Is Morrowind worth buying?

MooseTail

I've played Oblivion and beat it millions of times, and I was wondering if Morrowind is worth buying, Like is it good or is it like Oblivion? Either way I'm still getting the game. So is it worth buying?

Morrowind is superior to Oblivion in it's art style and story direction. It's really different than anything else you are likely to have played. Oblivion, by comparison, is extremely derivative and predictable, and looks like every fantasy world you've ever seen.

Sadly, it does show it's age by this point. That can be good, because it can support very heavy modification and extension due to the fact that nowadays most computers can breeze through the default stuff in there.

I came to Oblivion first, upon hearing of all the modding that was possible.

I played Oblivion and I liked the main story progression and how difficult the enemies were. I had to use strategy to actually win my first battle. I liked that. Also I liked the personality of some of the characters.

Whereas Oblivion is like a novel, Morrowind is like a choose you own adventure book. I decided to check out Morrowind next because it was also easily mod-able and it had a unique biome/cultural atmosphere.

I decided to play as a Dark Elf to oppose imperial expansion. Unfortunately the game still treats you as an outsider (would take me too long to re-script the entire game). I had fun ambushing the Legion and stealing their armor(You have to do it in a certain way, so as not to get arrested/fined). Then I noticed a shifty Nord was running things at a certain house and decided that he must go. Got a nice dagger from him and found out his secrets. Then I decided that the Fighters guild needed to go back home to Cyrodil, so I cleared them out. Got a nice item from a chest there. I always consult a list of story essential characters ,so that I don't whack characters needed to advance the story.

Get it, I've never had as much ability to choose my own adventure in an RPG. Just be advised that It can be more tedious than oblivion at times and certainly longer.

Morrowind made the player think, you couldn't just follow the compass marker and fast travel to the nearest stable, buy a horse and gallop off into the sunset, you had to read the journal and work your way without the help of a quest marker. Thats why Morrowind will be the GOTD (Game of the Decade). But definately worth buying. /rantover