RPG does not equal 'numbers'

Rennn

Needless to say, DnD pretty much started mainstream rpg playing. Because of the style of that imagination-based rpg, numbers were a huge thing. There are numbers for literally everything (and I mean 'literally' in its true sense, not merely for emphasis). It's so widely known (and still played) that it has become synonymous with 'role-playing game'.

Now, we get people who say that something is less of an RPG because it has fewer numbers. This is not the case, and it's actually pretty annoying. Skyrim is the most 'role-play' focused rpg to release in the last five years, maybe in the last decade, maybe even the deepest role-play ever due to its mix of graphics, gameplay, and astounding world-building and depth.

I've heard many people say that because Bethesda removed attributes, Skyrim doesn't even count as an rpg. This is irritating to me, and possibly to many of you. Once again, 'role-play' does not mean 'numbers', and to say that something is less about playing a role simply because you don't have a complex dice system is just incorrect. Skyrim is the role-playing game, not because it has a lot of numbers and hit checks and will saves, but because you live your character and practically breathe Nordic air as you play.

Long live Skyrim! Long live Jarl Ulfric!

Edited by Rennn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needless to say, DnD pretty much started mainstream rpg playing. Because of the style of that imagination-based rpg, numbers were a huge thing. There are numbers for literally everything (and I mean 'literally' in its true sense, not merely for emphasis). It's so widely known (and still played) that it has become synonymous with 'role-playing game'.

Now, we get people who say that something is less of an RPG because it has fewer numbers. This is not the case, and it's actually pretty annoying. Skyrim is the most 'role-play' focused rpg to release in the last five years, maybe in the last decade, maybe even the deepest role-play ever due to its mix of graphics, gameplay, and astounding world-building and depth.

I've heard many people say that because Bethesda removed attributes, Skyrim doesn't even count as an rpg. This is irritating to me, and possibly to many of you. Once again, 'role-play' does not mean 'numbers', and to say that something is less about playing a role simply because you don't have a complex dice system is just incorrect. Skyrim is the role-playing game, not because it has a lot of numbers and hit checks and will saves, but because you live your character and practically breathe Nordic air as you play.

Long live Skyrim! Long live Jarl Ulfric!

Kudos to you sir.

To make Skyrim even more RPG, get rid of leveling and the perks.

Sleep well, Eat healthy and Exersize to improve Health, Magica and Stamina, and have trainers teach skill perks.

No statistical intrusions.

:thumbsup:

ozi

Sleep well, Eat healthy and Exersize to improve Health, Magica and Stamina, and have trainers teach skill perks.

ozi

Actually i was considering "learning" to mod this particular game for these very reasons.

I love Skyrim's character 'creation'.

"Ohh cool.. another sword.. have at thee, bandit with my whirling blades of... ohh a bow.. this is so much cooler.. have at thee, bandit with my... what's this? A tome of Fireball? Sweet!"

You're not locked into anything. You could start of being a mage, then decide to be an archer, or a sneak thief. Or a "Magarcherief", a fireball there, a pickpocket here, an arrow over there...

ozi

Actually i was considering "learning" to mod this particular game for these very reasons.

That'd actually be a pretty awesome mod.

Edited by Rennn

My group of pen and paper role-players and I have discussed the fact that as we get older the less 'roll' and more 'role' we put into role-playing. Skyrim feels like a world, a living world. It is almost natural to fall into it. Leveling to me is an immersion breaker, and I agree, a mod like that would be super-awesome. I loved hardcore FO:NV for that fact: sleep, you must sleep. Eat, drink! I think some of the 'you look sick' or 'you look tired' comments are back-end code reminders for you to do those in Skyrim, but tangible changes actually tied to the characters' behavior would be great.

I don't consider Skyrim a great RPG game (though a great game nonetheless) not because of attributes but because of really linear and small dialogues. It's better than Oblivion, but it's still POOR. There's no real interaction with companions either or choices in the plot. Just no :psyduck:

Have to agree, One of the best RPG series in recent years is the STALKER series, and they don't have levels, or even really many stats at all. Mass Effect 2, an absolutely classic RPG as well, punches well above its weight among third person shooters too. I think it is inevitable that as games writing improves the need, and especially the desire, for complicated numerical systems will fade. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think RPGs need to be twitch games, based on reflexes and skill with the controls, rather I think that the better RPGs let the players play their own game. I think Fallout New Vegas has so far been the best game to pursue this course, because it is so liberated in its design that you practically don't even have to fight to do well. Skyrim, ultimately, you're going to have to do a lot of killing, New Vegas, you can get really far with just a kind word.