Crashing at Launch

Hwangchung

Hi, all! I picked up Morrowind a while back through Steam and finally had time to get around to playing it. Unfortunately I can not get the game to run.

It's a completely fresh install, but whenever I go to launch it, it crashes immediately. The launcher loads, and clicking play brings up the Morrowind window, but then an almost immediate crash. The video doesn't load, but I can occasionally get a split second of audio. Running it directly from the .exe gives the same error. Only the standard "Morrowind has stopped working" message comes up.

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling, running in XP compatability mode, running as admin, validating files... but nothing seems to work.

There are no mods attached yet, so there's no conflicts there.

I'm running Win7, have a gtx970, and 8GB of ram. So I should be fine on specs. :tongue:

Anyone have any ideas that might help me out? I really would like to try what seems to be most people's favorite Elder Scrolls game.

Edit: I've tried installing it to another directory outside of Steam's default and disabled one of my monitors just in case, but the results were still the same. Turning off Steam's overlay didn't help either. I have the newest drivers, and even tried a few previous ones just in case.

Edited by Hwangchung

try lowering you screen resolution a little bit. i'v got an old game called freelancer, and it won't start on 1080x1920 either. i then lowered the resolution just a little bit and it magically started up xD try it out, you never know if it might work. :smile:

Oh i just lowered it on my desktop.

and if you have a new directx3D maybe you need some files from an older version. otherwise, nothing else comes to mind.

Edited by metalstef1989

A redditor helped me figure out a way to get it working, and posting here if anyone finds this while googling the same issue.

On their recommendation, I downloaded OpenMW and used that to launch the game. It opened with no issues that I can tell. Hope this helps anyone else that may have the same problems that plagued me!