Installing Mods?

Dragonpurse

I'm starting to think that there is difference between a game bought from gamestore or game bought using Steam!

I bought from Steam and mods can't be installed!

If i need a tool to install mods can someone point me to correct direction?

Your wrong, there is no difference. You are just doing something wrong.

Edited by KingFrostman

This is my data folder inside the Skyrim root folder:

http://i44.tinypic.com/25qygbo.png

I'm trying to install "No More Blocky Faces" by Xenius

Problem is, my game does not have folders but ".bsa" extension files

It does have folders as you can see by the Interface/Strings etc.

OK I have downloaded that mod and extracted it.

It gives me a folder called No_More_Blocky_Faces-1_30-30

Inside of that folder there is a Data folder. Copy it.

Paste it into your Skyrim directory.

It will say something along the lines of you already have a Data folder. Just overwrite it.

Now when you go into your Skyrim/Data folder you will see the added textures folder. All should be good to go.

I have a feeling some people are putting the mod Data folders inside the Skyrim/Data folder rather than the Skyrim root folder. That won't work.

In his defense (and mine) I'm doing exactly that, still. And still it doesn't work. I've deleted my data folder entirely prior to extracting the one given to me from that file, and then replacing it with the one given to me, and it's a no go still.

It will say something along the lines of you already have a Data folder. Just overwrite it.

Now when you go into your Skyrim/Data folder you will see the added textures folder. All should be good to go.

I have a feeling some people are putting the mod Data folders inside the Skyrim/Data folder rather than the Skyrim root folder. That won't work.

In his defense (and mine) I'm doing exactly that, still. And still it doesn't work. I've deleted my data folder entirely prior to extracting the one given to me from that file, and then replacing it with the one given to me, and it's a no go still.

Well deleteing the whole Data folder isn't a good idea as it holds all the bsa files for the game to work!

I don't have any other answers I'm afraid other than to maybe download a mod where the differences are quite drastic. Maybe the changing the gold mod. That way you'll definitely know if it's working or not.

Here's the deal, the only folders there for some of us are Interface, Strings and Video. Period. There are no other folders for non-steam users, and I can't imagine why there would be, given that the BSA files' purpose is to house these files/folders in a compressed state. It would make no sense whatsoever to have the files compressed in a BSA file AND also have them uncompressed in a folder that overrides the BSA files. It would double the size of the game. I can't imagine Bethesda making a 5GB mistake..

Solution:

With that said, all you do is simply make the folders yourself, and the mods will load. The files in the folders you create override the files within the BSA archives. I just installed 7 mods and all are working. Just be mindful, the folder structure has to be correct or it will not work.

Problem is, that some mods truly dont want to work and It is different for every player. I have like 8 mods and only 6 works. For me, despite the right installation path, mods "Cloths Improvement" and "Armor Improvement" dont want to work. Its like game is ignoring those files. I have few folders inside Textures folder, which were created by the mods I use - actors, armor, blood, clothes, landscape, sky. Clothes and Armor are fully ignored by the game and dont want to load. For other people it might be another folders, like I said - different for every player. For some players everything works. Ive seen some other people with this problem, and its probably something with the game... just wait for the patch, I dont know Edited by Icydead

Problem is, that some mods truly dont want to work and It is different for every player. I have like 8 mods and only 6 works. For me, despite the right installation path, mods "Cloths Improvement" and "Armor Improvement" dont want to work. Its like game is ignoring those files. I have few folders inside Textures folder, which were created by the mods I use - actors, armor, blood, clothes, landscape, sky. Clothes and Armor are fully ignored by the game and dont want to load. For other people it might be another folders, like I said - different for every player. For some players everything works. Ive seen some other people with this problem, and its probably something with the game... just wait for the patch, I dont know

Totally getting the same problem nothing seems to works its not something obvious like putting the files in a silly path before someone repeats that answer like they know s***.

Also do you see the mods being listed in the data files menu when they go in or not? I installed texture stuff blood/sky/models so maybe thats why i got nothing to show for it.

Totally getting the same problem nothing seems to works its not something obvious like putting the files in a silly path before someone repeats that answer like they know s***.

Also do you see the mods being listed in the data files menu when they go in or not? I installed texture stuff blood/sky/models so maybe thats why i got nothing to show for it.

No my mods are not listed in Data Files menu, because none of the mods comes with *.esm or *.esp file. I they were, then u would see them listed in Data Files menu. If Im not wrong, none of the so far released mods has the esp file. But this has nothing to do with this non-working mod situation. They should work, Its like my game just doesnt like armor and cloth texture folders, and thus refuses to load them. Its really weird. And it seems your game doesnt like even bigger spectrum of folders.

No my mods are not listed in Data Files menu, because none of the mods comes with *.esm or *.esp file. I they were, then u would see them listed in Data Files menu. If Im not wrong, none of the so far released mods has the esp file. But this has nothing to do with this non-working mod situation. They should work, Its like my game just doesnt like armor and cloth texture folders, and thus refuses to load them. Its really weird. And it seems your game doesnt like even bigger spectrum of folders.

Correct, since we don't have the Creation Kit yet we don't have .esp's or .esm's. The mods we have are generally REPLACERS, that means the game loads the modified file instead of the original stoged in a ,bsa archive. Because of this the path and filename has to be EXACTLY the same. In Oblivion and Fallout we also needed something called Archive Invalidation, but Skyrim seems to load replacements without it.

when I opened the no more blocky faces it just came up with the files there was no folder what do i do

edit ive created the folders manually ill go check if its worked

Edited by Tadger