Beware of Adware!

Spirit0f64

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one... love steam. Never ever had issues downloading games as they come out. no issues with it interfering with other programs. no spyware. and is way way way better then other companies software for launching their games... (cough windows live...).

Also never had any kind of problems with Steam, well only that classic one, I loose money more when it takes just few clicks to buy a game...

This is exactly how I found myself with 160 titles in my steam account. i just cant stop clicking the button :P

Hmm steam doesn't have malwares, but occasionally people will get 'readings' from Anti Virus reacting to them, even while I have the same scanner and it's not reacting to them.

Also note, when someone downloads it on their own, it reacts to the virus scanner, but when someone else downloads it and sends it to him, it doesn't trigger it.

What does this mean?

Malware was injected into the packet/file in the middle of downloading by a third party.

Because when connecting to steam, you connect from your ISP to the internet, to Valve's server, and that 'internet' segment is quite huge and smartasses who knows how to sniff packets can find 'traffics' at valve sites and try to exploit such traffics by sending infected or fake packets between the traffic...

Think of drug dealers using cars to deliver their goods across borders, that sort of thing, but more concealed...

But that's where the comparison ends because cyber security fails these days...

Edited by dra6o0n

Steam isn't exactly Adware, or Spyware or a rogue app of any kind really, but it does suck and does act like some of those at times.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh..... no... Steam is fine.

Might want to look up the definition for rogue software, put aside the fan boy denial and actually use a bit of intelligence.

Edited by chrismgtis