ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Fo4 will not load game/ start new game with the .ini edits for mods

GeneralOfTheEnclave

I'm still in the same boat as @ClockworkWriter I'm currently waiting for F4SE for an update. I at first thought it was one of my mods but it is in fact F4SE and the INI files. I launched without any use of F4SE and as soon as I added it crashed. I'm not the greatest computer scientist so let's all put our heads together on this please, we're probably not the only two.

I'm currently waiting for F4SE for an update.

I use 1.6.9 and I have the current update for F4SE and Place Everywhere. There are mods that are crashing the game because of Bethesda's changes to Fallout4.esm. So don't wait for something to happen because nothing will magically fix things. Disable the mods in blocks of 5 or whatever you need to do to fine the mod or mods that cause the crash.

Edited by Sharlikran

I'm currently waiting for F4SE for an update.

I use 1.6.9 and I have the current update for F4SE and Place Everywhere. There are mods that are crashing the game because of Bethesda's changes to Fallout4.esm. So don't wait for something to happen because nothing will magically fix things. Disable the mods in blocks of 5 or whatever you need to do to fine the mod or mods that cause the crash.

That's the thing. I have 0 mods installed right now. Just the extender and fresh install.

If I load regularly, the game save selection loads, but crashes on any save game load.

Disable Minutemenoverhaul.esp and see if your game loads.

I disabled -as well as uninstalled- Minutemanoverhaul.esp and my game would still not load using F4SE and the Fallout4Custom.ini edit. I went ahead and tested some more variations and here is what I found:

1. Loading without F4SE or Minutemanoverhaul.esp but with Fallout4Custom.ini edits: game/save loads normally, all meshes/textures working.

2. Loading without F4SE but with Minutemanoverhaul.esp enabled and with Fallout4Custom.ini edits: game/save loads normally, all meshes/textures working.

3. Loading with F4SE with Fallout4Custom.ini edits and all mods enabled: Crashes on/after Bethesda logo

4. Loading with F4SE with Fallout4Custom.ini edits and only Minutemanoverhaul.esp disabled: Crashes on/after Bethesda logo

5. Loading with F4SE and all mods enabled but without Fallout4Custom.ini edits: game/save loads, but some mods do not load fully (missing textures/meshes)

6. Loading with F4SE and Fallout4Custom.ini edits but with all mods disabled: Crashes on/after Bethesda logo

7. Loading with F4SE and Fallout4Custom.ini edits but with all mods/DLC disabled: Crashes on/after Bethesda logo

So, this seems like one of two issues: (1) Balsac and I are experiencing a rare incompatibility between the Fallout4Custom.ini edits and F4SE or (2) Both of use are experiencing an issue where a mod -even disabled- has 'hard-baked' some change into the game that even disabling does not neutralize and which is causing the aforementioned F4SE and ini edit incompatibility.

The problem with issue two seems to be that I have a number of mods that might cause this, Balsac indicates he has no installed mods, just a fresh copy of the game and F4SE.

Also, I ran my entire mod list enabled through FO4Edit and received no errors.

Perhaps there's something system-wise that might be causing this?

Perhaps there's something system-wise that might be causing this?

There is no automatic FO4Edit error checking routine by just loading your plugins. Also the "Check for errors" routine in FO4Edit isn't fully updated. In addition to that "Check for errors" will probably give false errors for the DLC because Bethesda made some edits to their own files that should not be made such as deleting entire records in use by other records. Some of which get changed by the CK if you edit a copy of the record.

It looks like you are trying to find what causes the game to crash with INI edits but they are safe changes that I use myself. However, they are the only changes I have made. So be sure you only add the info for loose files. Then as suggested you should try only having a few mods enabled at a time.

While I can see something being baked into your save, which happened for Skyrim, I don't see that being the cause of the crash. There is even one mod, I forget which, that requires another mod installed. The plugin isn't dependent on the mod itself rather that you need the mesh from the mod. The author's mod requires that mesh instead of asking the author of the mesh permission to be used in the mod. Which is an implicit dependency. So anything could be causing it. You can also have INI files installed into your data folder that could be changing things that really shouldn't be changed. Also, although I know Spring Cleaning is a popular mod I have suggested people not add the INI tweak it requires for the Combined Objects and I have suggested disabling it.

I'm sorry but it has to be a mod at this point but which there is no way to know.

Edited by Sharlikran

That's the thing. I have 0 mods installed right now. Just the extender and fresh install.

What version of Fallout 4 are you using? Have you verified the integrity of the game cache? Have you closed and reopened Steam in the system tray? Try it, I have to do it somethimes when it updates wrong. Have you ran the Fallout 4 Launcher? Have you made a Bethesda.net account and without using F4SE or INI edits, have you logged into Bethesda.net from in game at least once. It has been a requirement for a few versions now. Have you uninstalled your game and made a new Steam Library outside of program files by going to Settings -> Downloads and then installing to the new location?

Edited by Sharlikran

What version of Fallout 4 are you using? Have you verified the integrity of the game cache? Have you closed and reopened Steam in the system tray? Try it, I have to do it somethimes when it updates wrong. Have you ran the Fallout 4 Launcher? Have you made a Bethesda.net account and without using F4SE or INI edits, have you logged into Bethesda.net from in game at least once. It has been a requirement for a few versions now. Have you uninstalled your game and made a new Steam Library outside of program files by going to Settings -> Downloads and then installing to the new location?

