Graybeard bug?

Herculine

After going into the courtyard at High Hrothgar to learn my Whirlwind shout, I found that the quest would not continue to progress until I had saved the game and then reloaded the game from that save. Then the rest of the monks came out and we were able to get on with my training.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(Hope this was the right place to post.)

• 1 month later...

I've just started having that problem. When I arrive at High Hrothgar, all the other Graybeards are stuck praying in various locations of the temple and will not come out to greet me with the head Graybeard so I can learn the rest of the Unrelenting Force Shout. I also had a glitch with Lydia appearing after killing the dragon at the watchtower and having the Jarl of Whiterun assign her to me.

I uninstalled an older version of Skyrim, then reinstalled it and allowed Steam to patch it to version 1.3.10.0--that fixed the problem with Lydia, but not the Graybeards. The only way to get around that problem was to use the following command at the console:

setstage mq105 140

then use the console to give myself the rest of the unrelenting force and the whirlwind shout to start the Jurgen Windcaller quest.

I really wish Bethesda would do a better job of QA testing their games....:wallbash:

I've just started having that problem. When I arrive at High Hrothgar, all the other Graybeards are stuck praying in various locations of the temple and will not come out to greet me with the head Graybeard so I can learn the rest of the Unrelenting Force Shout. I also had a glitch with Lydia appearing after killing the dragon at the watchtower and having the Jarl of Whiterun assign her to me.

I uninstalled an older version of Skyrim, then reinstalled it and allowed Steam to patch it to version 1.3.10.0--that fixed the problem with Lydia, but not the Graybeards. The only way to get around that problem was to use the following command at the console:

setstage mq105 140

then use the console to give myself the rest of the unrelenting force and the whirlwind shout to start the Jurgen Windcaller quest.

I really wish Bethesda would do a better job of QA testing their games....:wallbash:

Having this issue, and this is 3rd playthrough, worked fine on the others. I have a sneaky feeling it may be a mod that places a set of rings in the Greybeard temple, going to try it. But yeah, same exact problem. I have an unpatched version with LAA (didnt update until the buggy patches get sorted)

Have had zero crashes, zero glitches until now.

setstage mq105 140

I have the same bug...

Greybeards fail to assemble no matter how I approach/wait/fast travel/reload etc.

Using setstage commands can bypass this problem but will not advance me to next quest.

To clarify- Way of the Word can be "completed" but the Jurgen Windcaller Quest

does not appear in my Journal.

Gamebreaking.....

I am having this same bug too. I'm on my third playthrough. I didn't have this bug the first time and had a minor version of it the second time. Now, when I go to the temple to meet the monks and get my training, the other monks are off praying and will not give me the appropriate shouts. Very bad. I will have to try that console fix listed above.

Same bug is being reported in several topics in the "official" forum as well.

Folks there are reporting NO successful workarounds with very few stones left unturned.

Consensus is that bug is patch related.

As for myself, even a fresh vanilla install patched to 1.3.10 with a reroll replicates the bug every time. This afternoon I will try a 1.0 install to try to get a save past this point....

I encourage everyone to make a bug report the Bethesda. Likely we will get a "we cant help with gameplay" response, however in my experience "the sqeaky wheel gets the oil"

Lets make a little noise....

I have made some gains through setstage commands (since my last post).

- Used player.sqs MQ105 to learn all available stages then activated them sequentially up to stage 140.

This successfully completed "Way of the Voice" and updated my map to include Ustengrav.

It was necessary for me to use a Dragon Soul to learn Ro..

( Was probably due to a missed stage since Whirlwind was granted ok)

Replaced the Soul with player.forceav dragonsouls x (x=# of souls I had)

-Quest to recover the horn did not appear in my journal.

-I then recovered the Horn and "Blade in the Dark" added to my journal without mishap.

Returned to Hrothgar before progressing and returned the Horn.

No quest update (since I did not have the quest...)

-Since setstageMQ105Ustengrav was ineffectual I resumed manually adding

remaining stages of MQ105 (160 thru 300).

Successfully learned last rank of "unrelenting Force" AND got the "greeting".

Afterwards I was able to get the location of a Shout Wall normally.

All of this was without Any response from the bugged Greybeards!!!

Since then I have progressed along the MQ normally thru Diplomatic Immunity.

Will have to see what happens when the story sends me back to Hrothgar....

Hope this will be useful to someone.