MLP debate

phycoknode

My take on the bronie situation:

It's a cartoon for children, but some non-children seem to like it.

Other people dislike it because of it's bright colorful cheery and cuteness overwhelms them so they don't like it.

Others still find that the cuteness is so overwhelming that it actually comes off as threatening to their worldview or masculinity or something. These people take the dislike to an overr-eactive level of hatred... This is their problem.

And then there's another group of people that maybe don't actually like MLP at all, but love to troll with it to see the people from the group above rage out over nothing.

Some people like MLP, but those people don't need to bring it up everywhere, same as I don't have to bring up the NInja Turtles or the Evil Dead everywhere. However, because some people do it to troll, I can see why some forums would have some sort of policy in place until the trolling fad goes out of style.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those who hate MLP are closet bronys in reality and don't want to admit the fact because they fear that their junk would get shorter as a result.

For those who do not know why people like this show it is made by Lauren Frost, as in the one who made some of the some successful shows. Therefore anything bad you say from now on will be null and void of any value. That is all.

I haven't watched MLP. It's not really my thing. However, do I even remotely care that other people do? Nope. On the other hand, the "brony" movement is raising awareness of how much some guys despise femininity and equate it with weakness, which is actually a big problem. These Templar-ish wannabe Moral Guardians of all that is masculinity make me queasy, not the thought of guys being feminine or liking things coded as feminine.

I haven't watched MLP. It's not really my thing. However, do I even remotely care that other people do? Nope. On the other hand, the "brony" movement is raising awareness of how much some guys despise femininity and equate it with weakness, which is actually a big problem. These Templar-ish wannabe Moral Guardians of all that is masculinity make me queasy, not the thought of guys being feminine or liking things coded as feminine.

Just curious, having read you through multiple threads over the year, is there anything you do not see through the prism of sexism? This thread is about a cartoon is it not? That if I am not mistaken is made for young girls? If older folks want to use their time in this preoccupation why not, there are far worse things to be obsessed with.

Just curious, having read you through multiple threads over the year, is there anything you do not see through the prism of sexism? This thread is about a cartoon is it not? That if I am not mistaken is made for young girls? If older folks want to use their time in this preoccupation why not, there are far worse things to be obsessed with.

Here's the thing for the uninitiated. MLP from what I've seen of it is farther reaching than just a "show for young girls". It's taken root among older audiences of both genders, and has become a beast unto itself, significantly departed from the 80's version. I have not seen the show myself, on account of an aversion I have to sickening cuteness, but have happened upon a few video clips and enough inspired works to get a fair idea of what it's all about and how it can be seen as both "awsome beyond words" as well as "a cancer on the internet". You would not see so much MLP related content on Deviant art, in game mods, and just about everywhere else users have an ability to share creative works if it were just a kid's show. There is even a MLP fighting game being developed by someone. The show itself probably instills a comforting feeling in highschool/college age people because it is not as conflicted, complicated, or drama filled as pretty much everything on TV. In some ways it can be seen as a reaction to the times, and a statement that people would much rather watch a cheery happy cartoon than watch a handful of idiots bicker with eachother for 40 minutes before the next show of greedy backstabbing sluts comes on (looking at you MTV). It's a show where problems are mostly minor and where the theme is getting along despite differences. Frankly, I feel it's a good thing in general if any of that passes along, the world could use more cooperation and tolerance.

Is MLP furry? The question is if it really matters. People are going to find just about any reason they can to hate something popular. Most of this pony hate is mostly just misplaced furry hate brought on by inadequacies in the person and staggering amounts of ignorance and intolerance. According to some of my sources, the brony movement is actually disliked by many in the fur community since it drowns out their own interests and themes and replaces it with something popular and arguably artificial.

"But what about the people who dress up for conventions and such?" you ask... Here's the thing, contrary to what an episode of CSI might suggest, not all furries are obsessive, sexcrazed, and in denial of the real world. Most of the "that's wrong" biases against convention goers in costume or "cosplay" for the sake of simplicity apply to all forms of cosplay when you really get down to it. There is no difference between wearing a fur suit or pony costume for a themed convention compared to a Startrek costume for a Startrek convention. Sure, you get a few nutjobs who take things too seriously, and a handful of creepy types, but most are just there to have fun with other people who have similar interests... Kinda like this forum.

Regardless, the haters are all the same. You could replace objections for MLP related content with just about anything else out there that individuals have a dislike for. It's just the same old hate and ignorance recycled and repackaged, and likewise it has no place on this site.

Ok, I understand that the name of this thread is "MLP debate", but would someone please explain to me why we need to debate over a cartoon?

Well we don't need to debate over peanut butter and tea either :biggrin:

A lot of people like the show and it seems to be a popular thing to argue about.