The Pending Death of Fallout 4 - Murder by Mod System

montybu

The difference is that you didn't decide to buy 100 or more mustards to put on your hotdog, which you would do for the game. At even a dollar a piece, that would break the bank for some, and the more mods the more cost.

So it isn't a risk of a couple dollars, as in your example, it is a risk of potentially hundreds of dollars as you buy mods, decide you don't like them then buy another, find it doesn't work with other mods you bought, etc.

Not that modders don't deserve compensation. I just don't agree with your analogy.

If a person decides they don't like a paid-for mod, it breaks, doesn't work with their game, etc., all they need to do is simply get a refund. And before anyone asks, yes, the previous paid mod system allowed you to get refunds (see FAQ section). There is no greater risk involved that people don't already deal with in every other aspect of their lives, whether buying video games or buying mustard.

Edited by Reneer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is that you didn't decide to buy 100 or more mustards to put on your hotdog, which you would do for the game. At even a dollar a piece, that would break the bank for some, and the more mods the more cost.

So it isn't a risk of a couple dollars, as in your example, it is a risk of potentially hundreds of dollars as you buy mods, decide you don't like them then buy another, find it doesn't work with other mods you bought, etc.

Not that modders don't deserve compensation. I just don't agree with your analogy.

Stop panicking like that. There is no guarantee for all mods perfectly working with each other. And there never will be. If you do not like that, you do not have to buy any mod.

That's because you're not paying attention to context. Moksha was talking about the death of spontaneous modding purchases. You're now attempting to extrapolate my specific analogy to a general one, it can be done it's just trickier.

For example: (Spoilered because I was clearly getting carried away).

There's a lot more than mustard in my cupboard. I have ketchup, barbecue sauce and sweet-chilli which could all go nicely on my hotdogs. Fortunately I didn't need to buy them all at once, they last quite a while so I just buy one when I need to and then get the others on another week's shopping trip. Many of them weren't spontaneous purchases either, I may have tasted them at a friend's house, they may come from a well-established brand I trust or their may have recently been a Gopher's consumer review on that particular sauce product.

Now I eat a lot of hotdogs, in fact according to steam I've spent over six hundred hours eating hotdogs but they're not the only food that I eat. Occasionally I feel like eating spring rolls and unfortunately those sauces aren't compatible. This means I have to also consider buying some soy sauce and wasabi. However according to steam I don't spend many hours eating spring rolls so I'm much more sparing with how frequently I budget towards soy sauce and wasabi, after all I don't want to throw my money away when hot dogs are really my main interest.

Every so often I need to take up eating new meals. Perhaps when Burgers VI is released (although apparently I'm waiting on some sort of microwavable container technology before that happens) I'll have to spend a lot of money on buying my supply of Burgers. Unlike sauces, which might be a few dollars each, it could be $60 or more to get set up to eat burgers, plus I won't be able to use my hot-dog or my spring roll sauces so there'll be a big re-investment there too. As such I might research my decision to get into eating burgers more thoroughly, or I might trust that since I like Bethesda brand hot dogs their burgers must be good too. Either way, the price, reliability and information that I have about burgers will factor into my purchase choices.

Now I understand that some people think that their hot dogs were released with some form of promise from Bethesda brand hot dogs that sauces would always be free. You could argue that sauce manufacturers chose to make hot-dog sauces with that knowledge and people bought hot-dogs with that knowledge so it would be unfair to change that. I get that line of reasoning and so I could understand people saying that hot dog sauces should remain free and that Bethesda could sell their burgers when their released with the understanding that sauces might cost extra to legitimize the process.

However if paid sauces ever comes out for hotdogs, that argument is completely different from saying that no one could ever spontaneously impulse buy hot dog sauces. Clearly some people, such as myself, will occasionally purchase a sauce just to try it out without necessarily filling their shopping cart with every type of sauce in the store and bankrupting themselves.

The real moral of the story... never try to come up with analogies when you're hungry.

But this isn't complicated and I don't need food analogies to explain this to people, anyone modding already made the decision to purchase Fallout 4 and understands how buying software works.

That's because you're not paying attention to context. Moksha was talking about the death of spontaneous modding purchases. You're now attempting to extrapolate my specific analogy to a general one, it can be done it's just trickier.

For example: (Spoilered because I was clearly getting carried away).

There's a lot more than mustard in my cupboard. I have ketchup, barbecue sauce and sweet-chilli which could all go nicely on my hotdogs. Fortunately I didn't need to buy them all at once, they last quite a while so I just buy one when I need to and then get the others on another week's shopping trip. Many of them weren't spontaneous purchases either, I may have tasted them at a friend's house, they may come from a well-established brand I trust or their may have recently been a Gopher's consumer review on that particular sauce product.

Now I eat a lot of hotdogs, in fact according to steam I've spent over six hundred hours eating hotdogs but they're not the only food that I eat. Occasionally I feel like eating spring rolls and unfortunately those sauces aren't compatible. This means I have to also consider buying some soy sauce and wasabi. However according to steam I don't spend many hours eating spring rolls so I'm much more sparing with how frequently I budget towards soy sauce and wasabi, after all I don't want to throw my money away when hot dogs are really my main interest.

Every so often I need to take up eating new meals. Perhaps when Burgers VI is released (although apparently I'm waiting on some sort of microwavable container technology before that happens) I'll have to spend a lot of money on buying my supply of Burgers. Unlike sauces, which might be a few dollars each, it could be $60 or more to get set up to eat burgers, plus I won't be able to use my hot-dog or my spring roll sauces so there'll be a big re-investment there too. As such I might research my decision to get into eating burgers more thoroughly, or I might trust that since I like Bethesda brand hot dogs their burgers must be good too. Either way, the price, reliability and information that I have about burgers will factor into my purchase choices.

Now I understand that some people think that their hot dogs were released with some form of promise from Bethesda brand hot dogs that sauces would always be free. You could argue that sauce manufacturers chose to make hot-dog sauces with that knowledge and people bought hot-dogs with that knowledge so it would be unfair to change that. I get that line of reasoning and so I could understand people saying that hot dog sauces should remain free and that Bethesda could sell their burgers when their released with the understanding that sauces might cost extra to legitimize the process.

However if paid sauces ever comes out for hotdogs, that argument is completely different from saying that no one could ever spontaneously impulse buy hot dog sauces. Clearly some people, such as myself, will occasionally purchase a sauce just to try it out without necessarily filling their shopping cart with every type of sauce in the store and bankrupting themselves.

The real moral of the story... never try to come up with analogies when you're hungry.

But this isn't complicated and I don't need food analogies to explain this to people, anyone modding already made the decision to purchase Fallout 4 and understands how buying software works.

I am getting hungry because of reading this.