Question about giving credit and permissions

I have a pistol that I have been working on for the last week that I will be releasing shortly to the nexus. I used the nif files from a weapon that was very similar to mine. I will be keeping the same file structure that the person had but all the meshes, textures and bgsm will be mine. The only thing that I will be using is the nif file structure that the other person had and the esp they set up. I used their esp as a template and then swapped out all of there meshes with my own. So nothing of theirs is left over all of it is my content.

Now my question is do I have to ask that persons permission to use the esp if I'm not using any of their content? Also do I need to give credit to a file structure? I was thinking that I should give credit to the file structure but I am not sure and wanted to know what are the rules on this? Just want to make sure that I fellow all the rules before I release my mod and give credit where it should be given. Thanks for any help that you all can give.

Always ask permission :smile:

Just be honest, tell him about your mod, idea and future plans for it, ask if it`s ok to use his model while using your own custom textures and that you will give him credits for the model by name and link so he will get some credits and some renewed attention for his own mod.

Don`t see any reason why he won`t give you permission as it`s mutually beneficial.

Thanks kamuchi for the reply but I'm not sure if you understand me correctly. I'm not using any of the content of the original mod. None of his models or textures will be used. I only will be using his esp set up.

Thank you as well KealVirum. I did think of that but most people don't start from scratch. Most people use a nif file from the game that is close to theirs. Like using the 10mm pistol. I did try this but I could not get my sights to line up. I went with this person nif to import my stuff to because their gun is the same size and I don't have to mess with the sights.

So I think I'm just going to write the mod author and tell them that I'm using their file structure and will give them credit for the set up of the nifs.

Just wondering what do other mod authors do if they use a nif from another member on the forums to get their mod into the game? Do you give credit to that and if so how do you do it?

Thanks kamuchi for the reply but I'm not sure if you understand me correctly. I'm not using any of the content of the original mod. None of his models or textures will be used. I only will be using his esp set up.

Thank you as well KealVirum. I did think of that but most people don't start from scratch. Most people use a nif file from the game that is close to theirs. Like using the 10mm pistol. I did try this but I could not get my sights to line up. I went with this person nif to import my stuff to because their gun is the same size and I don't have to mess with the sights.

So I think I'm just going to write the mod author and tell them that I'm using their file structure and will give them credit for the set up of the nifs.

Just wondering what do other mod authors do if they use a nif from another member on the forums to get their mod into the game? Do you give credit to that and if so how do you do it?

Ask for permission. If permission isn't given or you receive no response, don't use the asset.

Using the NIF or anything else from the base game is radically different than using a mod author's assets. Bethesda has given us carte blanche to all their assets (so long as we modify them in some way before distribution). Mod authors do not provide that carte blanche with their assets.

Edited by Reneer

the original esp setup meaning the framework right? As in you changed the leaves but the "tree" is his?

Give credit and ask permission.

Unless I'm mistaken if said author or another peaked under the hood it would likely be noticeable, and it's just polite.

I've got a number of "patches" to my name a couple small mods, I used the originals as a base and building the tree myself taught me a lot.. Worth the time.

the original esp setup meaning the framework right? As in you changed the leaves but the "tree" is his?

Give credit and ask permission.

Unless I'm mistaken is said author or another peaked under the hood it would likely be noticeable, and it's just polite.

I've got a number of "patches" to my name a couple small mods, I used the originals as a base and building the tree myself taught me a lot.. Worth the time.

Okay, thanks Thridstorm, that makes since.