Idle chatter on a Custom Companion

I've finished working on voice acting and lip sync-ing for a major update to my mod. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15420/? Now I just need to add idle chatter, what the companion will say randomly when you get close to it or something. For whatever reason she stays mute all the time, not even a text subtitle pop-up even though I placed voice files correctly.

What I did:

- Made a parent group of dialogue lines in the Misc tab of the dialogue quest.

- Made dialogue lines.

- In the group I Ticked random and force all children random

- I added condition GetInFaction HasBeenCompanionFaction == 1

- I did nothing on the individual dialogues.

Am I missing something in there?

Irony, I think I found a partial solution. In the dialogue quest data tab we have a tick box "Add Idle topic to Hello" This did made the companion to speak a random dialogue, but it's not nearly as often as I'd expect... Hmmm wonder if there is a way to increase a frequency.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this post is almost four years old but if someone had answered it a couple days ago it would have saved me a lot of time. The frequency of random comments is controlled by actor values idlechattertimemin and idlechattertimemax. I checked three vanilla companions Curie, Cait and Piper, they were all set at 480 max and 240 min. The vanilla companions seem to spout off a line about once per game hour. The custom companion I'm working on was set at 300 max an 240 min, she was saying a line about twice per game day. I changed hers to 50 max and 40 min and she now chatters about every 40 or 50 game minuets on average. She has done lines in as little as 20 game mins. and has taken as long as 1.5 game hours. I'll make it more like vanilla before release but it's good for testing now.

• 1 year later...

Not to necro again, but I will add my experience to the list. The idle timer seem to be controlled by the dialogue quest built for the NPC not so much the idlemin and max actor property, there is box labeled Hours Until Reset this controls when the NPC's can speak that line again.

Now what we perceive as idle comments are actually Hello's that are triggered by a radius that the player breaks then the Npc will address the player and fire a random line (assuming you set it as random) , you can control how often a specific line is fire during that radius with the ours until rest, can also put in specific location triggers.

True idle lines are spoke to no one, and example is Diamond City Shops that yell out random lines to grab your attention to buy stuff are a true idle lines.

Lines talking about eating a Salisbury Stake for example are in fact a "hello" controlled by the radius.

My problem, and I am going to assume other authors MAY have this problem too, was that once a quest that controls that dialogue fires, those variable are baked into the quest, and your save. To test your changes you need to revert to a save before that quest was active.

My problem, and I am going to assume other authors MAY have this problem too, was that once a quest that controls that dialogue fires, those variable are baked into the quest, and your save. To test your changes you need to revert to a save before that quest was active.

Yes I have found this.

As a workaround I tried setting up several NON start game enabled dialogue quests that a controller quest could start and stop to try and clear states.

That seems to work, but, story manager (which seems to evaluate/control the actor dialogue stack) is slow to recognise and add new dialogue topics to the stack from freshly started quests (even at prioirty 99) so they take a while to register and it looks like nothing is happening. Which I guess is why all dialogue quests are running start game enabled.