Stop Internet Censorship!

Farlo

<snip>

Well at least I can take comfort knowing I'm not the only person on the internet who grasps what censorship actually is.

Now if people could just wrap their heads around what illegal activity is, there'd be no need for the RIAA/MPAA/etc to flail about trying to stop people from stealing their stuff by asking Congress to draft legislation on topics NONE of them actually understand well enough to act on.

The tech sector, the ones who will actually be tasked with implementing the penalties, are telling everyone flat out that the methods are bad - they're not telling you that stopping piracy is bad. Yet go to just about any tech news site and the comment sections are filled with people who are anti-SOPA because it'll stop them from obtaining their ripped movies, music, and games. People who somehow got it into their heads that they're entitled to steal stuff rather than have to pay for it.

How would the bill stop piracy?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Well at least I can take comfort knowing I'm not the only person on the internet who grasps what censorship actually is.

Now if people could just wrap their heads around what illegal activity is, there'd be no need for the RIAA/MPAA/etc to flail about trying to stop people from stealing their stuff by asking Congress to draft legislation on topics NONE of them actually understand well enough to act on.

The tech sector, the ones who will actually be tasked with implementing the penalties, are telling everyone flat out that the methods are bad - they're not telling you that stopping piracy is bad. Yet go to just about any tech news site and the comment sections are filled with people who are anti-SOPA because it'll stop them from obtaining their ripped movies, music, and games. People who somehow got it into their heads that they're entitled to steal stuff rather than have to pay for it.

I hope you understand that my problem is with the methods, not with stopping piracy, as I'm all for stopping piracy.

Even if you manage to get the bill through, the Internet is simply far too big for it to comb for piracy. Unless you actually stop the exchange of the Internet, you can't stop piracy, unfortunately.

Yeah, sadly, although i wish that weren't the case.

• 2 weeks later...

And there's more;-

British student faces extradition to the USA

There is an almighty row over here in Britain about this because of (a) the grossly unequal extradition treaty between Britain and the USA (the US refuses to extradite murderers because their crimes are apparently political but expects us to send them computer geeks), and (b) USA wanting to try someone who has never left the UK for something that is not a crime here. In effect, trying to dictate OUR internet policies and legal proceedings.

The political and press outrage over both this and another internet related extradition case is, I hope, the start of us saying "Aw nuts" to Obama, SOPA, old Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all. My money is on neither Richard O'Dwyer nor Gary Mackinnon being sent to the US. I am generally pro-USA, but the bullying is getting a tad much right now.

And there's more;-

British student faces extradition to the USA

There is an almighty row over here in Britain about this because of (a) the grossly unequal extradition treaty between Britain and the USA (the US refuses to extradite murderers because their crimes are apparently political but expects us to send them computer geeks), and (b) USA wanting to try someone who has never left the UK for something that is not a crime here. In effect, trying to dictate OUR internet policies and legal proceedings.

The political and press outrage over both this and another internet related extradition case is, I hope, the start of us saying "Aw nuts" to Obama, SOPA, old Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all. My money is on neither Richard O'Dwyer nor Gary Mackinnon being sent to the US. I am generally pro-USA, but the bullying is getting a tad much right now.

@Ginnyfizz

As you well know I am generally pro British but this is copyright infringement of US source materials, if the situation was reversed and some geek from California was distributing British intellectual property lets say films which was detrimental to the always precarious economic position of the British film Industry..would that be just fine? And just out of curiosity which murderers are we refusing to extradite? Surely you are not referring to the Guantanamo detainees, because I remember clearly during the height of the IRA bombings that the UK wanted us to detain and allow extradition suspected Irish terrorists that had committed no crime on US soil. People in glass houses...

all this does is take away rights the whole piracy thing is just a cover for it

www stands for world wide web right? well this is an attempt at the us trying to police the would and it most likely wont work because other countries wont stand for that then when it makes the us look bad no one will want anything to do with us and we will be screwed

http://www.facebook.com/pages/People-Against-SOPA-and-PIPA/314374648602168

Edited by azdesertws

all this does is take away rights the whole piracy thing is just a cover for it

www stands for world wide web right? well this is an attempt at the us trying to police the would and it most likely wont work because other countries wont stand for that then when it makes the us look bad no one will want anything to do with us and we will be screwed

The world wide web doesn't mean you can steal what you want because you think they can't find you, there is an entire generation that have come to believe that they are ENTITLED to have things for free, guess again. There is an old saw that goes "There is no such thing as a Free Lunch", everything comes at a price even freedom.