenge. Of course enemy dragons would need to be fixed to suit the new strategies while the player is in dragon form, such as acting differently when both are in the air and such, but overall it would be a intense experience for the player.

You guys are coming up with great ideas! I've got one too!

When you reach about 40 dragon souls, you can sacrifice them to eliminate the shout cool-down. Because at the end of the main quest-line, I felt that the Dragonborn could be stronger...

anybody else got that annoying feeling that the dragonborn should have been stronger?

I was constantly surprised that, that Pathurax guy kept on saying my Thu'um was really good, but I couldn't fire breath or frost breath as powerfully or as many times as a dragon >_>

40 Dragon souls might be too much, but thinking about it, unlimited charge? That is a worthy price to pay!

I also like the idea of transforming into a dragon, but I want it to be more of a challenge to obtain such a Thu'um.

I like the idea of befriending a dragon if your Thu'um is strong enough, but I was thinking of something like using a sequence of Thu'ums: the player would shout the weakest Thu'um they have, then shout a stronger one, and then an even stronger one, and so forth until the player reaches the strongest one; the dragon could then decide if your Thu'um is worthy enough for him to join you.

Edited by deama

You guys are coming up with great ideas! I've got one too!

When you reach about 40 dragon souls, you can sacrifice them to eliminate the shout cool-down. Because at the end of the main quest-line, I felt that the Dragonborn could be stronger...

anybody else got that annoying feeling that the dragonborn should have been stronger?

I was constantly surprised that, that Pathurax guy kept on saying my Thu'um was really good, but I couldn't fire breath or frost breath as powerfully or as many times as a dragon >_>

40 Dragon souls might be too much, but thinking about it, unlimited charge? That is a worthy price to pay!

I also like the idea of transforming into a dragon, but I want it to be more of a challenge to obtain such a Thu'um.

I like the idea of befriending a dragon if your Thu'um is strong enough, but I was thinking of something like using a sequence of Thu'ums: the player would shout the weakest Thu'um they have, then shout a stronger one, and then an even stronger one, and so forth until the player reaches the strongest one; the dragon could then decide if your Thu'um is worthy enough for him to join you.

Interesting idea with the cool-down thing. I agree that the Dragonborn could be stronger; he or she is the one who is supposed to defeat Alduin, so they should be at equal, if not stronger, power than other dragons. That is where the questline comes in, increasing the time between defeating Alduin the first time and the final battle. I am level 11 by the time I got to the last quest, but I felt that it should be up to 20 or so until you defeat Alduin, and even then you still got more to learn.

The dragon transformation won't be an easy to learn shout. I thought of the three words of power being hidden in some tomb or dwemer ruins, all scattered throughout a massive dungeon that contains loads of traps that either require your Shouts or some clever puzzle solving. Anyone can battle through numerous enemies, but solving puzzles is more difficult. Once you gain all three words of power, you can then gain the knowledge of them, which would involve a cool sequence in a way.

Hm, the idea you have with the Thu'um is interesting, though can you explain in detail? I am not sure what you mean by sequence.

In other news, I have decided to try and make this mod a reality. Though I am just a storywritter, and have little skill in modeling. If anyone would like to help, contact me. Though nothing can be done until the creation kit comes out..

Edited by Neo Hikato

Hm, the idea you have with the Thu'um is interesting, though can you explain in detail? I am not sure what you mean by sequence.

Well, once the player sees a dragon, he/she can either choose to perform the sequence or hunt-down and kill it. If the player chooses to perform a sequence to befriend them, then he/she needs to first shout the weakest shout they have, and then shout a stronger one, and then a stronger one then before, and keep doing it until he/she shouts all the shouts available. Depending on how powerful the dragon is, he will judge the worthiness of your Thu'um, if its good enough, he'll join you.

E.G if I've got only three shouts (Unrelenting force, Fire breath, Storm Call) fully leveled up I would shout them like this at the direction of the dragon:

Uncrelenting force (first level), Uncrelenting force (second level), Uncrelenting force (third level),

Fire Breath (first level), Fire Breath (second level), Fire Breath (third level),

Storm Call (first level), Storm Call (second level), Storm Call (third level).

Edited by deama

Well, once the player sees a dragon, he/she can either choose to perform the sequence or hunt-down and kill it. If the player chooses to perform a sequence to befriend them, then he/she needs to first shout the weakest shout they have, and then shout a stronger one, and then a stronger one then before, and keep doing it until he/she shouts all the shouts available. Depending on how powerful the dragon is, he will judge the worthiness of your Thu'um, if its good enough, he'll join you.

E.G if I've got only three shouts (Unrelenting force, Fire breath, Storm Call) fully leveled up I would shout them like this at the direction of the dragon:

Uncrelenting force (first level), Uncrelenting force (second level), Uncrelenting force (third level),

Fire Breath (first level), Fire Breath (second level), Fire Breath (third level),

Storm Call (first level), Storm Call (second level), Storm Call (third level).

I get it now. Kind of like a minigame.

I'm in love with every aspect of this idea and hope that a modder with a lot of skill and experience offers to help you. One of my friends didn't get the game because she loves dragons even more than I do [and wouldn't even slay fake ones as a result, hehe], so a mod like this might motivate people like her to experience Skyrim as well. I also don't like the idea of ALL of my characters being dragonslayers - I've often found myself wishing for some variation to the point of wanting to take the dragons' side in the story, fate of the world be damned.

I myself plan to make a basic shapeshifting mod to help people get started [inspired by Werewolf: The Awakening, which I thoroughly enjoyed playing with in Oblivion and was clever in its design], but that's all I can do at my current skill level. At any rate, it should be easier than in Oblivion because there's already a "transformation" mechanic in the game in the form of werewolves that will help me greatly. I'll have to settle for player.setrace until the CS comes out, though >_> [hurry up, Bethesda!]. Anyways, good luck! :3