Journal/Playermade Books

simsfreak63

Just for fun, I've been Sitting down every time i sleep (at an Inn or otherwise) and writing a page in a IRL journal, Detailing my adventures. After all the time I've spent doing this, all I could think is "jeez, this would be so much easier if i could do this in game."

Throughout the game, you come across hundreds of books, and several are people's journals. I think it'd be fun for the player to have the ability to write his own book inside the game. I don't know how hard that would be to do, but I have faith in the Nexus community.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Personal attacks of any kind?

Personal attack: Your father smelt of elderberries!

This would be fairly difficult to do. The entire mechanism for reading text dynamically into a book would have to be done by the modder. I also am somewhat at a loss as to how it could be better to have the journal in the game than in real life. You can read and write in it just as well in real life, and in real life you can show it to people much more easily than you could in the game.

If it's just an object in the game that you're after, as long as you record the text in a text editor somewhere, adding it to the game in the form of a book from outside the game is very easy to do via the Creation Kit, if Skyrim is anything like Oblivion and FO3 in that regard. Every so often you could edit your .esp and paste the next chapter of your journal into the appropriate text box, to keep the journal updated in game.

Edited by Aluminumfoil

Personal attack: Your father smelt of elderberries!

This would be fairly difficult to do. The entire mechanism for reading text dynamically into a book would have to be done by the modder. I also am somewhat at a loss as to how it could be better to have the journal in the game than in real life. You can read and write in it just as well in real life, and in real life you can show it to people much more easily than you could in the game.

If it's just an object in the game that you're after, as long as you record the text in a text editor somewhere, adding it to the game in the form of a book from outside the game is very easy to do via the Creation Kit, if Skyrim is anything like Oblivion and FO3 in that regard. Every so often you could edit your .esp and paste the next chapter of your journal into the appropriate text box, to keep the journal updated in game.

My main reasoning is, It totally breaks the immersion to have to stop and write down a name, or a town, ect. every 10 minutes. if there was a way to just open up the inventory, type a few keys to jog your memory, then write the actual entry later, that'd be fantastic.

and I would want to, say, keep a list of my favorite potions and how to make them, or locations of good places to get ingredients.

• 8 months later...

I'm still waiting for this mod... WE STILL NEED IT!!!

Just did a search for "journal" and there's probably a dozen of threads like these all asking for the same thing.

An in-game-editable journal.

At this point I don't even care if I can change font/color/whatever... Just want something I can put a quick note in for the many unmarked quests without trying to keep a notebook next to my PC which breaks the immersion.