Nexus Mod Manager - Exclamation Point?

CaptainChaos

Hi, I just started using Nexus Mod Manager. I downloaded a few mods (I can't believe how productive the community has been in only a week!). Anyway, it has an "!" exclamation point next to the version number of a mod I downloaded (glowing ore veins) and I'm not sure what that means - is it outdated? is it safe? is it something technical a lay person like me does not need to worry about? any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

It just means that the uploader has been slack and the version number in the mod's /fomod/ folder does not match the version number on the mod's website. You can change the version number in the .xml file to match the website's which will get rid of the ! and thereafter alert you if the modder updates the version number on his page.

It's advisable to check any mod archives you download before installing them anyway. The manager just copies everything in the same location as the archive's /fomod/ folder into Skyrim's /data/ folder. If the copied folders are not /textures/ and/or /meshes/ then the mod will not work, so you will need to fix about half of the archives you download if you want to use the mod-manager.

Wow, that's good to know. And disappointing. I thought Nexus MM was supposed to make this easier! I'm not a modder, nor do I have any kind of real experience programming or hacking these files, other than the ini files, so despite modding Oblivion quite a bit, I guess deep down I'm still very noob.

I am not sure I have any kind of XML editor. Also, where would these XML files go? Are they in the Data directory? I couldn't find any there (I guess the mods I DLd were textures).

Also, more embarrassingly, I am not sure of how do I check the archives and for what am I looking exactly?

Thanks again for all of your help. Mods really make the game go from excellent to unbelievable. Oblivion mods turned my game into an entirely different one at the time - I couldn't believe all massive mods and game play changes they had, so I am looking forward to experimenting here as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'v got the same problem for Serious HD Re-texture Landscape. If someone could show where we can find this .xml file and how we can change the version number I would be very grateful.

I do not use Mod Manager so I have no distinct idea where the .xml file is located but you can easily open them with notepad or any other text manager with a C++ extension.

• 10 months later...
I'm having the same problem with 2 mods I downloaded with the manager. Where does the Mod manager download the .xml files that need to be updated to? Is the version history in the properties of the file or do I just change the text in notepad?