I have indeed signed into Beth.net because I thought it was going to be something a dumb as when GFWL was around. There are only issues when F4SE comes into play, and seeing as mods need it, kind of not cool.

I got passed the bethesda logo screen. Now I crash on New Game. My Scripts folder was messed up for some odd reason.

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
SpringCleaning.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
Robot Home Defence.esm=1
SettlementKeywords.esm=1
Homemaker.esm=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
Armorsmith Automatron.esp=1
Armorsmith Far Harbor.esp=1
dd-enhanced blood basic.esp=1
CBBE.esp=1
NoObjectLimit.esp=1
AGCP's Face Details Add-on.esp=1
InfiniteFusionCore.esp=1
HappyPills.esp=1
SPECIAL-070.esp=1
LongerPowerLines3x.esp=1
SC_ExpandedScrapList.esp=1
GlovesOfTheCommonwealth.esp=1
Jacket.esp=1
NanoSuit.esp=1
NanoSuit_AWKCR_AE.esp=1
HN66-SiriusArmor.esp=1
Tactical Flashlights.esp=1
Eli_Utility Jumpsuits.esp=1
Fallout Suite.esp=1
CROSS_PlasRail.esp=1
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul.esp=1
AkaWaterWorld.esp=1
MojaveImports.esp=1
NukaRadBans.esp=1
AtomicRadio.esp=1
Blues Radio DBR.esp=1
Boston Pirate Radio.esp=1
Get Schwifty Radio 2.0.1.esp=1
MugglesJoints.esp=1
RadioEnhanced_1.1.esp=1
Radioliberty.esp=1
Wolf100.esp=1
Ephla's Unique Beverages.esp=1
More Where That Came From Diamond City.esp=1
zWInsanity.esp=1
Port-A-Diner Perfection.esp=1
VisibleWeapons.esp=1
Scroungers Weekly.esp=1
MAGS.esp=1
Companion Infinite Ammo.esp=1
Collectable_Cars.esp=1
Collectable_Trucks.esp=1
companion_DogMetal.esp=1
Multiple Floors Sandboxing.esp=1
EveryonesBestFriend.esp=1
Crafting Workbench.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Automatron DLC.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Faction and Quest Requirements.esp=1
Crafting Workbench - GlovesOfTheCommonwealth Patch.esp=1
New Craftable Items by Tamayo831.esp=1
Waterworks.esp=1
WET.esp=1
WET Clearer.esp=1
Radiant Clouds and Fogs.esp=1
Minutemenoverhaul.esp=1
Homemaker - SK Integration Patch.esp=1
Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp=1
Port-A-Diner Perfection [Homemaker Patch].esp=1
SMH.esp=1
LegendaryModification.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LM.esp=1
LegendaryModificationCSA.esp=1
LegendaryModificationGroknak.esp=1
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp=1
LegendaryModificationRemoveLevelEC.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LMRemoveLevelEC.esp=1
LegendaryModificationMiscRemoveLevelEC.esp=1
LegendaryModificationGroknakRemoveLevelEC.esp=1
LegendaryModificationCSARemoveLevelEC.esp=1
Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power SKE.esp=1
Wastelander's Cookbook.esp=1
[PPE] Wastelander's Cookbook -- Mojave Imports [Patch].esp=1
LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp=1
Robot Home Defence - Settlement Keywords.esp=1
Craftable Vault 81 Cure (Earned).esp=1
BTInteriors_Project.esp=1
NegativeAffinityIsPositiveAffinity.esp=1
NoAffinityCooldown.esp=1
Business Settlements.esp=1
SanctuaryRoundUp.esp=1
SanctuaryParts.esp=1
ABP Paintings.esp=1
ABP Paintings - Sets =01=02=50=G=B.esp=1
Lore Friendly Posters.esp=1
WelcometoGoodneighbor.esp=1
weightless.esp=1
Utopia Generator with defense.esp=1
ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-DLCVersion.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-Collectibles.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-AID-VIS-WI-Weightless.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-MISC-VIS-Weightless.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-Patch-DLC03-VIS.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-Patch-DLC01-VIS.esp=1
Eli_Faction Housing Overhaul - AiO.esp=1
DD_Tinas_Cookiepocolypse_merged.esp=1
Perk Magazine Material Fix.esp=1
THBrows.esp=1
Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp=1
Glowing Animals Emit Light - Far Harbor.esp=1
AtomCatsRadio.esp=1
Edited by balsac

@balsac, so there isn't much I can do by looking at your load order. This probably won't resolve your issue but I would suggest running LOOT. When you run LOOT click sort but if you don't like how it sorts your mods don't click apply it's optional. However, you do have to click sort to see the error messages. Resolve your error messages first. I mainly suggest running LOOT because I see you have the SKE version of Streetlights Use Passive Power and the old version installed. LOOT would warn you about that. Also you shouldn't use Homemaker - SK Integration Patch.esp with SKE.

As mentioned, Bethesda is changing Fallout4.esm with blatant disregard for how it breaks mods. The only way to find the cause of your issue is to only enable certain mods at a time. If you had issues with your scripts folder maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall a mod or two. However, I would have no idea how to suggest when and when not to do that nor any way to know if you should do it at all.

Edited by Sharlikran