MLP debate

phycoknode

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched MLP. It's not really my thing. However, do I even remotely care that other people do? Nope. On the other hand, the "brony" movement is raising awareness of how much some guys despise femininity and equate it with weakness, which is actually a big problem. These Templar-ish wannabe Moral Guardians of all that is masculinity make me queasy, not the thought of guys being feminine or liking things coded as feminine.

Just curious, having read you through multiple threads over the year, is there anything you do not see through the prism of sexism? This thread is about a cartoon is it not? That if I am not mistaken is made for young girls? If older folks want to use their time in this preoccupation why not, there are far worse things to be obsessed with.

Frankly, I think you've made a bit of an ad hominem, treating my noticing sexism as a bad thing. See, the point I was trying to get across here was that we, as men, need to stop tormenting each other over perceived effeminacy. Liking MLP doesn't make people creepy, furries, or effeminate--the latter two being quite harmless. (I refuse to get into a discussion about the creepy parts of furry fandom. Every fandom has its nauseating elements.)

This is another one of those mostly internet fascinations, that I don't really see or hear about in the real world. Only on internet gaming forums.

A question I got for the ones who like MLP, who are adults, do you express this same like in real life, or is this just an internet expression thing?

Just curious, because I never seen a 20ish year old dude wearing a MLP T-shirt, or have a MLP sitting on their desk.

Edited by Beriallord

Frankly, I think you've made a bit of an ad hominem, treating my noticing sexism as a bad thing. See, the point I was trying to get across here was that we, as men, need to stop tormenting each other over perceived effeminacy. Liking MLP doesn't make people creepy, furries, or effeminate--the latter two being quite harmless. (I refuse to get into a discussion about the creepy parts of furry fandom. Every fandom has its nauseating elements.)

@BB2

It was an observation not an assault, if the thread was about Sexism, Feminism, Chauvinism, Misogamy , Misandry or even Social attitudes then I could see it's relevance. My perception through reading you over the months is a degree of hypersensitivity with what you perceive as 'sexism' and it seems to be your 'bete noire' if pointing that out offends you, then I'm sorry for any unintended offense but the observation was valid.

@BB2

It was an observation not an assault, if the thread was about Sexism, Feminism, Chauvinism, Misogamy , Misandry or even Social attitudes then I could see it's relevance. My perception through reading you over the months is a degree of hypersensitivity with what you perceive as 'sexism' and it seems to be your 'bete noire' if pointing that out offends you, then I'm sorry for any unintended offense but the observation was valid.

It is relevant. People say that guys liking things meant for little girls is "creepy" and various other bad things. People who are tormenting grown men for liking cute and happy things instead of liking gory and therefore "manly" things is a problem. It is why guys who like MLP are being attacked by trolls all the time. It is why, in 2011, it is seen as shocking and transgressive for guys to like MLP in the first place.

There are standards in society that are set by the majority as to what a social norm is. Nobody has to agree with what the social norm is. But things like this are definitely outside of the social norm, and what is considered socially acceptable by most. In the real world at least, maybe not on gaming forums.

There are standards in society that are set by the majority as to what a social norm is

Wait, what? Did everybody get together at some point and decide by majority vote what the gender norms should be?

It only takes a small portion of a culture to enforce societal norms. And those who enforce most strongly often break the norms themselves (e.g., lawmakers who work against basic human rights for homosexuals despite their own rest-stop-bathroom hookups). So what does it mean to be outside a norm that approximately no one agrees with, and approximately no one is happy with?

There are standards in society that are set by the majority as to what a social norm is

Wait, what? Did everybody get together at some point and decide by majority vote what the gender norms should be?

It only takes a small portion of a culture to enforce societal norms. And those who enforce most strongly often break the norms themselves (e.g., lawmakers who work against basic human rights for homosexuals despite their own rest-stop-bathroom hookups). So what does it mean to be outside a norm that approximately no one agrees with, and approximately no one is happy with?

Yeah I remember Larry Craig and his footsie in the bathroom stall, but what does that have to do with this?

All I am suggesting is certain behavior is going to be looked at strangely by most. There is no social norm set in stone. It all depends on your peers/family/friends/neighbors. If people are more comfortable expressing themselves on the internet than they are in real life, then there certainly is a problem.

All I am suggesting is certain behavior is going to be looked at strangely by most. There is no social norm set in stone. It all depends on your peers/family/friends/neighbors. If people are more comfortable expressing themselves on the internet than they are in real life, then there certainly is a problem.

I believe that on the internet the virtue of not being face to face with actual people emboldens them to express views and predilections that would they otherwise might think twice about expressing to someone they might need to have an ongoing social interaction with. There might be no social norm set in stone but in the real world there are social conventions that must be dealt with, whether fair or unfair they exist. I might truly believe that creatures from Andromeda walk among us and on the internet I could shout it out, but if I did the same while having cocktails with my neighbors they would be right in thinking I'm a tad off the wall.

I believe that on the internet the virtue of not being face to face with actual people emboldens them to express views and predilections that would they otherwise might think twice about expressing to someone they might need to have an ongoing social interaction with. There might be no social norm set in stone but in the real world there are social conventions that must be dealt with, whether fair or unfair they exist. I might truly believe that creatures from Andromeda walk among us and on the internet I could shout it out, but if I did the same while having cocktails with my neighbors they would be right in thinking I'm a tad off the wall.

I agree with that. Its not socially acceptable to be a racist, but many still hold those beliefs at heart, but just don't spout them out or let everyone know.